Author Topic: The Bishop of Dover  (Read 11365 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: The Bishop of Dover
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 12:21:39 PM »
We invest significantly more than these places in health- and social-care for our elderly, ...
That latter is questionable.  Many families in the developing and even the 'less-developed' developed world invest far more in terms of time and money into their elderly.  In some cases, that involves living in extended family units where children and grand-children are looked after by the elderly, and look after them in return. 

...we have no more family breakdown issues than these places, we simply have people with the personal freedom to escape bad situations so they aren't stuck in these mockeries of family life, and we aren't lumped with the same levels of institutional corruption, societal superstition and subjugatory ideas like 'honour killings'.
along with the fact that often, these negative factors that you refer to have, never existed in the first place, where families work together to support each other and rely on each other to live. 

Our culture is cleaner, freer, more open, more tolerant, more accepting and fairer than pretty much any of theirs, as is evidenced by the disparity in the number of them trying to get here to live compared to the number of people here trying to get there to live.
Is that why so many of our elderly 'ship' themselves out to the Med, to the Caribbean, to India, etc. to live out their last years. 

O, you seem to have a very jaundiced view of life here in the West.  I'm not saying that life in other, less-developed countries is necessarily better than here; what I am saying is that the two aren't reasonably comparable.  We, in the West, lack important support systems that others have; they lack important support systems that we have.  To a certain degree, those support systems are symptomatic of the nature of society.  For instance, heart disease has a low incidence in many developing countries, whilst it is high here in the West; conversely, malaria has a high incidence in many developing countries and a low one here.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
Why?
Because you, like others here, are prone to generalisations comparable to that which you are accusing Wiggs of.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
Why?
Because you, like others here, are prone to generalisations comparable to that which you are accusing Wiggs of.

Could you point me to one?

I'm not saying I don't make generalisations - but I do try to be careful about what I post so that I do take into account peoples feelings around their beliefs.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:26:41 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
If I had the time, I could probably find several, Trent, but I'm not minded to waste my time on such a process, just to satisfy your uncertainty over your posting record.

Gonnagle

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2015, 12:30:53 PM »
Dear Trent and Jakswan,

My my!! You atheists are such a touchy lot, do me and the Wigs a favour, loosen yer corsets and stays  :-*

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Outrider

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
We invest significantly more than these places in health- and social-care for our elderly, ...
That latter is questionable.  Many families in the developing and even the 'less-developed' developed world invest far more in terms of time and money into their elderly.  In some cases, that involves living in extended family units where children and grand-children are looked after by the elderly, and look after them in return.

They invest time instead of money, perhaps, but less of it given that their life expectancy is considerably shorter, and compelling children and grand-children to be care-workers is not 'family life' it's slave-labour. People being stuck in cramped living spaces because they do not have the financial wherewithal or infrastructure to move out of a communal home is also not 'improved family life', it's a slum. 

...we have no more family breakdown issues than these places, we simply have people with the personal freedom to escape bad situations so they aren't stuck in these mockeries of family life, and we aren't lumped with the same levels of institutional corruption, societal superstition and subjugatory ideas like 'honour killings'.
along with the fact that often, these negative factors that you refer to have, never existed in the first place, where families work together to support each other and rely on each other to live.

Are you talking pre-industrial communities here? I'd question whether ideas like 'honour killings' did or didn't happen, but the sheer abject lack of education, health-care and personal autonomy would make that an horrendous way to live.

If you're talking places like sub-Saharan Africa or rural India then I'm afraid I just frankly disagree with your assessment of the reality.

Our culture is cleaner, freer, more open, more tolerant, more accepting and fairer than pretty much any of theirs, as is evidenced by the disparity in the number of them trying to get here to live compared to the number of people here trying to get there to live.
Is that why so many of our elderly 'ship' themselves out to the Med, to the Caribbean, to India, etc. to live out their last years.

The Meditarranean - you'll note they ship themselves out to other Western-style democracies on the North coast of the Med, rather than the North African places. Similar, advanced cultures. The Caribbean, built primarily along the same cultural lines, when they go to India it's typically to the suburban, Western-influenced areas.

Should I bother making my point when you make it for me?

O, you seem to have a very jaundiced view of life here in the West.  I'm not saying that life in other, less-developed countries is necessarily better than here; what I am saying is that the two aren't reasonably comparable.  We, in the West, lack important support systems that others have; they lack important support systems that we have.  To a certain degree, those support systems are symptomatic of the nature of society.  For instance, heart disease has a low incidence in many developing countries, whilst it is high here in the West; conversely, malaria has a high incidence in many developing countries and a low one here.

Heart disease is high in the west partly - only partly - because we have a richer (more enjoyable, some might say) diet, but primarily because other things that would kill people before heart disease had a chance to manifest just don't kick in. The same is true for cancer and other progressive, degenerative illnesses. The personal freedom that we value has supported an economic system that means we care for our disabled as a community - not leaving individuals to struggle with their own families in a system that doesn't give them capacity to do it.

A major part of our ability to do this is the fact that, during the Renaissance and early Industrial era our societies developed in areas that were geographically rich in resources, so the spare capacity was there to do it. Modern developments in transport, communications infrastructure and agricultural and manufacturing technology mean that these ideas could spread, easily, but we lack the will to spread them to people who lack the control of their own destiny to demand them.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
If I had the time, I could probably find several, Trent, but I'm not minded to waste my time on such a process, just to satisfy your uncertainty over your posting record.

Ah so you aren't willing to back up your assertion with any proof. I think your  antipathy towards me is skewing your view of what I post.

Only last week I objected to one of Len's  (an atheist you know) threads - in that I felt he was unfairly representing Catholic Parents - this week I have remarked on Wiggs doing a similar thing with atheists.

So I would appreciate you taking the time to point to somewhere showing me making generalisations over a serious matter - or you can withdraw the remark.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:27:11 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
Dear Trent and Jakswan,

My my!! You atheists are such a touchy lot, do me and the Wigs a favour, loosen yer corsets and stays  :-*

Gonnagle.

Gonners see my reply to Hope for my reasons. I'm sick of being misrepresented on the basis of what some other Atheists post. Just as I'm sure Cyberman or you or any other Christian would hate me to judge them on something another individual Christian had posted.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
Dear Trent and Jakswan,

Gonnagle.

I know its hard for you to be serious but prejudice against a group of people based on their belief system is I think wrong. At least you are not being hypocritical though so have a small pat on the back.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Leonard James

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
Dear Trent and Jakswan,

Gonnagle.

Gonners see my reply to Hope for my reasons. I'm sick of being misrepresented on the basis of what some other Atheists post. Just as I'm sure Cyberman or you or any other Christian would hate me to judge them on something another individual Christian had posted.

There are some bad apples in every barrel, no matter how they kid themselves there ain't!  :)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
Only last week I objected to one of Len's  (an atheist you know) threads - in that I felt he was unfairly representing Catholic Parents - this week I have remarked on Wiggs doing a similar thing with atheists.
I'm fully aware that you objected to Len's post, but there have been occasions where you (and probably everyone else here) have generalised about other posters.  I think the thing that got me annoyed about your response to Wiggs post is that it was so clearly meant to be sarcastic.

So I would appreciate you taking the time to point to somewhere showing me making generalisations over a serious matter - or you can withdraw the remark.
No, I am not going to prod around the forum to find something to smooth your ruffled feathers; if you won't or can't accept that you sometimes do exactly the same as that which you were challenging Wiggs on, then I feel sorry for you.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
No, I am not going to prod around the forum to find something to smooth your ruffled feathers; if you won't or can't accept that you sometimes do exactly the same as that which you were challenging Wiggs on, then I feel sorry for you.

Making assertions without being able to back up with evidence is your defining posting style Hopalong.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
I'm fully aware that you objected to Len's post, but there have been occasions where you (and probably everyone else here) have generalised about other posters.  I think the thing that got me annoyed about your response to Wiggs post is that it was so clearly meant to be sarcastic.

How often does it take for you to post unjustified claims and accusations to even feel the slightest ashamed?

SusanDoris

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
Well said, Outrider, Trent and NS.

The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »

In what way is this sarcastic:

"Please don't sink to the level of some other Christian posters on here and tar all atheists with the same brush Wiggs."

My feathers aren't ruffled at all - but someting has clearly upset you. (btw how would finding proof I did this smooth my ruffled feathers??)

You are unwilling to provide proof that I generalise in the same way as the examples given.

Yet you are sure I do.

I see.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 01:59:18 PM »
I think that Hope was stating that Wigginhall's post was sarcastic rather than your's, trentvoyager. And that therefore its generalisation was not to be noted, for some reason.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
Aanyway in an attempt to get this back on track I'd like to state that I do think that some Bishops are as able to comment on this as anybody else is - and that they very often bring a different quality and perspective to the debate that is lacking when the usual politicians run with these issues, and furthermore (strangely enough)their thoughts on these social issues very oftne chime with my own.

That is because they are all left wing do-gooders (there a little bit of a generalisation for Hope so he doesn't have to search for some anywhere else) no doubt.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
I think that Hope was stating that Wigginhall's post was sarcastic rather than your's, trentvoyager. And that therefore its generalisation was not to be noted, for some reason.

Oh I didn't read Wiggs post as sarcastic and as he posted a similar thought twice he was clearly upset by the comments by SD - and it seemed out of character for Wiggs.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
That is because they are all left wing do-gooders ... no doubt.
Probably more likely because they are Christians - though in the case of some bishops I've had dealings with, even that would be a generalisation!!

Spud

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:34 AM »
Just heard again the Bishop of Dover being quoted. He said something about we should 'redisccover our humanity'. Well, excuse me for sounding just a bit cynical here, but anyone know what he has done personally to help improve the situation? Has he offered to take one of the economic migrants into his home? Personally, I have no idea what the solution is, but I don't think platitudes are much use.

I think I agree. If these people are fleeing persecution or a hard life, they are safe in France- which has more room to accomodate them anyway- it doesn't make sense to criticize Cameron's use of the word "swarm".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:27:07 AM by Spud »

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Just heard again the Bishop of Dover being quoted. He said something about we should 'redisccover our humanity'. Well, excuse me for sounding just a bit cynical here, but anyone know what he has done personally to help improve the situation? Has he offered to take one of the economic migrants into his home? Personally, I have no idea what the solution is, but I don't think platitudes are much use.

I think I agree. If these people are fleeing persecution or a hard life, they are safe in France- which has more room to accomodate them anyway- it doesn't make sense to criticize Cameron's use of the word "swarm".

I find it amazing how a certain section of the media go on about how terrible it is for these people who are desperately seeking a a safe haven - I was in France last week and generally it seems quite safe .
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste