Author Topic: Very interesting on BBC 4 about straight gay marrige.  (Read 4192 times)

ippy

Very interesting on BBC 4 about straight gay marrige.
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
I had the radio on today Sat 1-8-15, to help negate the boredom of having to do some painting, love jabber jabber on the radio, I tune my lug-holes in and out depending if it's of interest to me or not.

This BBC 4 Program on at 1530 for about 25 minutes was about a woman that without realizing it had married this gay chap and as she went further into the complications of her marriage, I found, other than the obvious, the legalities involved as well as the rest of it were very surprising to me; a good listen.

ippy

Harrowby Hall

Re: Very interesting on BBC 4 about straight gay marrige.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
I had the radio on today Sat 1-8-15, to help negate the boredom of having to do some painting, love jabber jabber on the radio, I tune my lug-holes in and out depending if it's of interest to me or not.

This BBC 4 Program on at 1530 for about 25 minutes was about a woman that without realizing it had married this gay chap and as she went further into the complications of her marriage, I found, other than the obvious, the legalities involved as well as the rest of it were very surprising to me; a good listen.

ippy

Yes, fascinating. She has found that her husband has had loads of gay relationships on the side but finds that this is not "adultery" because English law defines adultery specifically as involving a married man's penis in the vagina of some one who is not his wife.

Since in gay male relationships no vagina is involved there is no adultery.

The programme was iPM (R4, Saturday, 1730) can be found on iPlayer.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:04:45 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »
She has found that her husband has had loads of gay relationships on the side but finds that this is not "adultery" because English law defines adultery specifically as involving a married man's penis in the vagina of some one who is not his wife.

I wonder whether the gay community will look to have this definition changed in law so as to take the new definitions of marriage, husband and wife into account?   ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Do people still need to prove adultery to be granted a divorce?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »
No.  Adultery is now only one of several legally acceptable causes for divorce.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:05:55 PM »
You can get a divorce for any reason you can come up with. Some time back there was a news clip about a woman who filed for divorce because her husbands penis was too big. Of all the reasons she could make up, she had to go for penis size. Whatever!

floo

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »
I think one should try to make one's marriage work, but if neither partner is happy, for whatever reason, then it is far better to divorce.  I wished my parents had divorced as they never got on!

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »
Some couples are quite happy in a barking relationship . An elderly couple (he just passed away a couple weeks ago at 89) that I like very much, were always barking at each other. He was blind and she hard of hearing. Many times I would stand up and tell them I was leaving if they didn't stop the bickering. I even told them I was bringing a referee whistle with me next time I was over. They got a great kick out of me chastising them. But they truly loved each other and the barking at each other was to do with the sight and the hearing and being together for 60 years. (smilies) The family is very loving, all hugs and kisses all around when they walk in the door. YUCK! Love me from a distance, thank you kindly.

ippy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »

ippy

Yes, fascinating. She has found that her husband has had loads of gay relationships on the side but finds that this is not "adultery" because English law defines adultery specifically as involving a married man's penis in the vagina of some one who is not his wife.

Yes H H, it was full of surprises and equal should, I suppose, mean equal, I wonder if and how the law will manage to catch up with this kind of changing landscape.

Whatever happens with the legalities of this aspect of human life it'll certainly be interesting.   

ippy

ippy

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »
You can get a divorce for any reason you can come up with. Some time back there was a news clip about a woman who filed for divorce because her husbands penis was too big. Of all the reasons she could make up, she had to go for penis size. Whatever!

Can't help it Woody this divorce case is very funny, I'll bet he got carried out on the shoulders of quit a few admirers, with one of the most arrogant looks possible on his face.

I wonder if there were any straight faces in that court when his case was going through, it's hilarious.

ippy 

cyberman

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:43:56 PM »
No.  Adultery is now only one of several legally acceptable causes for divorce.

Absolutely. She could very easily file for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour if it could be shown that he was shagging blokes.

Rhiannon

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 08:17:59 PM »
You can see the absurdity of it. In criminal law we Casper that men can be raised and women can rape now - it's not just about anatomy. But yes, if she just wants rid of him then no judge will argue against a claim of unreasonable behaviour.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:11:31 PM »
This is all speculation.

The radio programme is available on iPlayer - the woman does state her case. Why not listen to it before rushing to judgement? I heard the original programme but cannot remember all the legal details.

I would listen to it again but cannot - because the BBC restricts iPlayer to within the geographic constraints of the British Isles.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:19:30 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Rhiannon

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
You can see the absurdity of it. In criminal law we Casper that men can be raised and women can rape now - it's not just about anatomy. But yes, if she just wants rid of him then no judge will argue against a claim of unreasonable behaviour.

Casper ?  Who's Casper?

Autocomplete?

:o

Yes, a lovely combination of posting on an iPhone with autocomplete/autocorrect.

Thanks, Apple!

It should be 'we accept'. It should also read 'men can be raped'.

ippy

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »

Casper ?  Who's Casper?

Autocomplete?

:o

Yes, a lovely combination of posting on an iPhone with autocomplete/autocorrect.

Thanks, Apple!

It should be 'we accept'. It should also read 'men can be raped'.

That BBC Radio 4 is an absolute gem, I listen to it whenever I can.

ippy

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »

ippy

"I had the radio on today,"   I'm sure it suited you:  a load of noise, with nobody paying much attention!    ;D ;D

BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
By the time I'd worked out which programme ippy was on about, I couldn't be bothered to listen to it.

Why post links without summarizing the issue or main points? Bad enough for text, but certainly for programmes or videos where much more time is needed to listen/view them.

Rhiannon

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
This from the Beeb summarises the issue I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33718943

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
Just goes to show "the law is an ass", as ever.