Author Topic: Why have so many dogs leapt to their deaths from Overtoun Bridge?  (Read 2942 times)

Bubbles

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:38:58 PM by Rose »

ippy

Re: Why have so many dogs leapt to their deaths from Overtoun Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
An old story, but interesting non the less.

Why have so many dogs leapt to their deaths from Overtoun Bridge?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411038/Why-dogs-leapt-deaths-Overtoun-Bridge.html#ixzz3gXOekRDl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wondered if it was something to do with perspective that a dog might have that we lack, which fools it into making a bad judgment when leaping onto the bridge.

Smelling mink doesn't sound that convincing to me.
Your thoughts?

Another report more recent

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scotland-600-dogs-mysteriously-jump-off-haunted-suicide-overtoun-bridge-1507827

I know it gets cold up there in Scotland but I wouldn't have thought it was that bad; are there any Huskies on the list of casualties?

ippy

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
Maybe they were just feeling ruff?
(sorry....)
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
I think the explanation given in the Wikipedia page is the most likely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtoun_Bridge

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ippy

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »
Maybe they were just feeling ruff?
(sorry....)

I thought my post was a bit naff.

ippy

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:08 AM »

Yes until you read further on where a local hunter says their are no mink in the area.

😀🌹

Yes because he is totally infallible.  Or not. 

It doesn't have to be mink btw.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
Walked across the bridge many times around 20 - 30 years ago, didn't catch a whiff of mink. It certainly wasn't particularly noted at that time.

Rhiannon

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »
I'm not sure I believe the mink scent argument. Presumably the argument is that these dogs are air-scenting the mink and a driven mad to get to them, but dogs on a trail will still go round things, and given the prevalence of mink in the country similar incidents should be reported elsewhere. If the dogs were sight hounds in pursuit of something they could see I could understand it but not this. Jumping over a parapet as described sounds very odd.

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
Been thinking about this some more and going over the parapet suggests that the dogs are terrified by something - fear does make animals climb up or over things they shouldn't. I'm wondering if either there is a strong infrasound effect nearby or the waterfall underneath frightens sensitive dogs.

The other alternative is this behaviour is either not as dramatic as described or is replicated elsewhere but this story has caught the imagination due to it being a dramatic Victorian bridge with Goth overtones rather than a sixties metal thing.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
I've read a suggestion that it might relate to the bridge not looking like a bridge to the dog but looking like a wall - so if it is attarcted to something - or repelled by something it makes me the leap assuming it is like a garden wall.

When I loaded up the link, I have to admit I was a little surprised that it was a bridge I had crossed many times, but one thing that struck me is that I hadn't stored in my head quite how far the drop was, in part because even from a human point of view it's quite a deceptive bridge. I have a mild phobia of bridges in part because of having a form of acrophobia which makes me think I will throw myself off high spots, but I don't think it was ever triggered by the bridge because it isn't obvious that it is a high bridge, or even a bridge if you are not overlooking the wall. It feels like it is a wall to something of the equivalent drop.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »
It's a strange compulsion feeling it but it's relatively mild. My brother in law has it worse and doesn't like anything high where there isn't a balustrade up to his waist. As noted - I don't remember felling anything like that on the bridge.

Rhiannon

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
I've read a suggestion that it might relate to the bridge not looking like a bridge to the dog but looking like a wall - so if it is attarcted to something - or repelled by something it makes me the leap assuming it is like a garden wall.

When I loaded up the link, I have to admit I was a little surprised that it was a bridge I had crossed many times, but one thing that struck me is that I hadn't stored in my head quite how far the drop was, in part because even from a human point of view it's quite a deceptive bridge. I have a mild phobia of bridges in part because of having a form of acrophobia which makes me think I will throw myself off high spots, but I don't think it was ever triggered by the bridge because it isn't obvious that it is a high bridge, or even a bridge if you are not overlooking the wall. It feels like it is a wall to something of the equivalent drop.

Yes. That would make sense. I was surprised to read that the bridge goes over a high waterfall - it isn't the kind of bridge you associate with such places, probably because it was built to accommodate carriages rather than people on foot.

I'm sorry to hear of your phobia. I have had similar feelings sometimes at heights, although not always. One very vivid memory I have is as a teenager going on one of those huge carousels with swing-type seats that rise up and out over the ground - they are quite high and there is nothing beneath you. I was held in with just a lose chain across my lap and  I spent the whole ride fighting the temptation just to slide off.

I'm quite acrophobic - I can't climb beyond the first two steps on a stepladder or walk across a little bridge unless there is a handrail, especially over water. I don't like going up escalators either as I feel as though I will fall backwards, although I'm ok going down.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
Been thinking about this some more and going over the parapet suggests that the dogs are terrified by something - fear does make animals climb up or over things they shouldn't. I'm wondering if either there is a strong infrasound effect nearby or the waterfall underneath frightens sensitive dogs.

Why go over the parapet?  Why not just run off the end?  Why doesn't it happen to all dogs, not just ones known for a good sense of smell?

The other alternative is this behaviour is either not as dramatic as described or is replicated elsewhere but this story has caught the imagination due to it being a dramatic Victorian bridge with Goth overtones rather than a sixties metal thing.

That's a thought that occurred to me.  Apparently, it is about one a year.  Is that a high number of dogs per year or not?  It could just be a random statistical cluster. 

Rhiannon

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »
And have those that died all really jumped over the parapet or is that something the owner perceives because they know the story? Or adds in afterwards once they hear it? One dog a year doesn't sound especially high if it used a lot by dog walkers.

I take your point about frightened dogs not going over the side but the same applies to dogs with a scent. But if it does look like a wall rather than a parapet then dogs in either situation might leap it. Given the ease with which some dogs can take fright as well as the possibility of mink or other stinky prey species in the vicinity,  this  increasingly seems like natural behaviour combined with a design flaw.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »

I take your point about frightened dogs not going over the side but the same applies to dogs with a scent.

Not if the scent led over the parapet.

Rhiannon

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »

I take your point about frightened dogs not going over the side but the same applies to dogs with a scent.

Not if the scent led over the parapet.

Not likely. The mink would die and they aren't stupid. They won't have a run in that direction - it would be down the bank. IME that is where most dogs would try to follow the scent, my own included.

No, it would be the kinds of hounds that air-scent rather than those that follow ground trails that go over - but would the scent of mink be on the air over a waterfall? I don't know.

I don't know how driven an air-scenting dog would be in these circumstances - assuming the scent is there over the bridge - but I do know that frightened dogs can panic and need to escape at all costs. I've seen terrified dogs that have slipped their leads running in the middle of main roads. There could be other things spooking dogs in the area - aircraft, especially if there is an airbase nearby, or horses, or shooting which sounds like fireworks.