Author Topic: Have you tried reading the NT in the correct order?  (Read 185401 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Have you tried reading the NT in the correct order?
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
In other words, 'Blessed be the gullible'! ::)
So, you are clearly gullible in that you believe ( I assume) that there were atrocities committed by the British during the Boer War, even though you weren't there and you rely on eye-witness accounts and third-party reports.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Outrider

« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2015, 09:41:57 AM »
Spud, I think that NS and several others here are being ingenuous, because although they are happy to accept the eye-witness accounts of people living today, they refuse to accept the eye-witness accounts of people from certain parts of history when those eye-witness accounts witness to events that don't fit their understanding of the universe ;)

I'm not sure that's the case. Whilst we accept that people believe their own eye-witness accounts these days, that doesn't mean we accept them as true: that's what people believe they saw, but people are fallible.

As to the ancient accounts, part of the scepticism is whether the people making the accounts actually were eye-witnesses, or whether these are second-, third- or fourth-hand accounts. When you add in the selective editing that the works have undergone since, that makes the accounts credibility undermined still further.

Eye-witness accounts are lent credibility by corroboration, also, and there's very little of that available for accounts from these works, even by comparison to some other documents of the same age.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by science, NS.  Is it the narrow discipline that is so prevalent today -
The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
or the archaic and broader
Knowledge of any kind
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/science

Science is methodological naturalism. You have phenomena, you hypthesise about the causitive factors of those phenomena, devise a methodology to test the hypothesis and formulate provisional explanations based upon the best validated hypotheses. That's a methodology - what you start with, how you build confidence in your understanding and why you accept some answers and not others.

What's the supernatural equivalent?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
I'm quite surprised; NS seems to be saying that the evidence given the disciples- ie to have witnessed Jesus' death, burial and resurrection- is insufficient as a methodology, even for them. Or maybe he's saying it's insufficient when it comes to you or I believing on the basis of their testimony. That I can agree with, except that it is sufficient evidence for someone who is already open to the possibility.

On that issue, Jesus says, "Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe".
Spud, I think that NS and several others here are being ingenuous, because although they are happy to accept the eye-witness accounts of people living today, they refuse to accept the eye-witness accounts of people from certain parts of history when those eye-witness accounts witness to events that don't fit their understanding of the universe ;)

Evidence is not a methodology, science is. It is your methodology that determines what is acceptable evidence. Science only works naturalistically. In order to evaluate a supernatural claim, I would need a methodology that allows me to determine what is evidence for that. Do you have one?
I suppose it depends on what you mean by science, NS.  Is it the narrow discipline that is so prevalent today -
The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
or the archaic and broader
Knowledge of any kind
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/science

Why would I be using an archaic definition? And by the way I'm in no way being disngenuous here, I am prepared to accept eye witness testimony if it can be investigated. I need a methodology to do that in addition to scince, vboth history as a study and law as a practice are naturalistic.

Any chance of you actually providing the methodology you think exists for supernatural claims rather than continuing to be evasive?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
So, you are clearly gullible in that you believe ( I assume) that there were atrocities committed by the British during the Boer War, even though you weren't there and you rely on eye-witness accounts and third-party reports.

This is another of your odd descents into tu quoque like arguments: you seem to be suggesting here that by doubting/rejecting one set of alleged eye-witness accounts (the resurrection of Jesus claim) requires that one must necessarily do the same for all eye-witness accounts of anything (such as conduct during the Boer War) - this is a daft notion.

As far as I'm aware nobody is trying to use any Boer War accounts of alleged atrocities to demonstrate supernatural intervention, as is the case in the accounts of the alleged resurrection of Jesus; this seems like an important difference in terms of going about verifying the accounts of these two separate situations, where the supernatural element of the latter would surely need a method that was specific to that aspect of the claim.

Accounts alone would be insufficient unless your argument here extends to saying that all eye-witness accounts that claim supernatural intervention are sufficient evidence of the supernatural - if not, then you are indulging in special pleading for Jesus.

Andy

« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
So, if you are going to claim that Jesus was dead, and then wasn't etc, then a method based on naturalism doesn't help so you would need to define what non-naturalistic phenomena 'is' in the first place, and also a methodology that can be used to identify and describe 'it'. That you think the anecdotal claims in the NT 'is sufficient evidence for someone who is already open to the possibility.' does raise other problems, confirmation bias being just one, and what constitutes 'evidence' being another.

I really disagree here. If it's posited that Jesus was dead and then wasn't within the natural world, then by definition it is a naturalistic phenomena. Therefore, potentially, the scientific method can investigate such a phenomena if it occurs, and it's only when god is added into the equation as the cause of that natural phenomena that it becomes impervious to science.

I'm starting to find here that a clear distinction needs to be made between a resurrection and a resurrection by god, as it's tripping a lot of people up.

Andy

« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »

If you think that we place eye-witness accounts in a vacuum and only evaluate them independently without any other background information, then you're a fool, but I suspect you're leaning more towards being disingenuous.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
As to the ancient accounts, part of the scepticism is whether the people making the accounts actually were eye-witnesses, or whether these are second-, third- or fourth-hand accounts. When you add in the selective editing that the works have undergone since, that makes the accounts credibility undermined still further.
Do you actually have any evidence that negative 'selective editing' ever occurred?  Remember that modern-day police have to select evidence that corroborates other evidence in building a case against criminals, etc. so this 'selective editing' seems to be quite acceptable to modern society.

Eye-witness accounts are lent credibility by corroboration, also, and there's very little of that available for accounts from these works, even by comparison to some other documents of the same age.
I think that, on other threads, we have come to an agreement that Paul's early work as an apostle took place very much in isolation from the original disciples.  Furthermore, there are forms of Christianity that developed in complete isolation from that which developed in the Middle East - for instance, the Mar-Thoma Church in India.

Science is methodological naturalism. You have phenomena, you hypthesise about the causitive factors of those phenomena, devise a methodology to test the hypothesis and formulate provisional explanations based upon the best validated hypotheses. That's a methodology - what you start with, how you build confidence in your understanding and why you accept some answers and not others.

What's the supernatural equivalent?

O.
OK, let's take the resurraction story as an example (something that has been done very recently, as you will be aware).  There are a number of possible explanations, all of which have to be assessed. 

Option 1: He didn't actually die on the cross
Option 2: He died on the cross and the disciples stole the body from the grave
Option 3: He died on the cross and the Jewish authorities decided to hide the body in order to reduce the chance of a sect being established
Option 4: He rose from death and was seen by far more people than his small band of followers

OK, I'm sure that there are other subtly different forms of these 4 options, as well as additional ones, but this is just an example.

Option 1: the report of 'blood and water' is, even today, recognised as an indicator of death.  The Roman soldiers who would have taken part in the act of crucifixion would have been experienced in knowing the signs.  Therefore, in disussion with medics and others in this field of science I am happy to discount this as viable option. 

Option 3: the suggestion that the Jewish authorities hid the body could easily have been proved to be true by the simple production of the body by the authorities.  In view of the developments that took place very quickly after the events of crucufixion and burial, the boidy would not have beome unrecognisably decayed.  Therefore, I am quite happy to discount this as a viable option.

Option 2: The disciples stole the body.  In view of the other messianic claims that had been doing the rounds over the period of 50-100 years, no other disciple-group had tried this.  When one remembers the politico-militaristic nature of many of these messianic claims compared to the peaceful nature of Jeis's messianic claims, one has to ask oneself which disciples would have been more likely to try this kind of action.  When all is taken into account, I find this option as viable as options 1 & 3.

Option 4: Whilst my rational, 20th/21st century scientific mind says this is 'humanly' impossible, my human experience tells me that there are plenty of events that occur in everyday life that science has no explanation for.  Rationally, therefore, I have to accept that there are areas of life which don't conform to the strait-jacket of scientific methodology.

One can argue that all religions have to be true or none; but that ignores that fact that there is only one whose founder claimed to be God in human form.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »

I really disagree here. If it's posited that Jesus was dead and then wasn't within the natural world, then by definition it is a naturalistic phenomena. Therefore, potentially, the scientific method can investigate such a phenomena if it occurs, and it's only when god is added into the equation as the cause of that natural phenomena that it becomes impervious to science.

I'm starting to find here that a clear distinction needs to be made between a resurrection and a resurrection by god, as it's tripping a lot of people up.

Isn't the by god part implied by us discussing it with Christains who claim it was done by god and is non naturalistic.

Andy

« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
If you're going to use something you consider to be 'humanly' impossible as an option, then your list of options might as well be endless in order to include all 'humanly' impossible things.

Andy

« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »

Isn't the by god part implied by us discussing it with Christains who claim it was done by god and is non naturalistic.

Yes, more often than not, but that doesn't mean the resurrection by itself can't be investigated using a naturalistic methodology, even if they do claim it was done by god.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »
So, if you are going to claim that Jesus was dead, and then wasn't etc, then a method based on naturalism doesn't help so you would need to define what non-naturalistic phenomena 'is' in the first place, and also a methodology that can be used to identify and describe 'it'. That you think the anecdotal claims in the NT 'is sufficient evidence for someone who is already open to the possibility.' does raise other problems, confirmation bias being just one, and what constitutes 'evidence' being another.

Quite - what I've saying, such as in my post 271, is that if it this was just another naturalistic claim then it would be amenable to, for instance, a medical investigation and explanation.

However, what is being claimed here by theists seems to be something other than naturalism and, as such, they'd need a method that is specific to whatever this 'god' aspect is (or isn't) - but they seem to be coy on this front. 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:03:53 AM by Gordon »

Andy

« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »

Quite - what I've saying, such as in my post 271, is that if it this was just another naturalistic claim then it would be amenable to, for instance, a medical investigation and explanation.

However, what is being claimed here by theists seems to be something other than naturalism and, as such, they'd need a method that is specific to whatever this 'god' aspect is (or isn't) - but they seem to be coy on this front.

That's fair enough, but I still feel it is something we need to be cautious over, otherwise we all end up arguing past one another as we sing from different hymn sheets.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
That's fair enough, but I still feel it is something we need to be cautious over, otherwise we all end up arguing past one another as we sing from different hymn sheets.
People have been doing this since I first got into this debate 40+ years ago, Andy. 

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #313 on: August 07, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
Yes, more often than not, but that doesn't mean the resurrection by itself can't be investigated using a naturalistic methodology, even if they do claim it was done by god.
Taht's what I've tried to do in my post #306

Andy

« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
That's what I've tried to do in my post #306

Yes, and you included in there an option that you considered to be 'humanly' impossible. "Humanly" sounds a bit vague and wishy-washy, don't you just mean naturally impossible?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #315 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Yes, and you included in there an option that you considered to be 'humanly' impossible. "Humanly" sounds a bit vague and wishy-washy, don't you just mean naturally impossible?
No, I don't mean 'naturally impossible'.  I know that a lot of people like to equate 'science' with 'natural' (as in the 'laws of nature').  For me, nature goes far beyond what these 'laws of nature' are said to describe.  It is partly way I tend not to refer to the 'supernatural', but use the term 'supranatural' which I use to refer to elements of nature that 'transcend' the much-vaunted 'laws of nature' that science relies on.

Spud

« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
, that the that post-mortem changes over the next 2/3 days were in line with the known stages of decomposition in respect of the climatic norms of the middle-east in spring/early summer,
Mark uses the word 'corpse' rather than 'body', post-crucifixion. (15:42-46)

I'm quite surprised; NS seems to be saying that the evidence given the disciples- ie to have witnessed Jesus' death, burial and resurrection- is insufficient as a methodology, even for them. Or maybe he's saying it's insufficient when it comes to you or I believing on the basis of their testimony. That I can agree with, except that it is sufficient evidence for someone who is already open to the possibility.

On that issue, Jesus says, "Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe".

Evidence is not a methodology, science is. It is your methodology that determines what is acceptable evidence. Science only works naturalistically. In order to evaluate a supernatural claim, I would need a methodology that allows me to determine what is evidence for that. Do you have one?

Well, I personally see what happened in the case of Jesus as being as comprehensive a test for a supernatural event as could possibly be done. It could only have been more comprehensive if he had appeared on the roof of the temple so that everyone who played a part in his death could see him alive again. But he chose not to, understandably.
It seems that what you are actually after is a methodology that enables you to understand how the resurrection happened. That would indeed be naturalistic.

Andy

« Reply #317 on: August 07, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
No, I don't mean 'naturally impossible'.  I know that a lot of people like to equate 'science' with 'natural' (as in the 'laws of nature').  For me, nature goes far beyond what these 'laws of nature' are said to describe.  It is partly way I tend not to refer to the 'supernatural', but use the term 'supranatural' which I use to refer to elements of nature that 'transcend' the much-vaunted 'laws of nature' that science relies on.

From what I see, it's more a case of you assuming people equate science with nature, but hey-ho.

And what you've described has made what it means to be "natural" as redundant. It's all just 'supranature' which just supersedes nature as and whenever.

Plus, as I've already stated, you've exhausted your list of options at one 'humanly' impossible scenario, when the list should be saturated by them.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
Hope

If we assume, for the sake of argument, that there was a person that we refer to as Jesus, and he the was a charismatic preacher with a band of dedicated followers but was (for whatever reasons) executed as a trouble maker.

Within the bounds of naturalism there seem to be just two options.

1. Jesus was routinely killed, he stayed dead and his body routinely disposed of. The resurrection stuff is 'keeping the dream alive' propaganda arising from people within his following, and that the credulity of others allowing this propaganda to grow arms and legs. That people fabricate stuff, make mistakes or are gullible is part of known human behaviour that can't be dismissed without indulging in special pleading that early Christians were immune from human artifice.

2. Jesus wasn't dead at all if it is true that he was seen later.

If we accept that Jesus was actually killed then we reject option 2.

If you are going to go for an option 3 involving divine intervention then you'd need something additional to human testimony, since what people say would be insufficient given the risks of lies or mistakes - you'd need 'something' that would provide an explanation that was mutually exclusive from anything naturalistic (such as what people say and do).

Whilst my rational, 20th/21st century scientific mind says this is 'humanly' impossible, my human experience tells me that there are plenty of events that occur in everyday life that science has no explanation for.  Rationally, therefore, I have to accept that there are areas of life which don't conform to the strait-jacket of scientific methodology.

One can argue that all religions have to be true or none; but that ignores that fact that there is only one whose founder claimed to be God in human form.

Here you are falling into fallacious arguments from incredulity, ignorance and authority.     
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:10:45 PM by Gordon »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
As Gordon has pointed out that leads to his method of checking if a resuurection had happened, rather like you can investigate claims of miracles to establish if what is claim to have happened did. If you find it did, but have no explanation of how, then it is simply unexplained.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »
Well, I personally see what happened in the case of Jesus as being as comprehensive a test for a supernatural event as could possibly be done. It could only have been more comprehensive if he had appeared on the roof of the temple so that everyone who played a part in his death could see him alive again. But he chose not to, understandably.
It seems that what you are actually after is a methodology that enables you to understand how the resurrection happened. That would indeed be naturalistic.

No, I am asking for a methoidology that allows me to conclude something supernatural happened. Can you provide it?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »

I haven't seen anyone equate science with nature. It si as explained simply a method for exploring  nature. If you think that there are things that cannot be inverstigated by it, you have to provide a method for determining that - which is what I have been asking for and you have not been supplying.

Andy

« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
As Gordon has pointed out that leads to his method of checking if a resuurection had happened, rather like you can investigate claims of miracles to establish if what is claim to have happened did. If you find it did, but have no explanation of how, then it is simply unexplained.

Yes, agreed. Also, if we originally thought what was claimed was impossible, but it turns out it did happen, then what happens is our understanding of what is possible changes. I don't get the idea of clinging to it being impossible but for something unfalsifiable making it happen.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:57:34 AM by Andy »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2015, 12:48:43 PM »

Yes, agreed. Also, if we originally thought what was claimed was impossible, but it turns out it did happen, then what happens is our understanding of what is possible changes. I don't get the idea of clinging to it being impossible but for something unfalsifiable making it happen.
Yes, I am not of the opinion that a resurrection did not happen because it is impossible but because the evidence provided is insufficient to conclude that it did happen.

If it did happen, I have no way of determining how other than to assume that it is naturalistic and investigable by science.

Outrider

« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
Do you actually have any evidence that negative 'selective editing' ever occurred?  Remember that modern-day police have to select evidence that corroborates other evidence in building a case against criminals, etc. so this 'selective editing' seems to be quite acceptable to modern society.

Selective editing is only 'positive' or 'negative' in relation to particular angles. As to evidence for editing, I'd say that the mere existence of the New Testament apocrypha demonstrates the fact of that. I've read of textual analysis that suggests elements of various books in the NT have been subsequently amended, but confess that I lack the background to accurately assess those more detailed claims.

I think that, on other threads, we have come to an agreement that Paul's early work as an apostle took place very much in isolation from the original disciples.

I think it was agreed that the work attributed to Paul occurred in isolation to the author(s) of the other works, I'm not sure there's anything reliable to suggest that it's actually Paul.

Option 1: the report of 'blood and water' is, even today, recognised as an indicator of death.  The Roman soldiers who would have taken part in the act of crucifixion would have been experienced in knowing the signs.  Therefore, in disussion with medics and others in this field of science I am happy to discount this as viable option.

This works from an initial assumption that the event happened, which is far from demonstrable. As you say, the Romans of the day performed enough crucifictions, and other means of public execution, as to be reasonable confident that they could determine if someone was dead. The point of public executions is such that a large portion of the general populace would have seen more than a few executions. It's therefore easily conceivable that someone could have invented a crucifiction and merely alleged it was Jesus.

Investigations are replete with people convinced they have seen events they could not possibly have attended, and the more emotionally invested they are in the event the more likely to genuinely believe it they are.

Not only that, but say that 'Jesus' genuinely was put on a cross, and that event was genuinely attended by a collection of people who might be emotionally invested. Given the sentiments of the time, the Romans may have - I have no reason to think this, it's purely hypothetical - not wished to risk a riot and taken him down early. The watchers, well aware of why people are normally cut down, presume he's dead and create the sure and certain knowledge of the death scene that never happened.

I know that we have a tendency to imagine that ancient civilisation people were somehow more stupid than us, but this is a phenomenon we see in modern people, it's a facet of human nature. 

Option 2: The disciples stole the body.  In view of the other messianic claims that had been doing the rounds over the period of 50-100 years, no other disciple-group had tried this.  When one remembers the politico-militaristic nature of many of these messianic claims compared to the peaceful nature of Jesus' messianic claims, one has to ask oneself which disciples would have been more likely to try this kind of action.  When all is taken into account, I find this option as viable as options 1 & 3.

Other groups had been making claims and gaining no traction - that's a motivation for this group to try something different, surely?

Option 4: Whilst my rational, 20th/21st century scientific mind says this is 'humanly' impossible, my human experience tells me that there are plenty of events that occur in everyday life that science has no explanation for.  Rationally, therefore, I have to accept that there are areas of life which don't conform to the strait-jacket of scientific methodology.

No. I don't understand does not mean "therefore magic." I don't know means just that, I don't know. You appear to be trying to set up a 'methodology' that is essentially a false dichotomy: the God of the Gaps.

Science explains lots of things, but what science doesn't explain is therefore the work of a god. Firstly, that's not a methodology, and secondly it fails to appreciate (ironically, given the foundations of Abrahamic mythology) that humans are imperfect: our science isn't finished, so what we don't understand today we might tomorrow.

Even if we never understand something through science, though, that doesn't mean 'therefore gods'. That's not a methodology, that's just an assertion.

So? That's what distinguishes your unsubstantiated claims from those of, say, Hinduism. We're not looking for details of what your claims are, we're asking for a method to determine if there's any justification for accepting the claims.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints