Author Topic: Amusing religious cartoons  (Read 7075 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Amusing religious cartoons
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
http://sircolby.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Pastor-Priest-Rabbi.jpg

This one entitled 'A pastor, priest and rabbi walk into a bar ...'
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
Re: Amusing religious cartoons
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »
"...what a marvellous way to build interfaith understanding. "

((c) Bernard Righton)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Owlswing

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:56 PM »
http://sircolby.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Pastor-Priest-Rabbi.jpg

This one entitled 'A pastor, priest and rabbi walk into a bar ...'

Ye Gods and Little Fishes! Couldn't you find an older one than that?

Funny yonks ago, but a bit old hat now.

To be truthful there are not many "Amusing religious cartoons" any more as they have gone the way of Irish and Polish jokes under the weight of political correctness, otherwise known as actions likley to incite religious hatred..
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
That's not really religious is it.  I knew it as:

A man walked into a bar

"Ow!"
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:02:33 PM »
To be truthful there are not many "Amusing religious cartoons" any more as they have gone the way of Irish and Polish jokes under the weight of political correctness, otherwise known as actions likley to incite religious hatred..
That only applies to jokes about Muslims.  Hindus and Buddhists never did seem to be particularly joke-prone; whilst Christians - especially pastors - are quite happy to tell jokes at their own expense.  The reason this particular one was deemed funny was because the artist is American and its an American site.  I suppose I also found it humorous because I've never seen a visual representation of it.  Its only ever been a verbal joke.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
That only applies to jokes about Muslims.  Hindus and Buddhists never did seem to be particularly joke-prone; whilst Christians - especially pastors - are quite happy to tell jokes at their own expense.  The reason this particular one was deemed funny was because the artist is American and its an American site.  I suppose I also found it humorous because I've never seen a visual representation of it.  Its only ever been a verbal joke.

Fair enough.

However I would dispute your point about it only being Muslims who get offended.

I did a charity gig about a year ago and was sent a list of "subjects not considered suitable targets for humour". This included, among other things - Ethnicity, disabilities, sexual orientation, religion (any and all), obesity, anorexia, mental illness (where not covered by disability), poverty, unemployment.

The final line of the letter stated that in order to avoid giving offence comedy should, if possible, be restricted to the weather and politicians.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »
I did a charity gig about a year ago and was sent a list of "subjects not considered suitable targets for humour". This included, among other things - Ethnicity, disabilities, sexual orientation, religion (any and all), obesity, anorexia, mental illness (where not covered by disability), poverty, unemployment.
And I wonder who developed this list?  Was it people from the various religious, health-related, etc. groups, or was it a bunch of out-of-touch politicos?  I can think of listening to/watching comedians from the very same groupings that are listed above making fun of themselves and other such groups.  Mind you, I'd probably agree with avoiding poverty and unemployment and anything else that is not a choice; anything that is a choice is, to my mind, open to humour.

The final line of the letter stated that in order to avoid giving offence comedy should, if possible, be restricted to the weather and politicians.
In other words, comedy oughtn't to be allowed in public spaces?   ;)

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »
Did the lawyers compiling the list remember to exempt themselves? Probably could include them as politicians?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Owlswing

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 07:12:19 PM »
And I wonder who developed this list?  Was it people from the various religious, health-related, etc. groups, or was it a bunch of out-of-touch politicos?  I can think of listening to/watching comedians from the very same groupings that are listed above making fun of themselves and other such groups.  Mind you, I'd probably agree with avoiding poverty and unemployment and anything else that is not a choice; anything that is a choice is, to my mind, open to humour.

I think that there is a world of difference between a, lesbian, making fun of lesbians and a hetero male making fun of lesbians. 

I think that there is a world of difference between a, lesbian, making fun of lesbians and a hetero male making fun of lesbians.  Comedy has a place in pubic and in private, it just needs to be vary carefully adjusted to the audience present

Thankfully I no longer have the necessity to worry about it as my humour is now reserved for a group of friends whose tastes I am aware of and can tailor my jokes to that group.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:31:42 PM by CMG KCMG GCMG »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »
Matt, could you reformat this post so as to get the quoting correct.  Its late at night and my brain isn't up to unscrambling the quoting errors.  Thanks.

Owlswing

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
Matt, could you reformat this post so as to get the quoting correct.  Its late at night and my brain isn't up to unscrambling the quoting errors.  Thanks.
Can someone carrying less years and more brain cells than I please assist?

cyberman

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »
I believe it was meant to look like this:

I think that there is a world of difference between a, lesbian, making fun of lesbians and a hetero male making fun of lesbians. 

Comedy has a place in pubic and in private, it just needs to be vary carefully adjusted to the audience present

Thankfully I no longer have the necessity to worry about it as my humour is now reserved for a group of friends whose tastes I am aware of and can tailor my jokes to that group.

Owlswing

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »
I believe it was meant to look like this:

Comedy has a place in pubic and in private, it just needs to be vary carefully adjusted to the audience present

Thanks!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 11:09:32 AM »

For a cartoon or joke to be such, it has to actually be funny!   Some cartoons, in particular, are simply a vehicle to deride and no more, under the disguise of humour.
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Owlswing

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »

For a cartoon or joke to be such, it has to actually be funny!   Some cartoons, in particular, are simply a vehicle to deride and no more, under the disguise of humour.

I disagree.

Humour is one of those things which is peculiarly personal; one person's humour is another's derision.

A friend of mine thinks that Roy 'Chubby' Brown is the greatest and funniest comedian ever. Personally I find his "humour" anything but humourous, like Frankie Boyle, relying almost totally of an obscenity every other word. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »

This seems to imply you believe in Objective Humour?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »

I disagree.

Humour is one of those things which is peculiarly personal; one person's humour is another's derision.

A friend of mine thinks that Roy 'Chubby' Brown is the greatest and funniest comedian ever. Personally I find his "humour" anything but humourous, like Frankie Boyle, relying almost totally of an obscenity every other word.

I, in turn, agree with you, up to a point  To me the difference is that the likes of Roy Brown are attempting to be funny, even though many find them offensive; but cartoons have an agenda, and often the "humorous" aspect is pretty contrived. 
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:59 AM »
I, in turn, agree with you, up to a point  To me the difference is that the likes of Roy Brown are attempting to be funny, even though many find them offensive; but cartoons have an agenda, and often the "humorous" aspect is pretty contrived.

What is this 'attempting to be funny'? You seem to be implying that any humour that has any form of a point e.g. satire - is not humour?

King Oberon

• Spread your wings and let the fairy in you fly!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »
In fairness NS I find bashers one of the most amusing people on here.. especially when he's being serious  ;)
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
In fairness NS I find bashers one of the most amusing people on here.. especially when he's being serious  ;)

It must be hurting by now.  Your tongue in your cheek, that is!     ;)
BA.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »

What is this 'attempting to be funny'? You seem to be implying that any humour that has any form of a point e.g. satire - is not humour?

Basically, humour simply has to make you laugh.  If it is satire, fine as long as it's funny, and not cruel.
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »

Basically, humour simply has to make you laugh.  If it is satire, fine as long as it's funny, and not cruel.

But funny is as already covered is subjective, and if I find something like the cartoons funny, then that is humour. Further cruel is subjective

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »

But funny is as already covered is subjective, and if I find something like the cartoons funny, then that is humour. Further cruel is subjective

Cruel is cruel!  Unless the person/organisation, whatever, being satirised is in some way objectionable, then why be cruel?  An example that springs to mind (for some reason) is the Duchess of Cornwall.  She's not my kind of person, but some of the stuff aimed at her, is acutely unkind.  We can all think of people who become the butt of unkind humour, euphamistically called satire.
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
And I might agree with you about what is cruel but it is opinion, and it does not mean that something I think of as cruel I might not also find funny. Rowlandson and Gillray spring to mind.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
And I might agree with you about what is cruel but it is opinion, and it does not mean that something I think of as cruel I might not also find funny. Rowlandson and Gillray spring to mind.

I admit, when I see or read what are blatantly cruel "jokes" or humour, I do laugh;  but feel guilty about it.  I think of how I'd feel if subjected to such humour.
BA.