Author Topic: Universe nodding off!  (Read 3805 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Universe nodding off!
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:27:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

Our universe is slowly fading away it seems.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33846857

A team of astronomers has published a multi-coloured survey of five chunks of space - and offered the best estimate yet of how fast the Universe is fading.

They analysed the light from 200,000 galaxies in 21 wavelengths and found that the energy output of the Universe has nearly halved in two billion years.

This agrees with previous calculations, confirming that the lights are slowly going out right across this spectrum.

The drop is largely due to the falling rate at which new stars are formed.

"The Universe will decline from here on in, like an old age that lasts forever," he said. "The Universe has basically sat down on the sofa, pulled up a blanket and is about to nod off for an eternal doze."

For information.

Sriram

~TW~

• home sweet home
Re: Universe nodding off!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
Precisely what the creator said would happen,you can read about this in scripture.  :)

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

Shaker

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
Whereabouts can we read this specifically, ~TW~?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
Completely coincidentally I read this article first thing this morning - fascinating stuff that star formation seems to be slowing down, especially in light (no pun intended) that the expansion of the universe appears to be speeding up rather than slowing down as expected, presumably driven by dark energy (a respectable placeholder for the even more respectable position of "We don't know yet - we're still looking into it and will get back to you").

This all implies that the scenario of the Big Freeze - an incredibly tenuous, diffuse, dark universe of astonishingly thinly-spread matter barely above absolute zero - will occur sooner than expected. Which is a bit of a pain in the arse as I had plans to go out on Thursday.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:18:46 AM »
Make sure you complete the satisfaction survey before you leave!
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

floo

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
Precisely what the creator said would happen,you can read about this in scripture.  :)

~TW~

Where?

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
 :) For those who have ask me to point them in the direction of what is understood to be De- Creation.We have it mentioned in many places Revelation,Matthew,and many old testament prophets.It has been mentioned in the topic the 1000 years.

Most of you as we know are not interested,and of course it really is very silly, is it not that  seems to be the main view.But I mentioned De-Creation a few days ago before this thread was started quite a coincidence.

~TW~

" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

floo

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
:) For those who have ask me to point them in the direction of what is understood to be De- Creation.We have it mentioned in many places Revelation,Matthew,and many old testament prophets.It has been mentioned in the topic the 1000 years.

Most of you as we know are not interested,and of course it really is very silly, is it not that  seems to be the main view.But I mentioned De-Creation a few days ago before this thread was started quite a coincidence.

~TW~

Which verse specifically mentions this topic, please quote it?

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
Make sure you complete the satisfaction survey before you leave!
It puts a new slant on "Please turns the lights off before leaving," that's for sure.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »
Completely coincidentally I read this article first thing this morning - fascinating stuff that star formation seems to be slowing down, especially in light (no pun intended) that the expansion of the universe appears to be speeding up rather than slowing down.
That's what I keep telling Mrs Vlad but she still insists on me dieting.

floo

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Completely coincidentally I read this article first thing this morning - fascinating stuff that star formation seems to be slowing down, especially in light (no pun intended) that the expansion of the universe appears to be speeding up rather than slowing down.
That's what I keep telling Mrs Vlad but she still insists on me dieting.

;D

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
Not mereley Revelations but Arthur C Clarke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God

Plot summary

This short story tells of a Tibetan lamasery whose monks seek to list all of the names of God, since they believe the Universe was created for this purpose, and that once this naming is completed, God will bring the Universe to an end. Three centuries ago, the monks created an alphabet in which they calculated they could encode all the possible names of God, numbering about 9,000,000,000 ("nine billion") and each having no more than nine characters. Writing the names out by hand, as they had been doing, even after eliminating various nonsense combinations, would take another 15,000 years; the monks wish to use modern technology to finish this task more quickly.

They rent a computer capable of printing all the possible permutations, and they hire two Westerners to install and program the machine. The computer operators are skeptical but play along. After three months, as the job nears completion, they fear that the monks will blame the computer, and by extension its operators, when nothing happens. The Westerners delay the operation of the computer so that it will complete its final print run just after their scheduled departure. After their successful departure on ponies, they pause on the mountain path on their way back to the airfield, where a plane is waiting to take them back to civilization. Under a clear night sky they estimate that it must be just about the time that the monks are pasting the final printed names into their holy books. Then they notice that "overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »

~TW~

I reckon He just keeps forgetting to put the shilling in the meter.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

Gonnagle

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
Dear Buddies, ( apparently it's a Paisley thing )

And on the Seventh Day he rested.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

ippy

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »
Not mereley Revelations but Arthur C Clarke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God

Plot summary

This short story tells of a Tibetan lamasery whose monks seek to list all of the names of God, since they believe the Universe was created for this purpose, and that once this naming is completed, God will bring the Universe to an end. Three centuries ago, the monks created an alphabet in which they calculated they could encode all the possible names of God, numbering about 9,000,000,000 ("nine billion") and each having no more than nine characters. Writing the names out by hand, as they had been doing, even after eliminating various nonsense combinations, would take another 15,000 years; the monks wish to use modern technology to finish this task more quickly.

They rent a computer capable of printing all the possible permutations, and they hire two Westerners to install and program the machine. The computer operators are skeptical but play along. After three months, as the job nears completion, they fear that the monks will blame the computer, and by extension its operators, when nothing happens. The Westerners delay the operation of the computer so that it will complete its final print run just after their scheduled departure. After their successful departure on ponies, they pause on the mountain path on their way back to the airfield, where a plane is waiting to take them back to civilization. Under a clear night sky they estimate that it must be just about the time that the monks are pasting the final printed names into their holy books. Then they notice that "overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."

72?

Curtsey D A.

ippy

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:20 AM »

Talking of scriptures...here is something about Hindu cosmology from wiki....

The Puranas[edit]

The later Puranic view asserts that the Universe is created, destroyed, and re-created in an eternally repetitive series of cycles.

In Hindu cosmology, a universe endures for about 4,320,000,000 years—one day/Kalpa of Brahma, the creator, and is then destroyed by fire or water elements. At this point, Brahma rests for one night, just as long as the day. This process, named Pralaya (Cataclysm), repeats for 100 Brahma years (311 trillion, 40 billion human years) that represents Brahma's lifespan. Brahma is the creator but not necessarily regarded as God in Hinduism because there are said to be many creations. Instead, he is regarded as a creation of the Supreme God or Brahman.

After Brahma's "death", it is necessary that another 100 Brahma years pass until he is reborn and the whole creation begins anew. This process is repeated again and again, forever.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:25:20 AM by Sriram »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
"Scriptures" or "stories"?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
"Scriptures" or "stories"?

Everything is just a story.  Even the Big Bang could be a laughable 'story' hundred years from today.

Shaker

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »
But not yet it ain't  ;)

ippy

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »

Talking of scriptures...here is something about Hindu cosmology from wiki....

The Puranas[edit]

The later Puranic view asserts that the Universe is created, destroyed, and re-created in an eternally repetitive series of cycles.

In Hindu cosmology, a universe endures for about 4,320,000,000 years—one day/Kalpa of Brahma, the creator, and is then destroyed by fire or water elements. At this point, Brahma rests for one night, just as long as the day. This process, named Pralaya (Cataclysm), repeats for 100 Brahma years (311 trillion, 40 billion human years) that represents Brahma's lifespan. Brahma is the creator but not necessarily regarded as God in Hinduism because there are said to be many creations. Instead, he is regarded as a creation of the Supreme God or Brahman.

After Brahma's "death", it is necessary that another 100 Brahma years pass until he is reborn and the whole creation begins anew. This process is repeated again and again, forever.

Key word "asserts".

ippy