Author Topic: Why Has The Killing Of A Lion Spawned Widespread Outrage?  (Read 26828 times)

Leonard James

Re: Why Has The Killing Of A Lion Spawned Widespread Outrage?
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
Nature and evolution know nothing of morality. Humans and a few other social species have invented a code to live by for their own good. That's all it is.

Indeed. I don't know how true this was, but the film "Creation", about Charles Darwin's personal journey to the publication of "On the Origin of Species", suggests that it was seeing the inherent cruelty of nature that caused Darwin to reject the idea of an all-knowing, loving God.

And I followed in his footsteps without knowing it. One of the main reasons I lost my faith was the cruelty of the prey predator system. It is a direct contradiction to a god of love.

Shaker

« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2015, 05:21:49 PM »
Nature and evolution know nothing of morality. Humans and a few other social species have invented a code to live by for their own good. That's all it is.

Indeed. I don't know how true this was, but the film "Creation", about Charles Darwin's personal journey to the publication of "On the Origin of Species", suggests that it was seeing the inherent cruelty of nature that caused Darwin to reject the idea of an all-knowing, loving God.
That was no doubt a part of the process, a brick in the wall,  but a much larger one - arguably the dominant one - was the death of his beloved daughter Annie, perhaps the favourite among his children. (Parents are not supposed to have them, but often do). That said, even this set the seal on a process already long underway.

Dreadful film by the way. If the real Emma Darwin was a much of a joyless, charmless, miserable, wittering baggage as Jennifer Connelly portrayed her, he should have taken a claw hammer to the back of her head, buried her under the patio and received a large medal, a carriage clock and a free pen for doing so.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:25:56 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
Sounds like Shaker's yard should be dug up.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:03 AM »

I wonder what has happened to the lion's body?  Is the vile Palmer still intending to take the head as a trophy?
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Sassy

« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:24 AM »
Can someone please explain to me the uproar over the killing of Cecil the lion by an American hunter in Zimbabwe a couple days ago.

I really don't get it...

What a very SAD person you are! :o

He is honest enough to admit he doesn't get it... but you are not when it comes to admitting you do not understand the bible....

Does that make you SAD too by your own evaluation of his situation?

An endangered species ... maybe Keith did not know Lions are an endangered species so that is the reality...

But he will never remain ignorant because he asked. Whilst you just constantly claim to have read the bible but show absolutely no evidence in your post of having done so.... ::)

Anybody who claims to "understand" the Bible is deluded.

An opinion based only on the fact you don't want it to be true.
God opened the eyes and minds of the Apostles and every person born of the Spirit now knows the truth and the purpose of the bible in bringing that truth. Maybe one day you will see that the truth is not an attack but it does cause those who fear it to speak out about it. Do you think it is a coincidence that as an ex believer you have never been away from discussing whilst using the internet.

Thousands of people all over the world have believed the same thing, all claim to have been guided by the Holy Spirit, and all with different interpretations.

But not everyone who calls Jesus Lord and does miracles actually knows Jesus do they/
No different interpretations... just people born of Spirit and Truth where Gods word is within them and those who live according to the truths of Gods words... I will let you figure that one out....

Your "understanding", Sass, is no more valid than there's is.

In truth, you are not in a position to know that.... :)
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Leonard James

« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
Can someone please explain to me the uproar over the killing of Cecil the lion by an American hunter in Zimbabwe a couple days ago.

I really don't get it...

What a very SAD person you are! :o

He is honest enough to admit he doesn't get it... but you are not when it comes to admitting you do not understand the bible....

Does that make you SAD too by your own evaluation of his situation?

An endangered species ... maybe Keith did not know Lions are an endangered species so that is the reality...

But he will never remain ignorant because he asked. Whilst you just constantly claim to have read the bible but show absolutely no evidence in your post of having done so.... ::)

Anybody who claims to "understand" the Bible is deluded.

An opinion based only on the fact you don't want it to be true.
God opened the eyes and minds of the Apostles and every person born of the Spirit now knows the truth and the purpose of the bible in bringing that truth. Maybe one day you will see that the truth is not an attack but it does cause those who fear it to speak out about it. Do you think it is a coincidence that as an ex believer you have never been away from discussing whilst using the internet.

Thousands of people all over the world have believed the same thing, all claim to have been guided by the Holy Spirit, and all with different interpretations.

But not everyone who calls Jesus Lord and does miracles actually knows Jesus do they/
No different interpretations... just people born of Spirit and Truth where Gods word is within them and those who live according to the truths of Gods words... I will let you figure that one out....

Your "understanding", Sass, is no more valid than there's is.

In truth, you are not in a position to know that.... :)

I am in a better position than you are! My brain is unfettered by silly ideas.  :)

Rhiannon

« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »

I wonder what has happened to the lion's body?  Is the vile Palmer still intending to take the head as a trophy?

I'd like to see him try. The lion had to be euthanised later by (I believe) the people involved in studying him as Palmer's arrow didn't kill him outright. I assume they still have care of his body.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2015, 08:04:48 AM »

I'd like to see him try. The lion had to be euthanised later by (I believe) the people involved in studying him as Palmer's arrow didn't kill him outright. I assume they still have care of his body.

I thought that the lion's head had been cut off and its body skinned.

It would have been left for hyenas, vultures and other scavengers to finish off.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Rhiannon

« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »

It would have been left for hyenas, vultures and other scavengers to finish off.

By whom?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »

I thought the hunters went back, tracked him down and shot him with a gun.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »

By whom?

By the hunters

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33699484/what-we-know-about-cecil-the-lion-and-how-his-killing-could-affect-his-pride

The wounded lion was found 40 hours later and had been shot dead with a gun.
The lion, which was being studied by researchers at Oxford University, was then skinned and beheaded.
Attempts were made to destroy its collar, which was fitted with a tracking device.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »
It's not really that important.  If I had known about the 23 week thing, I would have used an example of a 23 and a bit week foetus (which it is legal to abort in the UK). 

I am not arguing "we abort foetuses in distress therefore it is OK to eat bacon sandwiches" at all here.   In fact, I'm not necessarily arguing against Shaker, I am just trying to point out that things are not as black and white as he has been saying.
Conversely, I think that things are not nearly as complicated as some people want to make out  :)

Cards on the table, I think Shaker is probably right. On the principle of least harm, I don't need to eat bacon sandwiches, but they're so nice. Fortunately, I'm an evil atheist, so morals aren't a problem.
Well JP; on the principle of least harm, do the least harm and give up not only the bacon butties but eating anything that had eyes/parents/a face/other vegetarian cliche. Even if you're not a utilitarian. Challenge yourself to give it a fair and honest go for, let us say, one calendar month, and see just how easy and enjoyable it is. Remember that the full panoply of the modern supermarket system and a World Wide Web full of recipes is all yours - you're no more into self-denial and mortification of the flesh than I am.

Better yet: enjoy probably the single greatest benefit, which is to know that you're involved in that rare thing in this world: something wholly, entirely and unambiguously good.

I dare you  :D If you find yourself wobbling, think to yourself: primum non nocere. I'm not, never have been and am exceedingly unlikely ever to be a Hindu, Buddhist or Jain (some good ethics; some excellent practices - vegetarianism and meditation for example; a lot of wibbly bibbly baggage - I'd sooner take the good stuff without the wibble, which is entirely possible, so I do) but I have to say that without realising it many years ago I adopted, as the older I get the more conscious and explicit it becomes for me, the concept of ahimsa central to these three religions, which is to say, non-violence. It's not necessary to intellectualise it, although I personally do so as that just happens to be my way, my thing, my bag. The simple point is that when it comes to sentience - the capacity to suffer or not to suffer, the ability to enjoy and not enjoy, the capability of having interests and preferences in this state of affairs (pleasant, or at least neutral) and not that one (unpleasant) - we're all as one and we should recognise that fact. Me, you, cow, sheep, pig, fish; we're all on the same plane in shunning suffering (pain; fear; anxiety) and in pursuing life and happiness.

So: over to you  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:25:29 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
No jeremy, ignore Shakey. Eat meat, your parents are or were meat eaters, as was theirs and so on. Buy seal products, the Inuit are not fools, they know what's good for them and what has kept their people healthy for thousands of years.
Shaker is no authority on being healthy, mind nor body.

from the being watched. In strict confidence be damned. 

Rhiannon

« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »

By whom?

By the hunters

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33699484/what-we-know-about-cecil-the-lion-and-how-his-killing-could-affect-his-pride

The wounded lion was found 40 hours later and had been shot dead with a gun.
The lion, which was being studied by researchers at Oxford University, was then skinned and beheaded.
Attempts were made to destroy its collar, which was fitted with a tracking device.

OIC.

Bunch of fuckwits.  >:(

Gonnagle

« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
Dear Forum,

Am l wrong, the man wrestles daily with our Bashers, his hero is/was probably the most outspoken anti theist I have come across, Hitchen, but reading his last post, he is as religious as I am!!

Sure! No God is involved but his last post, that is a come and join us post, we are the chosen few.

Oan yerself Shaker, you have certainly got my grey cells firing, thank you.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Rhiannon

« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
Gonners, I became a vegetarian because of my Christian beliefs. It was and remains an integral part of my spirituality.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
Yes, there's plenty of Christian and Jewish vegetarians, some reading Genesis as confirming that humans were intended to be vegetarians.

Early Hindus were not vegetarian and many aren't today, it was something that grew with the level of empathy in society, along with the ability to manage without unnecessary killing.

JC, as you say, hunting has kept the Inuit healthy for thousands of years. They are perfectly adapted to meat only diets. No one has told them not to hunt or eat meat. However they have been hooked by crap western food, TV and drugs, no longer knowing how to live off a land that is now melting away.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Gonnagle

« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2015, 10:29:14 AM »
Dear Rhiannon,

Well I am certainly thinking about Shakers challenge but my freezer is full of meat at the moment and I am Scottish :(

And I do understand where you are coming from, I can see vegetarianism as a form of spiritual growth, as Udayana has hinted, the first people mentioned in the Bible were vegetarian, food for thought, no pun intended.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Rhiannon

« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »
I know some go straight from eating meat to not, but from experience I found doing it gradually worked best - first red meat went, then poultry, then fish.

I don't know about it being a 'spiritual growth' thing. I saw - see - meat eating as poor stewardship.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
Dear Forum,

Am l wrong, the man wrestles daily with our Bashers, his hero is/was probably the most outspoken anti theist I have come across, Hitchen, but reading his last post, he is as religious as I am!!

Sure! No God is involved but his last post, that is a come and join us post, we are the chosen few.

Oan yerself Shaker, you have certainly got my grey cells firing, thank you.

Gonnagle.

I do suspect, and have said as such in the past, that these extreme anti-theists are actually seeking desperately to be convinced by what religion has to offer, but find themselves in the throes of a doubt that they cannot quite resolve.

As to Hitchens:  he was a sad and vicious, alcohol-fueled, man with serious psychological problems. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:00:05 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

floo

« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
It takes one to know one, as they say! ::)

Shaker

« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
I do suspect, and have said as such in the past, that these extreme anti-theists are actually seeking desperately to be convinced by what religion has to offer, but find themselves in the throes of a doubt that they caaot quite resolve.
Your suspicion is, of course, quite false. The problem with this sort of bargain-bucket Freudianism is that to be consistent (and not just bitching against people who challenge and criticise your beliefs), you are committed to saying that people who fight animal cruelty secretly hate animals, that anti-racism campaigners are closet racists and that staunch Tories are actually die-hard admirers of socialist politics.

Psychology fail.

As to Hitchens:  he was a sad and vicious, alcohol-fueled, man with serious psychological problems.
There was nothing sad about him - he was certainly vicious: that was one of the most entertaining things about him.

What were his psychological problems and since when have you been qualified to diagnose them?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »
I do suspect, and have said as such in the past, that these extreme anti-theists are actually seeking desperately to be convinced by what religion has to offer, but find themselves in the throes of a doubt that they caaot quite resolve.
Your suspicion is, of course, quite false. The problem with this sort of bargain-bucket Freudianism is that to be consistent (and not just bitching against people who challenge and criticise your beliefs), you are committed to saying that people who fight animal cruelty secretly hate animals, that anti-racism campaigners are closet racists and that staunch Tories are actually die-hard admirers of socialist politics.

Psychology fail.

There was nothing sad about him - he was certainly vicious: that was one of the most entertaining things about him.

What were his psychological problems and since when have you been qualified to diagnose them?

Like many on here, he was obsessive, and it doesn't take an expert to spot that. And since when are you qualified to dispute it?

As to his being vicious, then I am not surprised you find that endearing, since you are vicious yourself,  no doubt based on his unpleasant example.
BA.

floo

« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2015, 03:44:31 PM »
Oh the irony! ::)