Author Topic: Cilla: RIP  (Read 3292 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Cilla: RIP
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
Can't say I was her greatest fan, but saddened to see this on the frontpage of the BBC website when I logged in a minute or two ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33751060
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Cilla: RIP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
Oh, heck/......
I thought she had a great voice back in the day.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Gonnagle

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
Dear Hope,

A true British icon :-*

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

SusanDoris

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
Well, I am sorry to hear that - only 72. She always seemed to be firmly grounded and not carried away by flattery.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

wigginhall

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
Big shock.  Saw the brilliant biopic of her, with Sheridan Smith, which brought back all the tunes and the times.  Hard to absorb. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
She was never the greatest singer of her time, she was never, really, the greatest anything, but whatever she did she did well.

Travel well Cilla.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ippy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:32:08 PM »
A truly lovely person.

ippy

trippymonkey

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:50:51 PM »
Just watched her on a vintage edition of Morecambe & Wise back end of last week. SUPERB & genuinely up for a laugh?!!?!? A LORRA LORRA LAFFS ?!!?!?

Nick

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 06:20:19 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33938087

"Cilla Black 'house burglary plot foiled by police'"

I wonder whether this had been planned before she died or whether it was an opportunistic attempt?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
She was never the greatest singer of her time, she was never, really, the greatest anything, but whatever she did she did well.

Travel well Cilla.

Having watched the tribute to her on BBC4 last night which was mainly performances from the 60's and early 70's she was actually a much better singer than I remembered. She may not have been the greatest as that honour is held imho by Dusty but she was certainly premier league in pop music terms.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
Just after her death was announced my dad walked down to the shops to buy his papers and found an old chap sobbing in the street. My dad stopped to ask if he was ok and the man just said, 'Cilla Black's died'.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »

Having watched the tribute to her on BBC4 last night which was mainly performances from the 60's and early 70's she was actually a much better singer than I remembered. She may not have been the greatest as that honour is held imho by Dusty but she was certainly premier league in pop music terms.
I agree about Dusty, as I know does Gordon. And I also agree with this about Cilla. Anyone who can sing a Burt Bacharach song as well as she did has something special. She had a naivete of tone, that sold the sincerity of lyrics.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »
Just after her death was announced my dad walked down to the shops to buy his papers and found an old chap sobbing in the street. My dad stopped to ask if he was ok and the man just said, 'Cilla Black's died'.
That has really brought a tear to the eye for me.

wigginhall

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
Me too.  We were really shocked by her death, she's one of those figures from my adolescence, forever written into the story.   Her voice had an artless quality that was very nice, and a hint of scouse.

I remember when Elvis died, I was in a daze.   How could he?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Rhiannon

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
For me Cilla was Saturday night with Blind Date before my real date turned up, or Sunday night with Surprise, Surprise and doing my hair.