Author Topic: BBC Charter Review  (Read 6229 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: BBC Charter Review
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »
I heard a radio interview recently, in the run up to this, in which a chap was bemoaning that the BBC web-site was 'too good' and was without adverts, and that this was 'unfair'

Well obviously.  The right of the newspaper publisher that he is almost certainly linked with to make money off us trumps our right to have accurate and unbiased news.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
It is hosting a debate about it - today's Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show for instance.  It couldn't stop any debte on any other form of social media.

In this day and age with the web etc I really can't regard a Jeremy Vines phone in as a "debate"... or even the phone in programmes on Radio 5.

But in comparison with Twitter...
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »
It is in the nature of British politicians to meddle with satisfactorily operating organisations in order to show that they are in control. You have only to look at the number of reorganisations and "initiatives" taken in the NHS. Some, after a change in governing party, before any opportunity for the previous changes to show any effect.

It happens with education, too. We now have a Secretary of State who is so mathematically illiterate that she considers it possible for all schools to be "above average".

The BBC is equally vulnerable. Changes to the BBC may well be the result of politicians taking part in a hairy chest competition.

I would not suggest that the BBC should not subject to critical examination, but there is something which the meddling politicians ought to consider. The BBC is probably the only British brand which isn't just world class - but top world class. Any reduction in the world's perception of the BBC will directly affect the perception of Britain itself.

We have a government system that believes that the highest artistic, cultural and intellectual achievement of human kind has been the invention of cost accounting. And we have a prime minister who barely adequate to the task of governing, who is more concerned with the state of his party than of the nation. He is constantly looking over his shoulder - in fear of the paeliolithic throwbacks his party always attracts.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »
We have a government system that believes that the highest artistic, cultural and intellectual achievement of human kind has been the invention of cost accounting.
I thought it thought that the 'highest artistic, cultural and intellectual achievement of human kind has been the invention of' creative accounting   ;)

And we have a prime minister who barely adequate to the task of governing, who is more concerned with the state of his party than of the nation. He is constantly looking over his shoulder - in fear of the paeliolithic throwbacks his party always attracts.
So, no different to any of the Prime Ministers who have held the post since Harold Wilson!!
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »
There is still plenty of non-news that needs public support: Art, culture, science, education, history, children's programs, documentaries, comedy ... many areas where commercial services don't or couldn't do a good job.

It could still make ... Eastenders, Strictly, Master chef etc and sell for broadcast on commercial channels (as it already does with many repeat programs) and/or allow download/streaming on an ad-free subscription basis.

This just feels like subsidising your taste.

We should subsidise stuff that needs subsidising, not what is already commercially viable.  The BBC was originally set up to fund the creation of the broadcasting infrastructure that otherwise would not have been viable at the time. Later there was the BBC micro, digital, BSkyB, etc
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 10:23:29 AM »
The BBC should resurrect its message board capability and allow discussion of programmes, politics etc ("Sustaining citizenship and civil society") and engage with the public - eg by using volunteer/elected moderators rather than try to control everything itself.
IIRC, they cut these facilities because of reduced funding as a result of the last charter review.

Maybe, but imo it was a retreat backwards to their comfort zone.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
It is hosting a debate about it - today's Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show for instance.  It couldn't stop any debte on any other form of social media.

In this day and age with the web etc I really can't regard a Jeremy Vines phone in as a "debate"... or even the phone in programmes on Radio 5.

But in comparison with Twitter...

Well it's Rona Fairhead herself (BBC Trust Chairman) that has suggested the BBC should host a "proper public debate" on twitter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/online/bbc-should-host-twitter-debate-about-its-new-charter-10021614.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:31:30 AM by Udayana »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
They have launched a survey for input to the charter review:

https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/tomorrows-bbc

Gonnagle

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
Dear Harrowby,

Post 27, excellent post, there is another poster on here ( forgot his name, seems like an intelligent sort ) who is repeatedly telling anyone who will listen that the Tory party are anti British.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
Just caught the end of the National Lottery Show.  2 questions, at least.  Does this need to be on the BBC?  Who pays for the prizes - the British public through the licence fee or Camaelot?  On a wider note, who pays for the prize money for other quiz programmes?  Again is the licence fee payers, or is something like Pointless self-funding through sales of the programme and/or concept to other broadcasters?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools