Author Topic: A period of silence in Hiroshima?  (Read 1255 times)

ippy

A period of silence in Hiroshima?
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:32:19 PM »
I noticed the surviving buildings are now something to do with being a world heritage site.

Perhaps there should be some sort of world heritage site established in Myanmar perhaps titled as "The Burma Road Memorial Site", just to keep some sort of balance with all of the terrible things that were done by BOTH sides in that war.

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: A period of silence in Hiroshima?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »
I noticed the surviving buildings are now something to do with being a world heritage site.

Perhaps there should be some sort of world heritage site established in Myanmar perhaps titled as "The Burma Road Memorial Site", just to keep some sort of balance with all of the terrible things that were done by BOTH sides in that war.

ippy
I thought that there was already such a site - the Bridge over the River Kwai, or whatever its proper name is.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »

ippy

The Industrial Promotion Hall, an exhibition centre, had been built by a Czech architect using stone and structural steel was almost exactly below the point of the explosion (there is a small monument identifying the actual location in a street about 150m away).

The Hall was on the edge of Hiroshima's "entertainment" district. All buildings there were mainly of wood and paper construction. The wreck of the Promotion Hall is preserved in the state it was after the explosion and is a World Heritage Site.

The targer for the raid was an easily-identifiable T-shaped bridge next to the Promotion Hall. That the blast occurred just 300m or so from the target is a remarkable testament to the skill of the bomb aimer, considering the plane was close to 30,000 ft at the time of release.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ippy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »

ippy

It would also be a good thing if the Japanese in particular were to acknowledge and pay equally as much attention to the things done by them when the Burma road was in the process of being built.

ippy