Author Topic: Sick wickedness of Catholic parents.  (Read 25216 times)

Leonard James

Sick wickedness of Catholic parents.
« on: August 05, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »

Shaker

Re: Sick wickedness of Catholic parents.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
There's a famous Steven Weinberg quote about that ...  >:(
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »

Indeed, and he was right! Religion makes good people do evil things.

floo

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
Very SICK indeed! >:(

Owlswing

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
http://www.queerty.com/scared-christian-mom-asks-how-to-keep-her-gay-teen-son-pure-internet-tears-her-a-new-one-instead-20150804

How can religion cause parents to be so heartless in the treatment of their children?

American Christianity is NOT, I am extremely glad to say, not British Christianity - however, there are those in the UK who do believe like this and, I am convinced, might well act like this.

Suffer the little children - if they are gay they sure as Hell are going to suffer at the hands of parents like these.

The Christian God is a God of Love - not in about 90% of the US he aint!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 01:54:16 PM »

Indeed, and he was right! Religion makes good people do evil things.
No. It merely takes an ideology.

floo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
The American version of Christianity appears to be very nasty indeed. Many of those sick extremists seem to drool at the prospect of unbelievers burning in hell forever and ever. Of course we have some of those evil nutters over here, but fortunately for the UK they are recognised as such and don't have any political clout as they do in the USofA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
There isn't really any such thing as an American version of Christianity

floo

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »

Really?

Rhiannon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:04:12 PM »
The 'purity' movement is big Stateside though, and straight teens are under just as much pressure to 'stay pure'.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »

Really?

Yep, really. Or are you suggesting there is a specific Christian Church in the States to which all U.S. Christians belong and which they all agree with?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
I'd just like to protest at the title as "Catholic parents" is misleading and unfair to a large number of decent Catholics.

How do I know this?

My partners family are Catholics. I'm not saying they didn't struggle with the issue at first - but they are now just as accepting as my largely agnostic family are. I feel sure this applies to many, many Catholics worldwide; who despite the teachings of their Church use birth control, accept gay people for who they are and are generally just quite nice ordinary/extra ordinary human beings.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »
I'd just like to protest at the title as "Catholic parents" is misleading and unfair to a large number of decent Catholics.

How do I know this?

My partners family are Catholics. I'm not saying they didn't struggle with the issue at first - but they are now just as accepting as my largely agnostic family are. I feel sure this applies to many, many Catholics worldwide; who despite the teachings of their Church use birth control, accept gay people for who they are and are generally just quite nice ordinary/extra ordinary human beings.

Outstanding post.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »
The 'purity' movement is big Stateside though, and straight teens are under just as much pressure to 'stay pure'.

The actions described in the link though are specifically taken by the family to deal with same sex attraction. They are not being taken out of a general concern for purity, so for the individual affected, that other parents may treat their het kids similarly isn't really useful.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
As so often I agree with trentvoyager, this simplistic portrayal of Catholics or 'American Christians' as if they are all the same is a vacuous generalisation which ironically mirrors the issue it seeks to condemn.

Disagree with individuals and make the argument against them but there is a mephitic hogo of totalitarianism in such posts or indeed, Leonard's one yesterday stating that anyone who is a creationist should not be allowed to be a teacher.

floo

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »

Really?

Yep, really. Or are you suggesting there is a specific Christian Church in the States to which all U.S. Christians belong and which they all agree with?

I am saying that many of those claiming to be 'Christians' in that flipping country seem to be very extreme in their views.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »

Really?

I am saying that many of those claiming to be 'Christians' in that flipping country seem to be very extreme in their views.

Which does not amount to any such thing as an American version of Christianity

floo

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »

Really?

That is your opinion, not mine!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »

Really?

That's the same the world over Floo. But they aren't  representative of the US population anymore than Jimmy Saville is representative of the UK population. You have to remember that we only see the extremes, its the way our media work. You don't get a balanced picture -  it is distorted by the need to make a headline out of something, anything.

I mean look at our papers today - apparently Zayn Malik is very important because of something he has done. Would you wish the people of the Uk to be judged by those standards?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 02:30:20 PM »

If you follow the links to the responses to the original post, you'll see many of the responses are from Catholics (some gay) and they are universally critical (or stronger) of the original post, so the title of this thread should more accurately be

"Sick wickedness of two Catholic parents"
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »

Really?

That is your opinion, not mine!

Yes, but your opinion in this case is demonstrably wrong. There is no American Church to which all US Christians belong. There is a huge spread of opinion between US Christians. There is no view that is unique to US Christians and not held by those from other countries.

You are as everyone is entitled to your own opinions just not your own facts, and factually you are wrong.

floo

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »

Really?

That's the same the world over Floo. But they aren't  representative of the US population anymore than Jimmy Saville is representative of the UK population. You have to remember that we only see the extremes, its the way our media work. You don't get a balanced picture -  it is distorted by the need to make a headline out of something, anything.

I mean look at our papers today - apparently Zayn Malik is very important because of something he has done. Would you wish the people of the Uk to be judged by those standards?

I agree we see the extremes, but the worrying thing is that these extremes filter into their politics unlike in the UK.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »

Really?

I agree we see the extremes, but the worrying thing is that these extremes filter into their politics unlike in the UK.

And again simply wrong factually. Having spent some time trying to ensure that one member of the Scottish Parliament's bid to get creationism giving special privilege, and campaigning against MSPs opposed to assisted dying because of their religion, your post is laughable and I don't even live in Northern Ireland

floo

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »

Really?

And again simply wrong factually. Having spent some time trying to ensure that one member of the Scottish Parliament's bid to get creationism giving special privilege, and campaigning against MSPs opposed to assisted dying because of their religion, your post is laughable and I don't even live in Northern Ireland

Sorry I forgot about Northern Ireland!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »

You have to ignore Floo:  she doesn't do facts.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."