Author Topic: Why only three days  (Read 43483 times)

BeRational

Re: Why only three days
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »
In what way is referring to evidence backtracking in regard to choosing to believe something?  If anyone is backtracking its those who seem to want evidence on which to base their choices, only then to denounce evidence as something that denies one freedom of choice.

A valid point. Do the atheists here hold that they base their beliefs upon evidence, or that they have no control whatsoever over what they believe?

I have no choice at all about my beliefs.

Don't you?  I have choice about mine: I choose to think that you're an idiot;  but I am happy for you to try and persuade me to make an alternative choice.

You cannot choose your beliefs.

Can you choose to believe your God does not exist?

If not, then you have failed and proved me right.

Do you believe in your God?

I made my own choice about my beliefs a long time ago, after much thought and soul-searching.  At times, way back, I wavered, but then came back to my belief.  That was my choice, not forced upon me, not inevitable.

You have avoided the question.

Can you choose now to NOT believe in your God?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2015, 07:32:18 AM »
In what way is referring to evidence backtracking in regard to choosing to believe something?  If anyone is backtracking its those who seem to want evidence on which to base their choices, only then to denounce evidence as something that denies one freedom of choice.

A valid point. Do the atheists here hold that they base their beliefs upon evidence, or that they have no control whatsoever over what they believe?

Don't you?  I have choice about mine: I choose to think that you're an idiot;  but I am happy for you to try and persuade me to make an alternative choice.

I made my own choice about my beliefs a long time ago, after much thought and soul-searching.  At times, way back, I wavered, but then came back to my belief.  That was my choice, not forced upon me, not inevitable.

If I wish, yes.. But I choose to believe.  Clear now?
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Sassy

« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2015, 07:38:39 AM »
If Jesus really did resurrect why didn't he make sure everyone, including Herod and Pilate, see him?

You mean it would make a difference?
Christ came to fulfill the word of God. They like everyone else throughout history are no more important than any other person.
As Abraham said:

King James Bible
And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

It is a matter of faith you can accept what God teaches or deny it.
But you cannot deny the fact it always comes to pass...
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2015, 07:40:23 AM »
If Jesus had really resurrected the whole world would have known about it!

The Whole World does... :o ::)
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »

That is a LIE! ::)

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »

I think the meaning was intended to convey that knowledge of Jesus and His story is planet-wide; not that, literally, everyone knows. Don't be absurd!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:39:48 AM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »
Not quite, Floo.  I agree that there are a few tribes that, having never been contacted by people outside their vicinity, are barely known to the rest of humanity.  However, the information about Jesus' death and resurrection has, over the centuries, been spread to a very large proportion of the globe.  In some cases that has since been covered up/banned/forgotten - think of the situation in the Middle East and the growth of Islam in areas that were the birthplace of the Christian church.  Or do you believe that 'konwing about it' is simply a single generation issue, which is what you argument seems to be leading up to.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jjohnjil

« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
Not quite, Floo.  I agree that there are a few tribes that, having never been contacted by people outside their vicinity, are barely known to the rest of humanity.  However, the information about Jesus' death and resurrection has, over the centuries, been spread to a very large proportion of the globe.  In some cases that has since been covered up/banned/forgotten - think of the situation in the Middle East and the growth of Islam in areas that were the birthplace of the Christian church.  Or do you believe that 'konwing about it' is simply a single generation issue, which is what you argument seems to be leading up to.

Of course most people have heard of JC, almost as many as have heard of Santa Claus!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2015, 10:27:06 AM »

Of course most people have heard of JC, almost as many as have heard of Santa Claus!

So what?
BA.

jjohnjil

« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »

So what?

Exactly!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
According to stories written about Jesus after the fact...

I think you need to reflect on who is making the naive posts here.
Are you suggesting that documentary evidence about other things isn't written after the fact? 

No, and you have to be equally careful with any document that "prophesies" an event, especially if the document was written after the event happened.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2015, 10:39:40 AM »
That's a bit too vague to be helpful. Would you please be more specific. My question was a subtle way of pointing out the question of how the ascension is treated in Luke's gospel and (Luke's) Acts. Is that what you were referring to.

You claim the ascension happened 40 days after the resurrection.  Can you point to the place in each gospel and Acts where this is stated, please.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

BeRational

« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

NO.

Because you still believe in God.

You have to not believe it exists to pass the test

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2015, 04:25:18 PM »
I think that I'd apply Floo's 'L' word to that claim, jj.  How many people in China and India have heard of Santa Claus, do you think?  You'll find that there people in Europe who haven't heard of Santa Claus!  We worked with Germans and Dutch whilst in Nepal who didn't know what we meant by Santa Claus, let alone Father Christmas.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
NO.

No, one only has to believe the possibility that God doesn't exist to pass the test, since the test - as you have worded it - is actually about a choice, not a final decision.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »

NO.

Stop talking a lot of repetitious twaddle.
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
NO.

No, one only has to believe the possibility that God doesn't exist to pass the test, since the test - as you have worded it - is actually about a choice, not a final decision.

No that is wrong.

I accept that God could exist. I cannot choose to believe it does as I do not have compelling evidence.
If beliefs are simply chosen and do not need evidence then you can simply choose to believe whatever you want.

When faced with this simple point theists wriggle and squirm. What you have to do to pass the test is to choose to believe God does not exist.
If you cannot do that, then you fail.

As an aside, could you choose to believe  you can fly and then jump from high building?

Beliefs cannot be chosen as BA and yourself ably demonstrate.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
NO.

No that is wrong.

I accept that God could exist. I cannot choose to believe it does as I do not have compelling evidence.
If beliefs are simply chosen and do not need evidence then you can simply choose to believe whatever you want.

When faced with this simple point theists wriggle and squirm. What you have to do to pass the test is to choose to believe God does not exist.
If you cannot do that, then you fail.

As an aside, could you choose to believe  you can fly and then jump from high building?

Beliefs cannot be chosen as BA and yourself ably demonstrate.

What on earth are you on about?
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
BA

You say you can choose your beliefs, but when challenged to actually do so, you ALWAYS fail.

This show that your claim is false and also a lie.

Can you believe God does not exist. If not you fail.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »
BA

You say you can choose your beliefs, but when challenged to actually do so, you ALWAYS fail.

Have you got some sort of weird idea that this is a court of law?  I am not on trial, for anything, least of all for your silly ideas.  Get back to your dvd's of Ironside, or something.
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
BA

Have you got some sort of weird idea that this is a court of law?  I am not on trial, for anything, least of all for your silly ideas.  Get back to your dvd's of Ironside, or something.

Do you accept then that you cannot nin fact choose what you believe?

It is obvious that this is the case, but can you admit it , or can I expect insult and evasion to this question?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #196 on: July 05, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
BA

It is obvious that this is the case, but can you admit it , or can I expect insult and evasion to this question?

Expect what you like, chum; it matters not a jot to me.  Our dog gives her bone up more easily than you give up your silly questions.    :)
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »
BA

Expect what you like, chum; it matters not a jot to me.  Our dog gives her bone up more easily than you give up your silly questions.    :)

You made a claim.

I called you on it and all you do now is evade and insult.

Retract the claim and there is no problem.

You are likely to repeat this false claim later unless you retract it now.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
BA

You made a claim.

You really are odd!  The only problem here is, what's wrong with you!  I am not answerable to you, so go and have a shower: and stop worrying about me.    :D

This has also been covered before.  I have made my position clear, Your Honour.  So if that does not satisfy the Court:  hard cheddar!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:58:25 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #199 on: July 05, 2015, 04:55:35 PM »
BA

You made a claim.

You really are odd!  The only problem here is, what's wrong with you!  I am not answerable to you, so go and have a shower: and stop worrying about me.    :D

More evasion.can you choose your beliefs as you stated you can.

If not accept that is was a mistake.

Otherwise I expect you will repeat this falsehood later.