Author Topic: Royals' Nazi salute  (Read 13259 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Royals' Nazi salute
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Today's Sun has a picture of a 7-year-old giving a Nazi salute in family film footage dating from 1933.

http://tinyurl.com/ozxbmk2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33578174

In view of the fact that the future Edward VIII's interest in and even support of the Nazis has long been widely known, is this footage of - to quote the Sun's managing editor on this morning's BBC Breakfast  - 'historical social importance'.

This next question primarily to those avowed republicans here - does this damage the Queen's reputation in any way?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Royals' Nazi salute
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
Today's Sun has a picture of a 7-year-old giving a Nazi salute in family film footage dating from 1933.

In view of the fact that the future Edward VIII's interest in and even support of the Nazis has long been widely known, is this footage of - to quote the Sun's managing editor on this morning's BBC Breakfast  - 'historical social importance'.

This next question primarily to those avowed republicans here - does this damage the Queen's reputation in any way?
The Sun is owned by an Australian republican.
The Queen is a former wartime serviceperson who had her house bombed presumably while she was still in it.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
I'd imagine most, and even republicans like me, will treat this story from 80+ years ago as being the trivia that it surely is.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
I'd imagine most, and even republicans like me, will treat this story from 80+ years ago as being the trivia that it surely is.
So now we have the press trying to dismantle two pillars of British identity, The BBC and The monarchy.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »

-
Is the footage historically important?
In a minor way, yes.
It confirms what we already knew - the heir to the British throne, Edward, was ananashamed supporter of fascism before the war.
It also bolsters the long-held view that the Duchess of York had similar sympathies, as had much of the British aristocracy.

As to the second?
I hardly think a six and a half year old girl's gesture has any relevence to the person she would become.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
To this avowed republican the Queen's reputation is irremediably damaged simply because she's the Queen. Does this damage it more? Not in my eyes; that half the royal family and a major chunk of the aristocracy in the 1930s had at the very least fascist and at the very worst explicitly Nazi sympathies isn't news to anyone, I would have thought. I'm quite capable of having contempt for that sort of thing and those sort of people without a fairly innocuous photograph of a notoriously weak, spineless and vacillating man manipulating small children into giving a salute of whose origin and intent they had absolutely no idea.

It is, as Gordon said, a trivial non-story. There's a proper debate to be had about whether we really want our head of state to occupy that position on the ridiculous basis of the hereditary principle (to say nothing of being the head of a small army of emotionally crippled dysfunctional leeches on the nation's purse), but stories such as this don't advance it much. On the other hands, if it brings The Firm into even greater disrepute, great.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:30:12 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
The Queen was a young kid copying her mother, so is not to blame at all for that gesture. What possessed her mother to give the Nazi salute goodness only knows. :o But apparently she was not the sweet, little old lady, which was her public persona!

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »

-
In a minor way, yes.
It confirms what we already knew - the heir to the British throne, Edward, was ananashamed supporter of fascism before the war.
It also bolsters the long-held view that the Duchess of York had similar sympathies, as had much of the British aristocracy.

As to the second?
I hardly think a six and a half year old girl's gesture has any relevence to the person she would become.

Karma applaud - and Shaker too.

The only comment I'd make (and it's of no real importance, really) is that his name was David not Edward.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
The Queen was a young kid copying her mother, so is not to blame at all for that gesture. What possessed her mother to give the Nazi salute goodness only knows. :o But apparently she was not the sweet, little old lady, which was her public persona!

-
Oh, no!
Lizzie Bowes Lyon was far from being sweet, floo!
Chair of MenCap - who never once visited two of her close family who were dumped in institutions, she came from a family of Anglo-Scots who had notorious right-wing sympathies, supporting Hitler and Mussolini.
Sge was on record cheering when Mussolini invaded the then Abysinnia.
Like much of the British aristocracy, she was mildly antisemitic and sympathetic to nazi ideologies.
That seemed to change round about 1937 when a guy with robes plonked a bit of bling on her bonce.   
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 09:53:57 AM »

Hold a person accountable for the actions they performed when they were 7 ?
"It is finished."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »
Stig Abell, Editor of the Sun, contributer to the Spectator, The Telegraph, co presenter on LBC with Kay Burley........what's his angle?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

-
In a minor way, yes.

As to the second?

Karma applaud - and Shaker too.

There are no Karma applauds.......there were in the grand old days when they were great for sticking one on the theists but then it all started going wrong for Bluehillside and they disappeared shortly after........get over it.....send Shaker flowers or something.

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
Oooh nice, I like flowers :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
So do I.
Does being a 'theist' disqualify me?

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 01:54:18 PM »
I think that the important point is that photo was taken before it became apparent just how bad the Nazis were. An awful lot of people in this country had some sympathy for the German people at that time and many were overtly pro-Nazi - so a seven year old child can hardly be blamed for that salute - 82 years later.

The editor of the Sun should be ashamed of himself.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
Non story, it was a mock salute and many kids have done the same. In fact I use to use it on my best friend in jr high school when he would get too bossy. He of course is German. I would give him the Nazi salute and shout, Ya vol herr Engelfart. And then he would chase me down and give me a punch or whack. Great fun.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »
Don't misunderstand me, JC.
Wheras the footage can't be used to condemn the actions of a six year old girl, it DOES confirm that the very closest members of her aristocrsatic family sympsathised with the Nazi ideology., at least befiore they were forced to change their mind when war broke out (or, at the least, conceal their views).

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
It was a mock salute and the only one in that picture that was pro Nazi was Eddy. Yes, the Queen mum was so pro Nazi, Hitler called her the most dangerous woman in Europe. (smilies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEZPwLOzTo

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »
Wheras the footage can't be used to condemn the actions of a six year old girl, it DOES confirm that the very closest members of her aristocrsatic family sympsathised with the Nazi ideology., at least befiore they were forced to change their mind when war broke out (or, at the least, conceal their views).
I thought everybody already knew that Edward VIII was a Nazi sympathiser.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
I think that the important point is that photo was taken before it became apparent just how bad the Nazis were. An awful lot of people in this country had some sympathy for the German people at that time and many were overtly pro-Nazi - so a seven year old child can hardly be blamed for that salute - 82 years later.

The editor of the Sun should be ashamed of himself.

Whilst I agree with your point, I don't think the passage of time is pertinent if it is a question of Nazi sympathising - we have seen only this last week an ex-SS member sentenced for his activities at Auschwitz, some 70 plus years ago  -   and with the Queen Mother that is a moot point indeed.  One wonders what influence, if any, she had on the young princess?
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »

=-
Most of us did, Jeremy.
This footage is just another piece of confirmatory evidence.
It also shows the bias in favour of nazi ideology which permiated the upper classes before the outbreak of war.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »

=-
Most of us did, Jeremy.
This footage is just another piece of confirmatory evidence.
It also shows the bias in favour of nazi ideology which permiated the upper classes before the outbreak of war.

So what?  It was a different time then. Hitler had just rescued Germany from economic ruin. It's not surprising he had some admirers.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
Time magazine named Hitler, Man Of The Year 1938. The USA continued to do business with Hitler when we were at war. The Palestinian leadership, during those years, was very, very, very, pro Hitler,pro Nazi. They actively supported the Nazis. And so on and so forth. YAWN

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »

-
Oh, no!
Lizzie Bowes Lyon was far from being sweet, floo!
Chair of MenCap - who never once visited two of her close family who were dumped in institutions, she came from a family of Anglo-Scots who had notorious right-wing sympathies, supporting Hitler and Mussolini.
Sge was on record cheering when Mussolini invaded the then Abysinnia.
Like much of the British aristocracy, she was mildly antisemitic and sympathetic to nazi ideologies.
That seemed to change round about 1937 when a guy with robes plonked a bit of bling on her bonce.
And in 1940 when the Luftwaffe plonked a bit of a bomb on her house. (5 actually).

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
Of course Anchorman is going to provide us with the evidence for all his assertions.

The Queen Mum was so taken by Hitler and the Nazis that after reading Mein Kampf, which she called soap box but interesting, she warned Lord Halifax not to read it all because it may make him go mad. The Palestinians were active supporters of the Nazis. Yes, active supporters.

"The two people who have caused me the most trouble in my life are Wallis Simpson and Hitler"   QE(Queen Mum)