Author Topic: Omega 3 tablets v Omega 3, 6 and 9 tablets  (Read 5070 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Omega 3 tablets v Omega 3, 6 and 9 tablets
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »
Just a quick q.  My wife and I, in addition to our medical tablets, take supplements - Omega 3, Garlic and Glucosamine/Chondritin.

I notice that our usual supplier - Healthspan - has started offering Omega 3, 6 & 9 in combination. Is there a huge difference between the single and the combination?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Omega 3 tablets v Omega 3, 6 and 9 tablets
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Put the NIV on your ipad.
Then you'll have an Alpha and Omega tablet.

(sorry....)
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
Put the NIV on your ipad.
Then you'll have an Alpha and Omega tablet.

(sorry....)
I already have the ESV on my Kindle.  Don't have an iPad.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »
Just a quick q.  My wife and I, in addition to our medical tablets, take supplements - Omega 3, Garlic and Glucosamine/Chondritin.

I notice that our usual supplier - Healthspan - has started offering Omega 3, 6 & 9 in combination. Is there a huge difference between the single and the combination?

I have just come out of hospital, and I asked one of the Consultants about the supplements I have been taking.  He said, " Don't waste your money."  He said if you eat a well-balanced diet that should be enough.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »

I have just come out of hospital, and I asked one of the Consultants about the supplements I have been taking.  He said, " Don't waste your money."  He said if you eat a well-balanced diet that should be enough.
Well said, your Consultant!! I certainly agree. Hope you're okay.

I was talking to a chap at the gym the other day - he's been a regular there for 12 years he was saying. 95 and as spry as a much younger man and I'll bet he doesn't take any supplements.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Well said, your Consultant!! I certainly agree. Hope you're okay.

I was talking to a chap at the gym the other day - he's been a regular there for 12 years he was saying. 95 and as spry as a much younger man and I'll bet he doesn't take any supplements.

Thank you Rose:  it was a strangulated hernia:  not nice, but the hospital were superb, Consultants, all the way down.  (The QMC, Nottingham.)
BA.

ippy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
If you're on a reasonable mixed diet their shouldn't be any need for extra vitamins, your body takes what it needs and the rest are disposed of in the normal way.

So unless you're directed to take additional vitamins by a professional, you're wasting your money, there are also some vitamins that you can overdose on and they can do you some harm haven't got info on those to hand at the moment, I'm sure our friend Wikkie could help out there.

ippy 

ad_orientem

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »

I don't quite agree. Of course, nothing beats a well balanced diet and supplements are not a substitute but the clue is in the name "supplement". For most people it's very difficult to get all the nutrients from food alone, so one supplements their already (hopefully) balanced diet. For instance in these northern climes D vitamin is recommended during the winter. I also use omega 3 as well as vitamin C , magnesium and multi vitamin and mineral as an insurance, especially since I exercise vigorously every day.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ippy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »

I don't quite agree. Of course, nothing beats a well balanced diet and supplements are not a substitute but the clue is in the name "supplement". For most people it's very difficult to get all the nutrients from food alone, so one supplements their already (hopefully) balanced diet. For instance in these northern climes D vitamin is recommended during the winter. I also use omega 3 as well as vitamin C , magnesium and multi vitamin and mineral as an insurance, especially since I exercise vigorously every day.

Like I said unless advised by a professional to take some specific item they're a waste of money, because the body takes what it needs and dispenses with the rest via the usual channels; I've four MD's in my immediate family and that's their consensus, I wouldn't have known either way otherwise.

ippy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
I concentrate on proper balancing of grape and grain

ippy

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
I concentrate on proper balancing of grape and grain

On the chin or nose?

ippy

P S Forehead?

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »

Like I said unless advised by a professional to take some specific item they're a waste of money, because the body takes what it needs and dispenses with the rest via the usual channels; I've four MD's in my immediate family and that's their consensus, I wouldn't have known either way otherwise.

ippy

I don't think anyone can say that for sure. Our modern diet is not necessarily perfectly balanced and the role of substances such as the omega oils is not perfectly understood.

And of course, even if it is actually a placebo effect - if it works it works.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

Jack Knave

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 08:13:46 PM »

What are all these things suppose to do? Just have a healthy diet...

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »

How can you ever be sure that your diet is 'healthy'?
Brexit Bar:

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
They will let you know after the postmortem   :)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »

. . . and  people who never die must be eating a healthy diet . . .  I suppose?
Brexit Bar:

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
 So far so good ...
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Jack Knave

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:14 PM »

By eating a healthy and varied diet.

Jack Knave

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »
There wont be one I plan to rise from the dead and ascend into heaven. I can do it if I put my mind to it!!!

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »

Such as chips, deep fried Mars bars, and doughnuts - that seems quite varied.
Brexit Bar:

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:07 PM »
. . . and a few pints of beer for your B vitamins (with a lemon slice for vitamin C)
Brexit Bar:

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 09:21:17 PM »

Unfortunately, that's how some people live, hence the dreadful obesity problem. 

According to the NHS:

The key to a healthy balanced diet is:
eating the right amount of food for how active you are
eating a range of foods – this is what balanced means

The range of foods in your diet should include:
plenty of fruit and vegetables
plenty of bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods (choosing wholegrain varieties when possible)
some milk and dairy foods (choosing lower-fat varieties when possible)
some meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein
just a small amount of foods high in fat and sugar."

Not rocket science, but so many just prefer the chips, sweets, and crisps and Coke option.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:24:56 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »

Unfortunately, that's how some people live, hence the dreadful obesity problem. 

According to the NHS:

The key to a healthy balanced diet is:
eating the right amount of food for how active you are
eating a range of foods – this is what balanced means

The range of foods in your diet should include:
plenty of fruit and vegetables
plenty of bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods (choosing wholegrain varieties when possible)
some milk and dairy foods (choosing lower-fat varieties when possible)
some meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein
just a small amount of foods high in fat and sugar."

Not rocket science, but so many just prefer the chips, sweets, and crisps and Coke option.

That's fine - but 'Official' advice has changed over the years and I doubt whether that will be the last word on the subject.

I think that the jury is still out on supplements such as the omega oils and Glucosamine/Chondritin. A lady in my walking group swears that they help her joints. Even if it is placebo effect, does it really matter as long as it works?
Brexit Bar:

Rhiannon

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
There are studies - reported on the NHS' own website - linking high levels of Omega 3 to prostate cancer. Why that should be I have no idea.

I take a good quality multivitamin in the winter.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »
There are studies - reported on the NHS' own website - linking high levels of Omega 3 to prostate cancer. Why that should be I have no idea.

I take a good quality multivitamin in the winter.

With respect, I'll go along with what the Consultant told me this week.

BTW,  how do you know what a "good quality multivitamin" is?
BA.