Author Topic: Worth reading  (Read 7507 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: Worth reading
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/nhs-patients-religious-services-should-not-be-paid-for-by-taxpayer-say-critics-10366214.html

ippy

What a prejudiced little man you are!   Your vicious anti-religion stance even extends to objecting to the ill and dying receiving some solace..  The amount of money involved is nothing in terms of the NHS total budget, and they undoubtedly waste millions and millions in all manner of other ways, which you choose not to highlight.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:50:52 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

floo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
I had no idea the NHS paid for people's religious needs, and believe that is wrong. It should be funded by the religious organisations. The NHS is strapped for cash as it is, it was formed to tend to the medical needs of the nation.

trippymonkey

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
What actual rights do people feel they're entitled to, regardless ???

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
The right of being comforted at the point of death?
(funded by the religious body of their choice)
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
I had no idea the NHS paid for people's religious needs, and believe that is wrong. It should be funded by the religious organisations. The NHS is strapped for cash as it is, it was formed to tend to the medical needs of the nation.

Dying is a sort of medical condition!!!
BA.

john

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5123378/Chaplains-costing-NHS-32-million-a-year.html

Lets put this in perspective...

Chaplaincy costs the NHS 」32 million pounds a year........

If people choose to have a fantastic belief it is totally out of order to expect the general public to pay to sustain that view. All the major religions are charities and therefore tax exempt, with a vested interest in looking after "their people". Why should we all pay to pander to their non medical needs.

How many nurses do you get for thirty two million quid, I for one don't mind paying for that because we all benefit not just the handful of deluded folk who can't cope without delusions of sky fairies and magic.
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5123378/Chaplains-costing-NHS-32-million-a-year.html

If people choose to have a fantastic belief it is totally out of order to expect the general public to pay to sustain that view. All the major religions are charities and therefore tax exempt, with a vested interest in looking after "their people". Why should we all pay to pander to their non medical needs.

How many nurses do you get for thirty two million quid, I for one don't mind paying for that because we all benefit not just the handful of deluded folk who can't cope without delusions of .

Anybody who can only debate using the "sky fairies and magic" clap-trap isn't worth listening to. 
BA.

floo

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »

How many nurses do you get for thirty two million quid, I for one don't mind paying for that because we all benefit not just the handful of deluded folk who can't cope without delusions of sky fairies and magic.

」32 million should be spent on attending to the body not the so called 'soul'. If people want a religious input it should be available freely from the religion to which they belong.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:42:12 PM by Floo »

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »

」32 million should be spent on attending to the body not the so called 'soul'. If people want a religious input it should be available freely from the religion to which they belong.

The NHS  is there to care for the whole person, and the mental state of any individual is as important as the physical one: not that a curmudgeonly, biased and heartless person such as you would appreciate that.
BA.

ippy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
The right of being comforted at the point of death?
(funded by the religious body of their choice)

I've not got the slightest problem with that Anch.

ippy

john

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
Sky fairies and magic ...... religious belief

What's the difference?

Do you have the slightest shred of evidence to help us differentiate?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Sky fairies and magic ...... religious belief

What's the difference?

Do you have the slightest shred of evidence to help us differentiate?

I have the testimony of the New Testament, a book you have little knowledge of.  But whatever you may or may not believe, there is nothing wrong with showing a little respect for the beliefs of billions, by refraining from such immature language.
BA.

john

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »
In between watching the cricket and eating lunch been doing some research. It appears the 」32 million figure only relates to the money actually paid out in wages to chaplains and does not cover ancillaries, like;

I have been volunteering at my local super massive hospital since I retired, pushing wheelchairs about, fetching newspapers, making tea, stuff like that.

The hospital has a "large multi faith chapel" and 3 permanent offices attached for the use of chaplains plus a "peace garden" which takes up an enclosed courtyard. I can only assume that the cost of these spaces is not covered by the 」32 million figure. Lots of other hospitals have similar spaces I believe. Yet my hospital is crying out for space for clinical use. I only work 2 mornings a week but only very rarely see anyone except cleaners and gardeners in these spaces. 

If believers (of whatever hue) have a need for such spaces and services they should pay for them themselves.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »
In between watching the cricket and eating lunch been doing some research. It appears the 」32 million figure only relates to the money actually paid out in wages to chaplains and does not cover ancillaries, like;

I have been volunteering at my local super massive hospital since I retired, pushing wheelchairs about, fetching newspapers, making tea, stuff like that.

The hospital has a "large multi faith chapel" and 3 permanent offices attached for the use of chaplains plus a "peace garden" which takes up an enclosed courtyard. I can only assume that the cost of these spaces is not covered by the 」32 million figure. Lots of other hospitals have similar spaces I believe. Yet my hospital is crying out for space for clinical use. I only work 2 mornings a week but only very rarely see anyone except cleaners and gardeners in these spaces. 

If believers (of whatever hue) have a need for such spaces and services they should pay for them themselves.

The NHS doesn't seem to think so, though they do have plenty to say about the obese, and smokers, and drinkers, who actually use up huge amounts of resources by their actions.  Maybe it's a question of priorities.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:47:01 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »
We even have chaplains at our airports. Having chaplains in hospitals and paying them(they are working after all), hurts nobody but the warped minds of the intolerant secular fundamentalists.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »
Actually, I agree - a wee bit - with Ippy here, JC.
It's up to faith groups to both provide and fund chaplains, for the most part.
Would you be happy if the hospital chaplain who turned up to see you was a Hindu*, paid and funded by your taxes.insurance?

* - nothing against Hindus - just using the description as an example.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Actually, I agree - a wee bit - with Ippy here, JC.
It's up to faith groups to both provide and fund chaplains, for the most part.
Would you be happy if the hospital chaplain who turned up to see you was a Hindu*, paid and funded by your taxes.insurance?

* - nothing against Hindus - just using the description as an example.

One would hope that any sympathetic counsel would be acceptable to any in a serious condition.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:59:50 AM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

floo

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
As all religions are on an equal footing as there is no evidence to substantiate any of them, it would be only fair that all were represented in hospitals, not just those of the Christian religion.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 03:49:37 PM »
As all religions are on an equal footing as there is no evidence to substantiate any of them, it would be only fair that all were represented in hospitals, not just those of the Christian religion.

Further, just looked this up quickly:

"Faith and Chaplaincy.

The chaplaincy provides religious, spiritual and pastoral care to patients, visitors and staff of all faiths or no faith.

Each hospital has its own team of chaplains and volunteer pastoral visitors.  The chaplains are from the Hindu, Muslim and Sikh faiths and various Christian denominations.  The wider team of volunteers also includes Baha'i, Buddhist, Jewish and non-religious / Humanist representatives."

Try researching now and again, Floo, before jumping in with your views.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:53:52 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »

-
Who's arguing?
Nut I contend that it should be up to each faith group to provide - and fund - candidates, who would then go through the usual PNC checks before being acredited as chaplains.

floo

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »

-
Who's arguing?
Nut I contend that it should be up to each faith group to provide - and fund - candidates, who would then go through the usual PNC checks before being acredited as chaplains.

Some think the NHS should fund the faith groups!

ippy

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
Isn't it all about where the funding comes from?

I can't think of any reason why it would bother me if say, I was in hospital and the patient in the bed next to me held a full religious service or was just talking to a chaplain.   

ippy

cyberman

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »

What is a sky fairy?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
What is a sky fairy?
Its someone who comes and installs Sky TV for you, free of charge, cyber.  There are clearly some amongst our number, like john, who believe such creatures exist.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools