Author Topic: Have you tried reading the NT in the correct order?  (Read 184965 times)

Dicky Underpants

Re: Have you tried reading the NT in the correct order?
« Reply #725 on: August 17, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »

I think the ''goodness'' of God is established by his love and the contrast of that love with our own. For our relationship with him is gauged by our love for him, and love for our neighbour and ourselves.

But what is your verifiable method of showing that God's love really exists?
What verifiable method of any love have we?
Givers and recipients of love have to exist for starters. From then on I should say that it's a matter of observing behaviour consistent with how we define love and what we regard loving behaviour to be.

Complicated by the observation (pace C.S. Lewis) that, in NT terms, there are four types of 'love' to choose from: storge, philia, eros, and agape.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #726 on: August 17, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »

I think the ''goodness'' of God is established by his love and the contrast of that love with our own. For our relationship with him is gauged by our love for him, and love for our neighbour and ourselves.

No idea, but I'm not the one using God's love as a basis for evidence of a supernatural claim.

If you want to claim that God's goodness is established by his love, you have to establish his love, otherwise the claim that God is good fails.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #727 on: August 17, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »

Givers and recipients of love have to exist for starters. From then on I should say that it's a matter of observing behaviour consistent with how we define love and what we regard loving behaviour to be.
Yes that's true, next we have to demonstrate that there can only be material givers and receivers of love.

If you are a materialist of the Shaker variety you then get your 'Loveometer'' labelled with the correct SI units.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #728 on: August 17, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
Actually, I'd be prepared to let him have deductive logic.  The problem is, you can't say anything with deductive logic without some premises that you believe to be true.  For example, I suspect Vlad is about to make an argument based on the premise that God is good, but unlike statements about the material world where we can observe behaviour, he has no way of establishing the probable truth or otherwise of his premise.

You might be, but I would suggest that deductive logic is based on an acceptance at some level of philospohpical naturalism. So for example Vlad wants to privilege his experince but if there are contradictory experiences, these are some how allowed in Vlad's world as not necessarotly being tur or false. Someone could either have an expereince of no god or some god with contradictory elements and, yet they are all somehow in Vlad's view true. Since this seems to me to against deductive logic,  he cannot have that either.
A non experience is not necessarily contrary to an experience.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #729 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »

No idea, but I'm not the one using God's love as a basis for evidence of a supernatural claim.

If you want to claim that God's goodness is established by his love, you have to establish his love, otherwise the claim that God is good fails.
That's something we can only really establish for ourselves I would have thought.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #730 on: August 17, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Actually, I'd be prepared to let him have deductive logic.  The problem is, you can't say anything with deductive logic without some premises that you believe to be true.  For example, I suspect Vlad is about to make an argument based on the premise that God is good, but unlike statements about the material world where we can observe behaviour, he has no way of establishing the probable truth or otherwise of his premise.

You might be, but I would suggest that deductive logic is based on an acceptance at some level of philospohpical naturalism. So for example Vlad wants to privilege his experince but if there are contradictory experiences, these are some how allowed in Vlad's world as not necessarotly being tur or false. Someone could either have an expereince of no god or some god with contradictory elements and, yet they are all somehow in Vlad's view true. Since this seems to me to against deductive logic,  he cannot have that either.
If philosophical naturalism demands cause and effect then what is the problem with God causing something since cause and effect is still definitionally maintained.

Outrider

« Reply #731 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

If philosophical naturalism demands cause and effect then what is the problem with God causing something since cause and effect is still definitionally maintained.

Just as soon as you explain which cause your god is an effect of, of course...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #732 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »
Because that's just naturalism we don't understand, and by its 'nature' this stops free will.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #733 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:38 PM »

That's something we can only really establish for ourselves I would have thought.

Can I remind you that you introduced this line of argument to show that your claim that God is good is true.  It seems you re telling me that your own argument is a failure.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #734 on: August 17, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
Except if you are privileging something about experience to determine truth - in which case it would be both a and not a.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #735 on: August 17, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »

Can I remind you that you introduced this line of argument to show that your claim that God is good is true.  It seems you re telling me that your own argument is a failure.
So god is evil then....show your working out.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #736 on: August 17, 2015, 04:04:50 PM »

Why?  I'm not arguing one way or another whether God is good or evil.  I don't think there is a god.  This little sub thread is about you showing us that various claims you have made about the supernatural are true.

floo

« Reply #737 on: August 17, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »
If the deity in the Bible is a 'god of love', its idea of love is what many would term hate.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #738 on: August 17, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »

The whole saga of evolution as a 'divine experiment' that has continually gone wrong - with mass extinction following mass extinction of life. The increase in apparent 'complexification' only resulting in increased capacity for perceived suffering. And we humans, chasing after transitory pleasures and some believing in phantom deities who have our best interests at heart... Maybe 'God' is still experimenting, and looking on with all the compassion of a demented scientist, just nudging genes and environmental scenarios only for the 'fun' of seeing what happens?

(And no, I don't think the above scenario is true, since I do not believe in any god - but it seems as plausible as the 'good God' scenario, if you insist on dragging the supernatural into the matter.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:15:17 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #739 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
Except if you are privileging something about experience to determine truth - in which case it would be both a and not a.
That smacks as though we must privilege the non experience though.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #740 on: August 17, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »

You must listen to those who once thought they had 'experience' and then at later times (often at critical points in their lives) when they had 'non-experience'. Of course we must privilege non-experience, if by 'privilege' you mean take serious account of such things.

Le Bon David

Shaker

« Reply #741 on: August 17, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
Yes that's true, next we have to demonstrate that there can only be material givers and receivers of love.
Not really. That there are material givers and receivers of love is a given; as is always the case, if you want to posit anything over and above that, the burden of proof is yours.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #742 on: August 17, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
Not really. That there are material givers and receivers of love is a given; as is always the case, if you want to posit anything over and above that, the burden of proof is yours.
Prove love is being given. SI units please.

Shaker

« Reply #743 on: August 17, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »
You misunderstand. In the earlier scenario we were discussing, the existence of material givers and recipients of love - flesh and blood creatures, human or non-human - is the given. If you want to posit that something non-material can give or receive love, the floor is yours.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #744 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »

You must listen to those who once thought they had 'experience' and then at later times (often at critical points in their lives) when they had 'non-experience'. Of course we must privilege non-experience, if by 'privilege' you mean take serious account of such things.
Why privilege non experience though, or are you specially pleading....Privilege Religious non experience or non religious experience?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #745 on: August 17, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
You misunderstand. In the earlier scenario we were discussing, the existence of material givers and recipients of love - flesh and blood creatures, human or non-human - is the given. If you want to posit that something non-material can give or receive love, the floor is yours.
Non material or non existent?

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #746 on: August 17, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »

Why privilege non experience though, or are you specially pleading....Privilege Religious non experience or non religious experience?

I say: examine them both and subject them to phenomenological analysis. Then, you pays your money and... I've made my decision, and it would take something pretty earth-shattering to change my view now. "I've looked at life from both sides now..."

Le Bon David

Shaker

« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »
The former tends to look very much like the latter, and can certainly be treated as such  ;)

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »

I say: examine them both and subject them to phenomenological analysis. Then, you pays your money and... I've made my decision, and it would take something pretty earth-shattering to change my view now. "I've looked at life from both sides now..."
Sorry Pants I think we'd have to sort out such an analysis from philosophical naturalism and I am still puzzled by a focus on those who lose there faith as you seem to be saying they are somehow superior witnesses rather than Gumball machine theorists to put things bluntly.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #749 on: August 17, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
The former tends to look very much like the latter, and can certainly be treated as such  ;)
Well sorry you had your chance to be philosophically even handed but your antitheistic optical swivelity prevented it.