Author Topic: Have you tried reading the NT in the correct order?  (Read 185360 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Have you tried reading the NT in the correct order?
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
I think it was agreed that the work attributed to Paul occurred in isolation to the author(s) of the other works, I'm not sure there's anything reliable to suggest that it's actually Paul.
I wasn't referring to the documentation, some of which is regarded as Pauline and some not.  I was referring to the work he did around the Eastern Med. between about the mid-30s and the mid-40s, before he spent any real time with the original apostles.

This works from an initial assumption that the event happened, which is far from demonstrable. As you say, the Romans of the day performed enough crucifictions, and other means of public execution, as to be reasonable confident that they could determine if someone was dead. The point of public executions is such that a large portion of the general populace would have seen more than a few executions. It's therefore easily conceivable that someone could have invented a crucifiction and merely alleged it was Jesus.
That is an interesting suggestion.  Don't think anyone has suggested it before.   ;)  As such, it doesn't address the question we were discussing.

Investigations are replete with people convinced they have seen events they could not possibly have attended, and the more emotionally invested they are in the event the more likely to genuinely believe it they are.
Which, in itself, assumes that there were more members of Jesus' party of followers present at the event than those who the Gospels report were.

Not only that, but say that 'Jesus' genuinely was put on a cross, and that event was genuinely attended by a collection of people who might be emotionally invested.
See above

Given the sentiments of the time, the Romans may have - I have no reason to think this, it's purely hypothetical - not wished to risk a riot and taken him down early. The watchers, well aware of why people are normally cut down, presume he's dead and create the sure and certain knowledge of the death scene that never happened.
The implications of this are that the Romans wanted to execute Jesus.  Records suggest that they saw no guilt in him, so wouldn't have been worried about the possibility of a riot.

Other groups had been making claims and gaining no traction - that's a motivation for this group to try something different, surely?
If the message of this messiah had been the same as previous ones, maybe. 

No. I don't understand does not mean "therefore magic."
I'd agree wholeheartedly.  The very fact that you have to resort to the idea of magic points to the pointlessness of its use.

I don't know means just that, I don't know. You appear to be trying to set up a 'methodology' that is essentially a false dichotomy: the God of the Gaps.
No, not a God of the Gaps, but a God of the supra-scientific which means a completely different thing.

Science explains lots of things, but what science doesn't explain is therefore the work of a god.
If you want to believe that, it doesn't bother me.  I don't.  What I have explained is that there are aspects of life which are, by their very nature, non-scientific.  Poetry, for instance.

Even if we never understand something through science, though, that doesn't mean 'therefore gods'. That's not a methodology, that's just an assertion.
I agree, which is why I don't subscribe to that idea.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Outrider

« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »
What I have explained is that there are aspects of life which are, by their very nature, non-scientific.  Poetry, for instance.

I'd question whether poetry (or, indeed, any aesthetic judgment) was beyond psychology and neurology in principle - certainly beyond our capacity now, but not in principle.

Even if we never understand something through science, though, that doesn't mean 'therefore gods'. That's not a methodology, that's just an assertion.
I agree, which is why I don't subscribe to that idea.

Which still doesn't leave us with any sort of alternative methodology - a supernatural counterpart to the methodological naturalism of science - by which we can assess the likelihood or veracity of any of these claims.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
What I have explained is that there are aspects of life which are, by their very nature, non-scientific.  Poetry, for instance.

I'd question whether poetry (or, indeed, any aesthetic judgment) was beyond psychology and neurology in principle - certainly beyond our capacity now, but not in principle.

Yes, this idea that something that is not actual science is non scientifically explainable is a very odd one.

Leonard James

« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »

Yes, this idea that something that is not actual science is non scientifically explainable is a very odd one.

Aesthetic judgement is perfectly adequately explainable by science. It began in evolution when sexually reproducing species began to get choosy about who they would mate with.

cyberman

« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »

Aesthetic judgement is perfectly adequately explainable by science. It began in evolution when sexually reproducing species began to get choosy about who they would mate with.

Then why does only one species display it?

Leonard James

« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »

I'm sorry, Cyber, but that is nonsense. Many species choose a particular mate out of several, and if their advances are rejected (for aesthetic reasons) they have to look for another.

cyberman

« Reply #331 on: August 07, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »

I'm sorry, Cyber, but that is nonsense. Many species choose a particular mate out of several, and if their advances are rejected (for aesthetic reasons) they have to look for another.

No, I know many species display preference for certain mates, of course. What I mean is you are saying that the general aesthetic sense which humans display derives solely from that mating pressure. I am asking why, since many species have that pressure in their evolutionary history, does only one of them display aesthetic judgement in other areas (e.g., art, music..)

Leonard James

« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

No, I know many species display preference for certain mates, of course. What I mean is you are saying that the general aesthetic sense which humans display derives solely from that mating pressure. I am asking why, since many species have that pressure in their evolutionary history, does only one of them display aesthetic judgement in other areas (e.g., art, music..)

Once again you are wrong, if you are implying that only humans do this. Study the activity of bower birds.

cyberman

« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »

Once again you are wrong, if you are implying that only humans do this. Study the activity of bower birds.

Are you seriously suggesting that bower birds have a sense of artistic appreciation?? What nonsense!. They simply respond to hardwired triggers, as does a spider building its web.

Leonard James

« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »

Are you seriously suggesting that bower birds have a sense of artistic appreciation?? What nonsense!. They simply respond to hardwired triggers, as does a spider building its web.

No they don't. They have been observed constructing their bowers, and will decorate it with coloured scraps, hop back to look at the effect, and then change their position until they are satisfied with the overall effect. If that isn't showing aesthetic sense, what do you call it?

Furthermore, many male birds have courtship plumage/dances which is then judged by the female as acceptable or rejected. Once aqain, what else can that be other than aesthetic choice?

cyberman

« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »

No they don't. They have been observed constructing their bowers, and will decorate it with coloured scraps, hop back to look at the effect, and then change their position until they are satisfied with the overall effect. If that isn't showing aesthetic sense, what do you call it?

Furthermore, many male birds have courtship plumage/dances which is then judged by the female as acceptable or rejected. Once aqain, what else can that be other than aesthetic choice?

In both cases, the answer is, as already given "They simply respond to hardwired triggers, as does a spider building its web."

Leonard James

« Reply #336 on: August 07, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »

In both cases, the answer is, as already given "They simply respond to hardwired triggers, as does a spider building its web."

Not so. A spider builds its web to trap food, and it has nothing to do with mating. If you will google for "partner choice for reproducing" you will find many examples.

However, if you have decided that it is not choice but just instinctive, there is little else we can say.

cyberman

« Reply #337 on: August 07, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »
if you have decided that it is not choice but just instinctive, there is little else we can say.

I haven't decided it - I am aware of no science which indicates that the birds are making a conscious choice. Are you?

Leonard James

« Reply #338 on: August 07, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »
if you have decided that it is not choice but just instinctive, there is little else we can say.

I haven't decided it - I am aware of no science which indicates that the birds are making a conscious choice. Are you?

If they choose between different partners, of course they are making a conscious choice.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:40:58 PM by Leonard James »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
And what does this have to do with poetry and the fact that often the sum of the meanings of the words used have little or nothing to do with the meaning of the poem?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #340 on: August 07, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »
Why is my explanation implausible?

It's a dead man coming alive again.  If that isn't implausible, what is?
Why is God raising Jesus from the dead implausible?
This is a joke question, isn't it?

Come on now, you've had your fun - let's get back to the serious discussion, you teasing little scamp, you.
Nope.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
I'll take shifting the burden of proof for a thousand, Alex.
We Christians have provided one explanation. Your lot won't even try, but just keep chucking out sound bites.

Any chance you can provide a plausible explanation for the whole thing?

Thought not.
There is no such thing as the 'whole thing' - your explanation assumes claims as facts, and is not evidence itself - it is entirely circular.

And is still shifting the burden of proof - I find your approach deeply dishonest.
So why do you think the Gospel-writers and Paul claimed those things happened?
not a clue, not even sure who these people are so have insufficient information to even hazard a guess.
Go on, NS. Don't be shy.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »

Come on now, you've had your fun - let's get back to the serious discussion, you teasing little scamp, you.
  I would have to agree with Alan, it isn't implausible. It also is not plausible which is based on an assessment of probability which is based on an assumption of naturalism.
Your assumption of naturalism.

Alien

« Reply #343 on: August 07, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »

God wasn't mentioned here, you've just changed the game by adding that in now.
Jesus naturally returning from the dead is almost infinitessimally unlikely that we all agree it would not have happened, but that is not what we are discussing. We are discussing the Christian claim that God raised Jesus from the dead.

And you pretty much just said so yourself that it's impossible without god, so you agree.
If there is no God, it is impossible for Jesus to have been raised from the dead. (Not G implies not R). That is what you have said here. Therefore, since Jesus was raised from the dead, there is a God. (R implies G - aka Modus Tollens).

Alien

« Reply #344 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »

"God" himself is implausible.
Why? What is your evidence?
People coming back from death is implausible.
Naturally, yes, I agree wholeheartedly, but tht is not what we are claiming happened.
You'd hardly expect to get a plausible from two implausibles, would you?
N/a.

Alien

« Reply #345 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
What about if you saw what John describes (the last breath, the spear in the side) then you saw him and were able to feel the wounds with your hands, three days later.

I've seen a guy tear up a piece of paper that I gave him, two feet in front of me, and then found it while in an envelope he'd already given me.

Human perception is both limited and over-rated - eye-witness accounts are far from reliable, and the weaknesses of both human sensory perception and mental processing are increasingly well-studied.

We are easy to deceive, especially when we have preconceptions to play on: if someone sets up a 'mock crucifiction', and all the appearances concur with the idea of a crucifiction, we're going to presume that a crucifiction is happening.

If, later on, despite how well I was observing the situation, the crucified guy walks back into the room I wouldn't presume magic or the suspension of the normal laws of physics, I'd put a recommendation on their Facebook page and walk away wondering how they'd done it.

No matter how convincing the original display is, I'd still put an unknown but rational explanation as more likely than an unknown 'supernatural' explanation: deception, no matter how difficult or convoluted, is still a more likely explanation than 'a god did it'.

O.
OK, as has been offered before, show us how it was done. I've got a cross, some nails and a spear. Are you up for it?

Alien

« Reply #346 on: August 07, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
A vision or hallucination that other people heard? How does that work?

Well, no one heard a voice, according to Acts 22:9
 "Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me".

Which of course contradicts Paul's account in his epistles.
Nope. The NT was written in Greek, not English (as you know). https://carm.org/paul-hear-voice

Alien

« Reply #347 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:27 PM »
, that the that post-mortem changes over the next 2/3 days were in line with the known stages of decomposition in respect of the climatic norms of the middle-east in spring/early summer,
Mark uses the word 'corpse' rather than 'body', post-crucifixion. (15:42-46)

I'm quite surprised; NS seems to be saying that the evidence given the disciples- ie to have witnessed Jesus' death, burial and resurrection- is insufficient as a methodology, even for them. Or maybe he's saying it's insufficient when it comes to you or I believing on the basis of their testimony. That I can agree with, except that it is sufficient evidence for someone who is already open to the possibility.

On that issue, Jesus says, "Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe".

In other words, 'Blessed be the gullible'! ::)
How about contributing to the conversation, floo?

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #348 on: August 08, 2015, 09:29:45 AM »

I would have to agree with Alan, it isn't implausible. It also is not plausible which is based on an assessment of probability which is based on an assumption of naturalism.

If magic then talking snakes, donkeys, demons, zombies, angels are all plausible.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: August 08, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »

no, probability as it is taught as  branch of science and used in the study of history in all schools and universities in this country, since as a branch of science it is methodological naturalistic, as is the study of history.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:41:29 AM by Nearly Sane »