Author Topic: The sort of thing Archbishops of Canterbury should do?  (Read 9037 times)

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
The sort of thing Archbishops of Canterbury should do?
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:27 PM »
I was really encouraged to see this: bit.ly/1NNWuzQ. Any other Christians here equally encouraged?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: The sort of thing Archbishops of Canterbury should do?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:02 PM »
I read this with excitement.
While it's great to see the church commenting on the social ills of the day - and that's our job - it's really great to see Welby sharing just what the relationship He has with Christ means for him in a profoundly personal  way, but not couched in 'theology speak'.
Thanks for sharing this.
Any idea what the reaction to his words was?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:27 PM »
Gentlemen You are both seeing a false dawn,sorry to be negative.

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:03 PM »

~TW~

-
Hang on, TW;
If the Abp of C is in the business of sowing seed, isn't it God's business to raise the crop?
I haven't a clue what effect this speech had, or will have.
At least he made the effort.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:56 PM »
The archbishop is displaying the 'noon' symbol at the upper left of his website, he's gone up in my estimation by that alone :)

Then again, http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/articles.php/5566/archbishop-hosts-reception-for-grand-imam-of-al-azhar !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:14:07 PM by 2Corrie »
"It is finished."

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

~TW~

-
Hang on, TW;
If the Abp of C is in the business of sowing seed, isn't it God's business to raise the crop?
I haven't a clue what effect this speech had, or will have.
At least he made the effort.

Well is that not what he should be doing every day.Alien says The sort of thing Archbishops of Canterbury should do?,I say yes and about time,what took him so long.

~TW~
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:24:18 PM by ~TW~ »
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »
Probably because he's caught up in the admin of a fabric and finance structure, as well as trying to be a pontif - literally 'bridge builder' , TW.  As far as I understand it, that's the principle role of a bishop - being a presbyterian, I'm no expert on episcopy. Perhaps that's what God called him to be? I don't know; but He does call us to fill specific rolls in His church, as per Scripture.
The proof of the pudding will be the fruit which he bears.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Probably because he's caught up in the admin of a fabric and finance structure, as well as trying to be a pontif - literally 'bridge builder' , TW.  As far as I understand it, that's the principle role of a bishop - being a presbyterian, I'm no expert on episcopy. Perhaps that's what God called him to be? I don't know; but He does call us to fill specific rolls in His church, as per Scripture.
The proof of the pudding will be the fruit which he bears.

Well bruv very good to see you back,but as regards his nibs I am not getting to excited  :)

~TW~

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:21 PM »
Well is that not what he should be doing every day.Alien says The sort of thing Archbishops of Canterbury should do?,I say yes and about time,what took him so long.
He and his predecessors have been doing this kind of thing - and various others forms of evangelistic activity, including speaking to people who aren't already Christians - on a regular basis.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
He and his predecessors have been doing this kind of thing - and various others forms of evangelistic activity, including speaking to people who aren't already Christians - on a regular basis.

Could you detail the list of meetings as to the past and details of future meetings as it would be nice to attend one.

~TW~

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »
Er.....
Starting when?
Augustine?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
Could you detail the list of meetings as to the past and details of future meetings as it would be nice to attend one.
~TW~, I believe that you can find such details on the Archbishops' websites - http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org  and  http://www.archbishopofyork.org/
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
~TW~, I believe that you can find such details on the Archbishops' websites - http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org  and  http://www.archbishopofyork.org/

Thanks I did look he seems to have a boot in all camps very ecumenical.I think someone should tell him Christ claimed exclusivity no room for other faiths,did he not say no one comes to the Father except through me,and I am the way the truth and the life.

~TW~

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
There's nothing wrong with Christian ecumenism - Didn't Jesus pray for His disciples in Gethsemene "That they may be one"?
As long as one doesn't compromise the Gospel message, ecumenism is fine.
Same thing when entering discussions with non-Christians, or those of other religions. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? Be light in a world of darkness, salt in a world which has lost its' flavour?
We can remain absolutely 100% rooted in Christ while respecting - if completely disagreeing - with those of other faiths.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
Thanks I did look he seems to have a boot in all camps very ecumenical.I think someone should tell him Christ claimed exclusivity no room for other faiths,did he not say no one comes to the Father except through me,and I am the way the truth and the life.
Ecumenical in which sense, TW?  Having discussions with leaders of other Christian denominations, or with leaders of other world faiths?  In a multicultural society as we have in the UK, having inter-faith meetings is important in helping those faiths who have extremists to challenge that extremism.  Meetings with other denominational leaders -  which is what ecumenism is really about - is important in working towards providing a Christian response to various events and situations that society faces.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Ecumenical in which sense, TW?  Having discussions with leaders of other Christian denominations, or with leaders of other world faiths?  In a multicultural society as we have in the UK, having inter-faith meetings is important in helping those faiths who have extremists to challenge that extremism.  Meetings with other denominational leaders -  which is what ecumenism is really about - is important in working towards providing a Christian response to various events and situations that society faces.

All very nice Hope but a little to late long,long before the problem of these madmen entered these shores the church should have been going forward with the gospel to these people.

Cof E /Anglican what ever you want to call them they are simply hopeless.

What we have now is gods judgement n this country now it wont get better.

~TW~

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 11:32:24 PM »
All very nice Hope but a little to late long,long before the problem of these madmen entered these shores the church should have been going forward with the gospel to these people.
Don't worry, TW, missionaries have been travelling from Britain to other parts of the world for centuries - ie long before these 'madmen' as you call then entered these shores (whatever that means  ;))

Is that why several Anglican churches in England and Wales - not sure about the figures in Scotland - are actually growing?  I think you'll find that it doesn't matter which denomination one refers to; rather it depends on whether or not a congregation are in tune with God's purposes for that place/situation.

That's a claim that is extremely hard to provide any evidence for, TW.  Could it be that God is actually trimming out all the nominal 'believers' so as to give a stronger core from which to regrow?  After all, Jesus does talk about this kind of action in John's Gospel and the section about the vine (John 15)

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »
  - ie long before these 'madmen' as you call then entered these shores (whatever that means  ;))

Is that why several Anglican churches in England and Wales - not sure about the figures in Scotland - are actually growing?  I think you'll find that it doesn't matter which denomination one refers to; rather it depends on whether or not a congregation are in tune with God's purposes for that place/situation.

That's a claim that is extremely hard to provide any evidence for, TW.  Could it be that God is actually trimming out all the nominal 'believers' so as to give a stronger core from which to regrow?  After all, Jesus does talk about this kind of action in John's Gospel and the section about the vine (John 15)

Hope just taking one point you make  { Don't worry, TW, missionaries have been travelling from Britain to other parts of the world for centuries } going into all the world means my front door so far never seen one. Until  then I have to dismiss your comments as not applicable.

~TW~

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Hope just taking one point you make  { Don't worry, TW, missionaries have been travelling from Britain to other parts of the world for centuries } going into all the world means my front door so far never seen one. Until  then I have to dismiss your comments as not applicable.
But going to front doors is only one, rather overhyped method.  Stats suggest that more people come to a belief in Christ through what is called 'friendship' evangelism, than any other method.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
But going to front doors is only one, rather overhyped method.  Stats suggest that more people come to a belief in Christ through what is called 'friendship' evangelism, than any other method.

Not the point and friendship evangelism is not biblical,give me one example from scripture.

And I will say to my soul, Soul,thou hast many goods laid up for many years,take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry .But
God said unto him, thou fool, this night thou soul shall be required
of thee: then who shall those things be, which thou has
provided? Luke 12; 19-20
Dear friends looking at our text we see a man,a love able man rather like our
Bob the builder,successful, confident,may very well be a good husband and father
.Could it be someone to be envied?.And yet the God of heaven looks down
and says” Thou fool”.I am sure the Lord is not being harsh but, sees this man
as a silly,boy that has lost so much .This man knows nothing of Psalm 8 O
Lord our Lord,how excellent is thy name in all the earth,and so he moves on
into eternity,with the sound of I did it my way .He cannot sing Rock of
Ages cleft for me let me hide myself in thee,for alas he has no saviour,he
has no shepherd ,the day of salvation has passed for him .How does Bob
the builder fare today, does the message of salvation go out with a strong
voice ? So Bob decides to build his barns tomorrow Luke 12: 18 but for Bob
alas he has no tomorrow. Like, wise those who attempt friendship evangelism
which is new for friendship evangelism is alien to scripture,one cannot find the
Lords people at work with friendship evangelism, do you have time, how long
does it take before you can tell that lost soul the gospel have you forgotten that
Christ came into the world to save sinners 1 Timothy 1 :15 ,what if you miss the
chance today and your friend leaves this world tomorrow. Does not your friend
deserve to be told immediately,yesterday has gone tomorrow is yet to come,so it
only leaves today. The great commission is to go into all the world Hebrews 3:7
Wherefore as the Holy ghost saith,today if you here his voice. So dear friends do
not spend months,weeks waiting to tell Bob the builder do it today as James
says that friendship with the world is enmity with God.Speak to your friend
today before the Lord says to your friend “ thou fool,this night thy soul will be
required of thee.
  ~TW~

~TW~

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:34 AM »
Not the point and friendship evangelism is not biblical,give me one example from scripture.
How long do you have to read such a list?  Let's start with Simon Peter: how did he get introduced to Jesus?

Incidentally, if your worried anything being unbiblical, where is the biblical evidence for door-to-door?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:05:12 AM by Hope »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »
Not sure about 'un-Biblical", TW.
Surely God can challenge us to use whatever gifts we have in His cause? The list in 1 Corinthians was not meant to be exhaustive.
If you think about it, Christian books, the internet, etc, were not envisaged in 1st century Palestine, but God has used them - and other methods equally foriegn to the minds of those first apostles - to bring folk to Himself.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
How long do you have to read such a list?  Let's start with Simon Peter: how did he get introduced to Jesus?

Incidentally, if your worried anything being unbiblical, where is the biblical evidence for door-to-door?

where is the biblical evidence for door-to-door?-------------------Scripture gives it a mention.

~TW~

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
Not sure about 'un-Biblical", TW.
Surely God can challenge us to use whatever gifts we have in His cause? The list in 1 Corinthians was not meant to be exhaustive.
If you think about it, Christian books, the internet, etc, were not envisaged in 1st century Palestine, but God has used them - and other methods equally foriegn to the minds of those first apostles - to bring folk to Himself.

Tomorrow does not belong to any of us. Knew a chap once was interested in spiritual matters,studied with a JW each week,his next door neighbour a baptist of many years was aware of this and never not once did he approach his neighbour and say anyting relating to Christ and his kingdom,a shameful example of a typical small c christian today.

every home of our village is visited regular.

~TW~

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
"Every home in our village is visited regular".
I admire your ministry, but the problem WE have is that every home in the town is visited on a regular basis from local devotees of the Kingdom Hall, and the local independent evangelical Christian Fellowship, while firmly rooted inthe Gospel, take the same approach - and are, unfortunatelly, tarred with the same brush by the vast majority of residents.
In this instance, door-to-door work is actually antithetical to the Gospel message.