Author Topic: Why only three days  (Read 43593 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Why only three days
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
Surely if the guy was what he claimed to be everyone 2000 years ago, and since would have no doubt. As some kind of deity he should have been capable of making his deityness clear to all. Obviously Jesus couldn't do that and it was only his followers who believed, not even his own family was he able to convince!
Floo, you seem to forget that today some 2 billion people believe (or at least claim to believe) that Jesus was who he said he was.  Not quite sure of the multiplier that involves when one remembers that there were probably only 18 or 20 such people at the time of his crucifixion - and about 120 by the time that Peter 'stood up and was bold' (Acts 1:15). 
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
A real deity, rather than a mythical one as featured in the Bible, would have no problem convincing me and the rest of humanity it existed.
Do you have any evidence for that claim, Floo?   ;D

If it is so, how would you expect such a 'real deity' to convince you?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jjohnjil

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
If Jesus had really resurrected the whole world would have known about it!

What, you mean it would have caused the beginning of a new religion, three hundred years later the roman emperor would kneel and call Jesus King, and two thousand years later billions of people would still be going on about it? Is that the kind of thing you think would have happened?

I want to frame this post and put it on the wall for posterity  :-*

Islam did a very similar thing too, are you and Alien Muslim/Christians then?
As far as I understand the founder of Islam died at a grand age having been a successful temporal ruler who established an empire.

I don't know how similar that is to the life of Christ.
Read Alien's post again and maybe you'll understand ... but I won't hold my breath.

BeRational

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:47 PM »
A real deity, rather than a mythical one as featured in the Bible, would have no problem convincing me and the rest of humanity it existed.

I would answer that question for myself by saying . You God is all knowing and all powerful,  so he would know what would convince me, and be able to do it.

Your God has not done so, so either it does not care or does not exist.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
What do you think it was that convinced James, do you think it was brotherly love, because if he hadn't have been able to convince his own brother he could hardly have expected to convince anyone else!
Don't know about you, jjohn (do you have siblings?) but not being able to convince one's brother or sister doesn't mean that one isn't who one claims to be.

BeRational

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
What do you think it was that convinced James, do you think it was brotherly love, because if he hadn't have been able to convince his own brother he could hardly have expected to convince anyone else!
Don't know about you, jjohn (do you have siblings?) but not being able to convince one's brother or sister doesn't mean that one isn't who one claims to be.

It does if you are a God!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:07 PM »

I would answer that question for myself by saying . You God is all knowing and all powerful, so he would know what would convince me, and be able to do it.

Why would He want to convince you?  You are free to make your own choice.  That is how Jesus taught:  if you don't want to know, fine, leave it.     Except, of course, you can't leave it.  You seem to have made your own choice, so what are you blathering on about?
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

cyberman

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »

I would answer that question for myself by saying . You God is all knowing and all powerful,  so he would know what would convince me, and be able to do it.

Or chooses to leave it up to you, rather than simply reprogramme you into a believer

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
Eh? There's forty days between the resurrection and the ascension.

Or not depending on which gospel writer you believe.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
Surely if the guy was what he claimed to be everyone 2000 years ago, and since would have no doubt. As some kind of deity he should have been capable of making his deityness clear to all. Obviously Jesus couldn't do that and it was only his followers who believed, not even his own family was he able to convince!
Floo, you seem to forget that today some 2 billion people believe

So not even a simple majority and Islam is coming up fast on the inside.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »
Eh? There's forty days between the resurrection and the ascension.

Or not depending on which gospel writer you believe.
That's interesting. Which writers have different lengths of time? Are you saying Luke has a different length of time to the one Luke has?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
And how would that be - my not being God?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
So, are you saying that, being God, Jesus could have 'arranged' for his siblings to understand/be convinced?  Where does that leave the gift of free will that we, as humans, are blessed with?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »
So, are you saying that, being God, Jesus could have 'arranged' for his siblings to understand/be convinced?  Where does that leave the gift of free will that we, as humans, are blessed with?

Do we freely choose our beliefs? How does that work then?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
I find it fascinating that people are so willing to be taken in by such obviously man made nonsense, bit ghoulish I know, it's a bit like but not exactly like seeing the bearded lady, it's strange we're into the 21st century and we still have people that believe this stuff.
I'd agree, ippy, and point out that, seeing as we are in the 21st century, its strange that so many people believe in stuff that they have never seen, never even experienced - just been told about it by other people who have been told about it by other people - who may have read about it in a journal, which may only give one explanation of the events that are being referred to - several times over.

BeRational

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »

I would answer that question for myself by saying . You God is all knowing and all powerful, so he would know what would convince me, and be able to do it.

Why would He want to convince you?  You are free to make your own choice.  That is how Jesus taught:  if you don't want to know, fine, leave it.     Except, of course, you can't leave it.  You seem to have made your own choice, so what are you blathering on about?

Some Christians think that God wants all to know and believe in him.

Clearly he must want people that can believe on bad evidence.

Why does your God not want people that need clear evidence that cannot easily be undone?

cyberman

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »

Why does your God not want people that need clear evidence that cannot easily be undone?

Is there such a thing?

BeRational

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »

Very simple.
Your beliefs are not chosen. Compelling evidence will force a belief on you

Why does God not give good evidence for his existence?

Why does he act like he does not exist?

BeRational

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »

Is there such a thing?

Yes.

I believe London is the capital of England.

That is not easily undone.

cyberman

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »

Very simple.

What do you think would constitute 'good evidence'?

cyberman

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »

Is there such a thing?

Yes.

"London is the capital of England" isn't evidence, it is a fact. A conclusion, if you like.

BeRational

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »

Very simple.

Why does god not know what will convince me?

Shaker

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
Who was it who ended centuries of philosophical pondering at a stroke by determining once and for all that we have free will, and where and when was this momentous annnouncement made?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

cyberman

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

Very simple.

Why does god not know what will convince me?

Who says he doesn't?

Oh look, you dodged a question. How unusual. What do you think would constitute 'good evidence'?

BeRational

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »

Is there such a thing?

Yes.

"London is the capital of England" isn't evidence, it is a fact. A conclusion, if you like.

It is a belief I have based on evidence.

If God exists that too is a fact. Where is the evidence?