Author Topic: Listening for Aliens  (Read 6937 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Listening for Aliens
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33596271

Wasd interested to hear Prof Stephen Hawking announce this latest effort to discover life beyond our solar system.

The one question that ran through my mind was, 'what if we discover life compared to which we - as humans - are as thick as the proverbial two short planks?'  How will we feel?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Sebastian Toe

Re: Listening for Aliens
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »

Wasd interested to hear Prof Stephen Hawking announce this latest effort to discover life beyond our solar system.

The one question that ran through my mind was, 'what if we discover life compared to which we - as humans - are as thick as the proverbial two short planks?'  How will we feel?
Thick?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »

Quote from: Eric Idle
pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »

Let's hope they don't need a new by-pass?

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »

Ah, perhaps this why some of my posts don't get replied to. People don't think I exist. Are they a-Aliens?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
But surely they are already here in the Annunaki and lizards and scientologists?

Jack Knave

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »

We'll become their pets.

The odds of there being life out there on our level is pretty much zero.........."Oh, high. So which planet are you from?"......."Oh great, we're going for walkies!"

ekim

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:04:12 PM »
...... and Nigel Farrage would form the WIP, World Independence Party.

Jack Knave

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 04:33:07 PM »
You mean the SSIP, the Solar System Independence Party.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
If Torridon is right and thought control of machinery is nearly possible, couldn't technologically advanced aliens be doing the same but controlling people. Brian Cox looks as though he is under some kind of influence.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
we have a very fixed idea of what "life" would be like. Here on Planet Earth it is essentially carbon based and physical.

What happens if "life" takes a different form? Perhaps it could exist in plasma rather than solid form. Perhaps it could have no physical form at all but be merely positive and negative charges.

Perhaps the gas giant planets - Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune - are teeming in life, but in a form which is tolerable to the conditions existing there. It might be that life forms exist for which we do not have the sensors to detect nor the technology with which to communicate.

They could be right here in the room now ....

Who knows,
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
Harrowby Hall raises some great points which at base for me become the question 'what is life?'. If it looks like us  even if it were a zombie or a computer, we would probaly go 'oh look intelligent life''

If we are talking about very simple forms - who knows - how could we tell? It would be life by our perception

floo

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »

Some intelligent life forms on other planets could well be more evolved intellectually than we are. In our efforts to contact them we should be aware that could be the case, and the consequences that could follow such contact.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »

No, it would have to be the GIP,  The Galactic Independence Party.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »

This is like what one used to write on school jotters.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »

Mind you, if he wanted to be the GIP, he would need the backing of Prince Charles, all-time Lord of the Cosmos.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

cyberman

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

Mind you, if he wanted to be the GIP, he would need the backing of Prince Charles, all-time Lord of the Cosmos.

Did someone say Time Lord..?

cyberman

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »

No! Signing up to the Solar System would be a disaster. We'd be giving away control over taxation, justice, immigration. They'd make us label are food in space-grams and everyone on the bus would be speaking Martian.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
I agree with cyberman, the Saturnians and Jupiterians just run the solar system for themselves because they are larger and joined first, it's their club and we follow the rules but they just break them with their more moons than is allowed and their rings and spots which we stopped but they have.

ekim

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
I agree with cyberman, the Saturnians and Jupiterians just run the solar system for themselves because they are larger and joined first, it's their club and we follow the rules but they just break them with their more moons than is allowed and their rings and spots which we stopped but they have.
Not only that, Pluto is a dwarf planet.  We cannot possibly cope with an influx of millions of dwarves.  Pluto also has 5 moons it can use ... Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and two others.  We only have half of one the last time I looked.

Jack Knave

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

That would depend on where they are from, they may be from a planet inside the milky Bar Way.

There has just recently been news that they have found a planet in a similar position and size from a star similar to our sun, so we all better take care about how flippant we are about all this.

Jack Knave

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »

No! Signing up to the Solar System would be a disaster. We'd be giving away control over taxation, justice, immigration. They'd make us label are food in space-grams and everyone on the bus would be speaking Martian.
You underestimate the power of the Farage!

May the Farage be with you!!!  ;D

Jack Knave

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »
Not only that, Pluto is a dwarf planet.  We cannot possibly cope with an influx of millions of dwarves.  Pluto also has 5 moons it can use ... Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and two others.  We only have half of one the last time I looked.
But we can moon at them and fart in their general direction.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »
I hear Uranus is a bit of a shithole.

Shaker

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »

Excited by the greatest discovery in human history but also suitably humbled and brought down a much-needed peg or several, I hope.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:40:43 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.