Author Topic: Talking therapies  (Read 5635 times)

BashfulAnthony

Talking therapies
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »

I think all this is a very personal thing.  Why do they have to air it all in public?
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

Re: Talking therapies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »

I think all this is a very personal thing.  Why do they have to air it all in public?
Strength in numbers. Knowing that you're not alone and can converse with people in the same situation is an immense source of strength and comfort to many.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »

Strength in numbers. Knowing that you're not alone and can converse with people in the same situation is an immense source of strength and comfort to many.

Form a group or something.  There are ways of coming together without needing to air it all on the public stage.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
Why shouldn't people be able to discuss these things in public just because it makes you feel uncomfortable?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »
Why shouldn't people be able to discuss these things in public just because it makes you feel uncomfortable?

Who said I'm uncomfortable?  As per usual you make assumptions.  I am just querying why the subject needs to be aired publicly, when it is an intensely private (no pun intended!) matter.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »
I've already explained that. Whether it's being transgendered or suffering from depression or irritable bowel syndrome or having been bereaved or discussing your pets, many people feel helped by being able to discuss things. Within that group, if it's a sensitive issue a lot of people might like to be able to do so anonymously, which the WWW allows for beautifully.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:46:10 PM by Shaker »

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »
I've already explained that. Whether it's being transgendered or suffering from depression or irritable bowel syndrome or having been bereaved or discussing your pets, many people feel helped by being able to discuss things. Within that group, if it's a sensitive issue a lot of people might like to be able to do so anonymously, which the WWW allows for beautifully.

Which point I have already addressed. What's your hang-up?
BA.

Rhiannon

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
Someone like Kellie Maloney or Kaitlin Jenner going public can make things so much easier for others who are struggling. And it's not just the trans person themselves, but their families who can benefit. And Kellie Maloney still works in the same career - someone would have noticed sooner or later, trust me.

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
I don't have one - I'd have thought it obvious that someone who doesn't want to see transgender issues discussed in public is the one with the hang-up.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
I don't have one - I'd have thought it obvious that someone who doesn't want to see transgender issues discussed in public is the one with the hang-up.

No, sorry, I'm not going to be drawn into any more silliness from you.  Anyway, you're overdue your afternoon nap.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
What's silly, exactly, about not only being fine with but actively and positively wanting to see transgender issues made more visible in the public arena with a view to its helping people thus affected?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »
What's silly, exactly, about not only being fine with but actively and positively wanting to see transgender issues made more visible in the public arena with a view to its helping people thus affected?

Oh dear!  Silly because you are simply trying to make an argument where there is none, only a difference of emphasis.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
Implying that trans people shouldn't discuss trans issues in public is a bit more than a mere difference in emphasis.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »
Implying that trans people shouldn't discuss trans issues in public is a bit more than a mere difference in emphasis.

I am saying it is a matter more appropriately discussed in private:  you say it is better discussed in public.  What other differences have we over the subject?
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily a case of being better as that sounds too prescriptive to me; I just don't have a problem with it amongst those who want to.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily a case of being better as that sounds too prescriptive to me; I just don't have a problem with it amongst those who want to.

And added to that it immediately makes it something they are being told not to talk about. How in the name of King Dial, the best dressed man in Barbados, could Kellie Maloney or Caitlyn Jenner kept quiet about it?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 06:10:50 PM »

I don't have a "problem" with it.  I simply state an opinion.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
That's right, and that opinion is that discussing trans issues in public is "inappropriate."

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »
That's right, and that opinion is that discussing trans issues in public is "inappropriate."

Dog with a bone stuff with you, isn't it?  Don't try and make something about nothing in particular.
BA.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 07:35:18 PM »

Dog with a bone stuff with you, isn't it?  Don't try and make something about nothing in particular.
Grow up, BA.  I sometimes feel that Rhi's point about 'male entitlement', Post #5, may be somewhere on the right lines, sometimes I don't.  But I think that as a society it is important to discuss the pros and cons of such developments, and to do so in public
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »

Grow up, BA.  I sometimes feel that Rhi's point about 'male entitlement', Post #5, may be somewhere on the right lines, sometimes I don't.  But I think that as a society it is important to discuss the pros and cons of such developments, and to do so in public.
In general terms, yes.  But why would someone want to air their very personal situation in public, eh?
BA.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »
In general terms, yes.  But why would someone want to air their very personal situation in public, eh?
Let's takje another area of life altogether.  Mental Health has long been the poor relation of the global healthcare system.  It is only in the last 3 or 4 years, since the likes of Alistair Campbell, Stephen Fry and other high-profile individuals have spoken out about their MH issues that it has begun to get a higher profile itself.  Whether that has translated into improved economic input I'm not sure, but far more people are aware of the issues involved - which can only ever be a good thing.  Likewise transgender, cancer, bullying, etc.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Let's takje another area of life altogether.  Mental Health has long been the poor relation of the global healthcare system.  It is only in the last 3 or 4 years, since the likes of Alistair Campbell, Stephen Fry and other high-profile individuals have spoken out about their MH issues that it has begun to get a higher profile itself.  Whether that has translated into improved economic input I'm not sure, but far more people are aware of the issues involved - which can only ever be a good thing.  Likewise transgender, cancer, bullying, etc.

Mental Health is an illness and needs to be addressed for the good of all. Transgender is not an illness:  unless you are suggesting otherwise.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »
Not an illness; but a condition which causes a great deal of difficulty for some people and is comorbid with things that are illnesses such as depression and/or anxiety, even to the point of suicide.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »
Not an illness; but a condition which causes a great deal of difficulty for some people and is comorbid with things that are illnesses such as depression and/or anxiety, even to the point of suicide.

That can be true of just about any condition.  A teenager with acute acne can be very depressed about it, but would be even more so if he/she had his/her condition aired for all to discuss. Things can be dealt with without the glare of everyone's gaze.
BA.