Author Topic: Why only three days  (Read 43472 times)

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
Re: Why only three days
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »
That's a bit too vague to be helpful. Would you please be more specific. My question was a subtle way of pointing out the question of how the ascension is treated in Luke's gospel and (Luke's) Acts. Is that what you were referring to.

You claim the ascension happened 40 days after the resurrection.  Can you point to the place in each gospel and Acts where this is stated, please.
As you are well aware it does not say this "in each gospel and Acts". It says it in Act 1:3 though.

Your turn.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »
BA

You say you can choose your beliefs, but when challenged to actually do so, you ALWAYS fail.

This show that your claim is false and also a lie.

Can you believe God does not exist. If not you fail.
BR, anyone can choose to believe that God doesn't exist.  So what?  Does that mean that they have to retain that belief for ever, or can they choose to change their belief at a later stage?  After all, life is full of our changing our minds and understandings on a whole host of issues.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
That's a bit too vague to be helpful. Would you please be more specific. My question was a subtle way of pointing out the question of how the ascension is treated in Luke's gospel and (Luke's) Acts. Is that what you were referring to.

You claim the ascension happened 40 days after the resurrection.  Can you point to the place in each gospel and Acts where this is stated, please.
As you are well aware it does not say this "in each gospel and Acts". It says it in Act 1:3 though.

Your turn.

Trying to read the relevant passages without confirmation bias, answer the following:

Does Matthew even mention the Ascension?  What about John?

If you read Luke in isolation (i.e. without Acts) what impression do you get of how much time passed between the resurrection and the Ascension?  Be honest.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
BR, anyone can choose to believe that God doesn't exist.
Can they really and actually, as opposed to rhetorically?

Apparently you can't.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BeRational

« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »
BA

You say you can choose your beliefs, but when challenged to actually do so, you ALWAYS fail.

This show that your claim is false and also a lie.

Can you believe God does not exist. If not you fail.
BR, anyone can choose to believe that God doesn't exist.  So what?  Does that mean that they have to retain that belief for ever, or can they choose to change their belief at a later stage?  After all, life is full of our changing our minds and understandings on a whole host of issues.

Can you choose to believe that God does not exist?

Try it and lets see how you get on.

I predict you will fail
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »

Your turn.

Trying to read the relevant passages without confirmation bias, answer the following:

Does Matthew even mention the Ascension? 
No, he doesn't. He last speaks of Jesus in Galilee.
What about John?
Him neither, at least not in the last chapter, though he does say in 20:17 , "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'".

If you read Luke in isolation (i.e. without Acts) what impression do you get of how much time passed between the resurrection and the Ascension?  Be honest.
Yes, happy to be honest. Presumably you are happy to be honest too.

The end of Luke has a significant textual variant where the original reading of Sinaiticus does not have "and was taken up into heaven." Ehrman thinks this was added later by orthodox scribes as a means of arguing against Docetists. However, the N27 committee give that phrase a B for certainty, i.e. there is "some degree of doubt". Let's look at whether it is troublesome for the orthodox view whether it is original and whether it is not original.

If it is not part of the original text, that is handy, in one sense, as it then removes any claim about Luke saying Jesus ascended to heaven on the day of his resurrection and leaves the actual timing of it to Luke's second document, the Book of Acts. That would be very convenient.

If it is part of the original text, then it leaves us with the question of whether 24:50, 51 says that Jesus did ascend to heaven on the day of his resurrection. The Greek is not as clear about as, say, the NIV English text. The NIV says, "When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven." The Greek, literally, says, "He led them out as far as Bethany and having raised his hands, he blessed them and it happened in his blessing the he parted from them and was carried into heaven". There is a δε at the start of 24:50 which is sometimes translated "and", but it is often not even translated into English.

I am not saying that 24:50, 51 cannot be read as Jesus ascending to heaven that same day, but there is some doubt about whether it does refer to the ascension at all (as Ehrman would argue) and it is not compelling that it even refers to the same day even if it does refer to the ascension.

Thus the only clear description of the actual ascension is in Acts 1.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

cyberman

« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »
In what way is referring to evidence backtracking in regard to choosing to believe something?  If anyone is backtracking its those who seem to want evidence on which to base their choices, only then to denounce evidence as something that denies one freedom of choice.

A valid point. Do the atheists here hold that they base their beliefs upon evidence, or that they have no control whatsoever over what they believe?

I have no choice at all about my beliefs.

Does that mean that evidence is irrelevant?

On the contrary, it makes evidence of paramount importance.

My beliefs are emergent based on how I interpret the evidence.

And is your interpretation of the evidence something which you do, or something which happens to you?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
I accept that God could exist. I cannot choose to believe it does as I do not have compelling evidence.
If beliefs are simply chosen and do not need evidence then you can simply choose to believe whatever you want.
Precisely and since, following my studies/research, the evidence for God's existence outweighs that for his non-existence I choose to believe. 

When faced with this simple point theists wriggle and squirm. What you have to do to pass the test is to choose to believe God does not exist.
If you cannot do that, then you fail.
Simple?  As you admit yourself, it is hard to choose something that contradicts the evidence - but it is still a choice.  The reason we 'wriggle and squirm' as you put it, is that we are rational and logical people who don't throw over the very evidential principles you use to make your choices but which you want us to do away with.  To me, that smacks of false or corrupted argumentation.  I realise that that is a common method of creating philosophical disagreement where it doesn't really exist.

As an aside, could you choose to believe  you can fly and then jump from high building?
I understand that, over the years, a number of people have done just that.

Beliefs cannot be chosen as BA and yourself ably demonstrate.
Unfortunately, you have still to demonstrate in any logical or rational way that they can't.  Using irrational argumentation doesn't really fit the bill.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:34:43 PM by Hope »
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

BeRational

« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2015, 11:03:59 PM »
In what way is referring to evidence backtracking in regard to choosing to believe something?  If anyone is backtracking its those who seem to want evidence on which to base their choices, only then to denounce evidence as something that denies one freedom of choice.

A valid point. Do the atheists here hold that they base their beliefs upon evidence, or that they have no control whatsoever over what they believe?

I have no choice at all about my beliefs.

Does that mean that evidence is irrelevant?

On the contrary, it makes evidence of paramount importance.

My beliefs are emergent based on how I interpret the evidence.

And is your interpretation of the evidence something which you do, or something which happens to you?

I use my skills such as they are to try to the understand the facts I have.
My beliefs emerge as a result of this process and are not chosen.

So far everyone who says they can choose their beliefs fail the test, so they are not telling the truth.

BeRational

« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »
Hope

Precisely and since, following my studies/research, the evidence for God's existence outweighs that for his non-existence I choose to believe.

Are you being dim.

You just said that your studies confirm to you that the evidence in gods favour is convincing.
Therefore your belief emerges and is NOT chosen.

Try this and for goodness sake get it.

Choose to believe that God goes NOT exist. This means that you choose to believe something that goes AGAINST the evidence as you see it.

If you cannot choose to believe that God does not exist then you fail and your are not telling the truth about being able to choose your beliefs.

Over to you. I predict you will fail.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
You just said that your studies confirm to you that the evidence in gods favour is convincing.
Therefore your belief emerges and is NOT chosen.
You seem to start in the middle of the process, BR - not a very rational thing to do, surely  ;)  Let's imagine that I've been brought up a Hindu.  As I grow up I choose to question the precepts that I've been taught - that's good child development thinking.  I then choose to investigate one or more alternative belief-systems and study the evidence that there is for their validity.  From that study, I may decide that the evidence for my original belief system is either more or less valid than for one of the others.  You seem to arguing that all this is sub-conscious; I disagree and believe that it involves conscious processes - hence we have the opportunity to choose our belief-system.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
So far everyone who says they can choose their beliefs fail the test, so they are not telling the truth.
Not sure that anyone has actually tried the test, so not sure that anyone can be said to have failed.  It's rather like one of those questions that occur in exam papers occasionally; unattemptable and therefore unanswerable because of making no sense.

BeRational

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
Not sure that anyone has actually tried the test, so not sure that anyone can be said to have failed.  It's rather like one of those questions that occur in exam papers occasionally; unattemptable and therefore unanswerable because of making no sense.

You have failed the test and so has BA.

Do you believe in god?

If the answer is Yes, then you have failed.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »

Do you believe in god?

I haven't taken a test, so I cannot have failed  -  apart from that, you are talking total tripe!
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

BeRational

« Reply #214 on: July 08, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »

Do you believe in god?

I haven't taken a test, so I cannot have failed  -  apart from that, you are talking total tripe!

You fail again!

You cannot help yourself.

Accept that you cannot choose your beliefs and the problem goes away.

Or be a liar.

jjohnjil

« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

I think you're mixing  'believing something' and 'a Belief'. 

You obviously can't believe anything unless your mind is convinced of it, but you can choose a Belief by weighing one set of claims against another.

If someone cannot see any way that all the complexity we see around us could not have just happened, in their mind there is no other explanation than that a much higher entity caused it all - which is called God.  This is what they call believing in God. They can then choose which Faith is nearer to their ideas.

Of course, where they were brought up and by whom will have a very great influence on their ideas but I don't think they have to 'believe' in the sense you're using.

BeRational

« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

You obviously can't believe anything unless your mind is convinced of it, but you can choose a Belief by weighing one set of claims against another.

If someone cannot see any way that all the complexity we see around us could not have just happened, in their mind there is no other explanation than that a much higher entity caused it all - which is called God.  This is what they call believing in God. They can then choose which Faith is nearer to their ideas.

Of course, where they were brought up and by whom will have a very great influence on their ideas but I don't think they have to 'believe' in the sense you're using.

Exactly, you weigh up options, view the evidence, and form a conclusion.

No choice is ever involved.

Try this yourself. Believe something that is not where you see the prevailing evidence points.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

Try this yourself. Believe something that is not where you see the prevailing evidence points.

And if the evidence leaves you with more than one option, because it is not conclusive, then you choose which option seems to you to be the correct one.
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

And if the evidence leaves you with more than one option, because it is not conclusive, then you choose which option seems to you to be the correct one.

More than one option and you are not sure, and can choose to ACT in certain ways, perhaps to find out which is more likely to be correct but not believe something, as you ably demonstrate.

You like everyone cannot simply choose to believe something again the prevailing (as you see it) evidence.

jjohnjil

« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

More than one option and you are not sure, and can choose to ACT in certain ways, perhaps to find out which is more likely to be correct but not believe something, as you ably demonstrate.

You like everyone cannot simply choose to believe something again the prevailing (as you see it) evidence.

I rarely agree with Bashful, but he is right in that if there is no obvious answer, you choose which one to go along with.  It isn't the 'believe' in the sense you are using but we have evolved a need to 'believe' one thing against another in order to hunt and to avoid our predators,   

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2015, 11:01:26 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

I rarely agree with Bashful, but he is right in that if there is no obvious answer, you choose which one to go along with.  It isn't the 'believe' in the sense you are using but we have evolved a need to 'believe' one thing against another in order to hunt and to avoid our predators,   

Careful, jjohnjil, you will now be accused of failing the "test!" 
BA.

BeRational

« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2015, 11:13:33 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

If you are unsure you choose to act in one way or another. But you do not believe something until you have the evidence.

Try this for yourself.

Believe the Earth is flat.

You have ample evidence to the contrary, but if you could really choose your beliefs, you could believe the Earth was flat.

You cannot do it can you, and is the point I am making.

BA needs it to be true so he can blame people for not choosing to believe in a god. But as I point out beliefs are not chosen they derived.

jjohnjil

« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »

Do you believe in god?

BR

If you are unsure you choose to act in one way or another. But you do not believe something until you have the evidence.

Try this for yourself.

Believe the Earth is flat.

You have ample evidence to the contrary, but if you could really choose your beliefs, you could believe the Earth was flat.

You cannot do it can you, and is the point I am making.

BA needs it to be true so he can blame people for not choosing to believe in a god. But as I point out beliefs are not chosen they derived.

Oh, I agree that I can't believe in the earth being flat but I still think a Belief is different. 

If a bird thinks there may be a cat lurking in a bush stalking it, it needs to believe it and makes that choice of flying.  I think the religious are in a similar position, they think there may be the an all-powerful God who hates disbelievers and so chooses to 'believe' but not in the sense that you and I would believe anything - or the theists, in any other context.

BeRational

« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
Oh, I agree that I can't believe in the earth being flat but I still think a Belief is different. 

If a bird thinks there may be a cat lurking in a bush stalking it, it needs to believe it and makes that choice of flying.  I think the religious are in a similar position, they think there may be the an all-powerful God who hates disbelievers and so chooses to 'believe' but not in the sense that you and I would believe anything - or the theists, in any other context.

I think this is not a believe. This is uncertainty and choosing to act in a certain way to reduce danger.

As you say you cannot believe something unless you have evidence, but when faced with real life situations, you have to choose to act in some way, and you do you best with sometimes limited information.

I have done the same when lost, I did not choose to believe I was going in the correct direction, I knew I had to do something, and looked to evidence that I was right or wrong, and was prepared to change as soon as more reliable information was available.

Acting with limited information is different to believing.

jjohnjil

« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »

I think this is not a believe. This is uncertainty and choosing to act in a certain way to reduce danger.

As you say you cannot believe something unless you have evidence, but when faced with real life situations, you have to choose to act in some way, and you do you best with sometimes limited information.

I have done the same when lost, I did not choose to believe I was going in the correct direction, I knew I had to do something, and looked to evidence that I was right or wrong, and was prepared to change as soon as more reliable information was available.

Acting with limited information is different to believing.

It certainly is but I think that is what is meant by religious belief.  That is why I think Belief gets mixed up with Faith.  The two terms are indistinguishable in religious terms, but in logical terms they are quite different.