Author Topic: Why only three days  (Read 43565 times)

cyberman

Re: Why only three days
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
If Jesus had really resurrected the whole world would have known about it!

What, you mean it would have caused the beginning of a new religion, three hundred years later the roman emperor would kneel and call Jesus King, and two thousand years later billions of people would still be going on about it? Is that the kind of thing you think would have happened?

But it is only a matter of belief. If Jesus was really who he claimed to be, why did he jet up to heaven instead of sticking around to the present day after he 'resurrected', then there would be no doubt about it!

So, if there was some guy knocking around now claiming to be the risen Jesus, and saying he had been sticking around for two thousand years just so there could be no doubt, you would totally believe him? I don't think so.

Surely if the guy was what he claimed to be everyone 2000 years ago, and since would have no doubt. As some kind of deity he should have been capable of making his deityness clear to all. Obviously Jesus couldn't do that and it was only his followers who believed, not even his own family was he able to convince!

I'll take that as a 'no' then, shall I?

Are you saying, Cyb, you wouldn't believe him either?

Ah, the favourite technique of atheists with nothing to say - write "are you saying.." followed by something which clearly hasn't been said!

So, you're saying you hate cheeseburgers, then?

cyberman

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:21 PM »
I answered it!

So, would you believe him or wouldn't you?

floo

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
I answered it!

A real deity, rather than a mythical one as featured in the Bible, would have no problem convincing me and the rest of humanity it existed.

cyberman

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
I answered it!

A real deity, rather than a mythical one as featured in the Bible, would have no problem convincing me and the rest of humanity it existed.

Would you believe him or wouldn't you?

floo

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
I answered the question, can't you read? ::)

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »

What, you mean it would have caused the beginning of a new religion, three hundred years later the roman emperor would kneel and call Jesus King, and two thousand years later billions of people would still be going on about it? Is that the kind of thing you think would have happened?

But it is only a matter of belief. If Jesus was really who he claimed to be, why did he jet up to heaven instead of sticking around to the present day after he 'resurrected', then there would be no doubt about it!

So, if there was some guy knocking around now claiming to be the risen Jesus, and saying he had been sticking around for two thousand years just so there could be no doubt, you would totally believe him? I don't think so.

Surely if the guy was what he claimed to be everyone 2000 years ago, and since would have no doubt. As some kind of deity he should have been capable of making his deityness clear to all. Obviously Jesus couldn't do that and it was only his followers who believed, not even his own family was he able to convince!
Jesus convinced at least his mother and his half-brother James as James went on to lead the church in Jerusalem. What do you think convinced James?

Did he convince his mother?
Acts 1:14.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

cyberman

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »
I answered the question, can't you read? ::)

Yes, and I still don't know whether you would believe the man in my scenario or not.

Quoting a question and then writing stuff after it isn't necessarily answering it, you know

Alien

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »

Jesus convinced at least his mother and his half-brother James as James went on to lead the church in Jerusalem. What do you think convinced James?

What do you think convinced the yank who bought London Bridge?  People do fall for things, Al!
That would be the American who thought he was buying London Bridge and bought London Bridge? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2275097/The-batty-American-bought-London-Bridge-LONDON-BRIDGE-IN-AMERICA-BY-TRAVIS-ELBOROUGH.html

What do you think convinced James?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
Eh? There's forty days between the resurrection and the ascension.

There's forty days between the resurrection and the ascension; allegedly.

ippy
AO, tut tut. Remember that you need to prove the existence of God, the inspiration of the Scriptures and the divinity of Jesus every time you get into a conversation with ippy.

jjohnjil

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »

What do you think convinced the yank who bought London Bridge?  People do fall for things, Al!
That would be the American who thought he was buying London Bridge and bought London Bridge? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2275097/The-batty-American-bought-London-Bridge-LONDON-BRIDGE-IN-AMERICA-BY-TRAVIS-ELBOROUGH.html

What do you think convinced James?

As I wasn't around to ask him, Alan, I could hardly say.  It may have been because it looked a good scam to go along with, who knows? 

What do you think it was that convinced James, do you think it was brotherly love, because if he hadn't have been able to convince his own brother he could hardly have expected to convince anyone else!

Except the Alans of this world, of course. 

jjohnjil

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Ah, the favourite technique of atheists with nothing to say - write "are you saying.." followed by something which clearly hasn't been said!

Ah, the favourite technique of theists with no answers - simply change the subject!

Yes, I don't mind cheeseburgers, Cyb, now would you have believed the guy you're hounding Floo about?

cyberman

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »

Ah, the favourite technique of theists with no answers - simply change the subject!

Yes, I don't mind cheeseburgers, Cyb, now would you have believed the guy you're hounding Floo about?

probably not. why do you ask?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »
1) Would you believe anyone who claimed to be 2000 years old?
2) In human form, even God can only be in one place at a time: by returning to heaven, he made it possible for the advocate/comforter/counsellor/... (aka the Holy Spirit) to be in more than one place at a time.
3) How much science is about belief?  Have you actually experienced/been present at any of the simple experiments that shape modern scientific thinking, let alone any of the more complex ones?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jjohnjil

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »

Because you seemed concerned whether or not Floo would believe  him, why did you ask her? 

ippy

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »

ippy
AO, tut tut. Remember that you need to prove the existence of God, the inspiration of the Scriptures and the divinity of Jesus every time you get into a conversation with ippy.

Yes but what's the point having a long involved discussion about magical mysterious supernatural subject here, that's has no supporting evidence, that in tern would make it worth the trouble if there were any reality in this magical mystical superstitious, at the moment, nonsense.

ippy 

Alien

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »

As I wasn't around to ask him, Alan, I could hardly say.  It may have been because it looked a good scam to go along with, who knows? 

What do you think it was that convinced James, do you think it was brotherly love, because if he hadn't have been able to convince his own brother he could hardly have expected to convince anyone else!

Except the Alans of this world, of course.
I would think meeting Jesus after his resurrection might possibly have had something to do with it. 1 Corinthians 15:1-8.

Alien

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »

ippy

Yes but what's the point having a long involved discussion about magical mysterious supernatural subject here, that's has no supporting evidence, that in tern would make it worth the trouble if there were any reality in this magical mystical superstitious, at the moment, nonsense.

ippy
Don't take part then.

ad_orientem

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »

ippy

ippy

I do wonder why you take part in these discussions then.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »

I want to frame this post and put it on the wall for posterity  :-*
"It is finished."

jjohnjil

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »

Islam did a very similar thing too, are you and Alien Muslim/Christians then?

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
absolutely not they could have my head first
"It is finished."

ippy

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »

ippy

ippy

I do wonder why you take part in these discussions then.

I find it fascinating that people are so willing to be taken in by such obviously man made nonsense, bit ghoulish I know, it's a bit like but not exactly like seeing the bearded lady, it's strange we're into the 21st century and we still have people that believe this stuff.

Come up with credible evidence I'll join you; can't see that'll ever be happening.

ippy 

Shaker

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
Yup! ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

Islam did a very similar thing too, are you and Alien Muslim/Christians then?
As far as I understand the founder of Islam died at a grand age having been a successful temporal ruler who established an empire.

I don't know how similar that is to the life of Christ.

cyberman

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 07:19:24 PM »

Because you seemed concerned whether or not Floo would believe  him, why did you ask her?

Because she had postulated that if Jesus had hung around all these years instead of, as she put it, jetting off to heaven, then everyone would believe.

You did read what led up to the question, I assume..?