Author Topic: Perseids: Meteor light show set to dazzle  (Read 5921 times)

Bubbles

Perseids: Meteor light show set to dazzle
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:37:55 PM by Rose »

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
Re: Perseids: Meteor light show set to dazzle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
Tonight!

Provided the clouds get out the way  : >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33850710

No moon either, so it's meant to be better.

The difficulty is escaping the glare of the city lights.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

floo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »
I hoped to see them last night as the sky was clear, but was unlucky. I have seen them, from time to time, in other years, though.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
I hoped to see them last night as the sky was clear, but was unlucky. I have seen them, from time to time, in other years, though.

That's because they are visible tonight not last night 😉

Really?
..from your link, if you care to read it.....

;) :D

The Perseid shower is active each year from around 17 July to 24 August, although for most of that period only a few meteors an hour are visible.

.....and.....

Some skywatchers have already glimpsed - and photographed - Perseid meteors during the nights preceding the shower's peak.

Chris Boundey spent Monday night at Dunstanburgh Castle in Northumberland, UK. "The meteors seemed to be coming thick and fast overhead," he told the BBC in an email.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:38:48 PM »

That's because they are visible tonight not last night 😉

Wales is meant to be a good place to see them, best time is Thursday morning between 1am and 4am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/33878964

Wales is not a good place to see them tonight apparently as it will be cloudy, unfortunately.

Rhiannon

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:34:26 AM »
Got some amazing sightings from upstairs looking out over the fields. My eldest was crying because they were so beautiful.

torridon

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »
I saw 6 over the course of 30 mins, one large one leaving a trail.

Looking up to the stars is always a source of wonder; a starting point for both science and religion, a starry sky being a thing of beauty and yet also in a sense they are the factories where you and I were made.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:53:36 AM by torridon »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:05 AM »
Mmm .. yes, the beginnings of woo ... and science  :)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Enki

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »
Good display last night, including one leaving a vapour trail, and made even more interesting by seeing the ISS passing at roughly the same time.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Rhiannon

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Good display last night, including one leaving a vapour trail, and made even more interesting by seeing the ISS passing at roughly the same time.

Yes, we saw that too.  :)

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »

Looking up to the stars is always a source of wonder; a starting point for both science and religion, a starry sky being a thing of beauty and yet also in a sense they are the factories where you and I were made.

There is something obscurely comforting about knowing we are made from the stars, and knowing we'll be remade into something else.

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »

There is something obscurely comforting about knowing we are made from the stars, and knowing we'll be remade into something else.
Yes, I think so too. Perhaps it's that it's a reminder that we're not, as so many foolishly like to think, somehow above or apart from the fabric of the cosmos but an inherent and inextricable part of it.

Of course, whether you want to consider yourself as being made of stardust or spent nuclear fuel is a matter of temperament ;)

Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Enki

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »

Yes, I agree, Rhi. I suppose it's a feeling that we are all part of this universe, just stardust reconstituted. Perhaps it has to do with a feeling of our own importance combined with that of our own insignificance. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Rhiannon

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

Yes, I agree, Rhi. I suppose it's a feeling that we are all part of this universe, just stardust reconstituted. Perhaps it has to do with a feeling of our own importance combined with that of our own insignificance. :)

That's it exactly. I like being reminded of the insignificance of it all, every bit of it, yet also like the reminder that we are all the building blocks of what is to come.  :)

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

That's it exactly. I like being reminded of the insignificance of it all, every bit of it, yet also like the reminder that we are all the building blocks of what is to come.  :)

Meteors are just bits of dust, pebbles and rocks burning up.  What's the big deal?
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 05:25:28 PM »
That we are composed of some of the same stuff as they are out in the wild depths of deep space. That's mind-blowing to me - why not to you? I suppose you find New Testament David Blaine-esque conjuring tricks more believable and impressive, is that it?

And they look damned cool too  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:27:49 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »
That we are composed of some of the same stuff as they are out in the wild depths of deep space. That's mind-blowing to me - why not to you? I suppose you find New Testament David Blaine-esque conjuring tricks more believable and impressive, is that it?

Have to make a religious thing out of a simple point of view, totally unrelated to religion, eh.  And you wonder why I call you obsessive.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
As a point of view goes it's a pretty parochial, limited, parish-pump one though isn't it? I know we can't all be interested in the same stuff but not to be amazed by this is inconceivable to me.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 05:35:41 PM »
As a point of view goes it's a pretty parochial, limited, parish-pump one though isn't it? I know we can't all be interested in the same stuff but not to be amazed by this is inconceivable to me.

Don't be so ridiculous.  Astronomy was a hobby of mine for many years, and I don't see the Perseids as more than a fairly innocuous astronomical detail.   You are hugely over-stating their importance, as a spectacle and as an astronomical occurrence.  Just the usual attempt to start an argument about nothing in particular.
BA.

Rhiannon

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »

Meteors are just bits of dust, pebbles and rocks burning up.  What's the big deal?

I don't get that at all.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »

I don't get that at all.

It's what they are, isn't it.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »
Yes, but it doesn't make them any less amazing.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
Yes, but it doesn't make them any less amazing.

Bits of dust and rock burning up.  An occurrence which is happening every day of the year.  Not that amazing.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »
It's sad that someone who claims to have studied astronomy as a hobby seems to have so little connection to the universe, but each to their own.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
When one is bored of the Perseids.....