Author Topic: Just to keep things up to date  (Read 18455 times)

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
"It is finished."

Shaker

Re: Just to keep things up to date
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
No, I was referring to the fact that a small, flickering light may be kindling in Bashers's brain with his earlier comments about people with superstitious beliefs and asking what evidence there is for them. He might just be on the right track at long last :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/06/new-research--49-percent-have-no-religion-anglican-church-collapse-continues-islam-increases-ten-fold-since-1983

ippy

..and that day shall not come lest there be a great falling away first...   :)
... and there shall be a great searching for that thing with the little raffia attachment thing that was here somewhere only yesterday, at about eight o'clock ...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:51:49 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ippy

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
Aha ... I reckon we might be onto something now, Bashers ...  ;)

Really?  You mean you have some other kind of dolls?   ;)

Can you stick pins into those types of doll?

ippy

ippy

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/06/new-research--49-percent-have-no-religion-anglican-church-collapse-continues-islam-increases-ten-fold-since-1983

ippy

What's up 2C, milkman late this morning?

ippy

P S. It's not the end of the world I'm worried about, it's the day after.
Makes about as much sense as the twaddle you keep on coming out with.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:06:51 PM by ippy »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 11:05:44 AM »

ippy

ippy
Ippy, it's great that someone with your grasp of the real world can guff on about how secularism is not antireligious then crow over a triumphalist antireligion piece by secularism.org.

You're just a big phony.

Shaker

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
New doll and set of hatpins for Vlad, ippster  ;D

ippy

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »

ippy

ippy
Ippy, it's great that someone with your grasp of the real world can guff on about how secularism is not antireligious then crow over a triumphalist antireligion piece by secularism.org.

You're just a big phony.

In which particular phrase in this thread did I indicate any form of triumphalism?

It just so happens these figures, showing the decline in ignorant, primitive, bronze age beliefs that have no substance in them, make it look as though they're on their way out here in the UK. 

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the good news.

ippy

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »

ippy

ippy

You're just a big phony.

In which particular phrase in this thread did I indicate any form of triumphalism?

It just so happens these figures, showing the decline in ignorant, primitive, bronze age beliefs that have no substance in them, make it look as though they're on their way out here in the UK. 

ippy

This country has been secular and mildly antireligious for decades Ippy.......also I can't see the UK as progressing in a way in which the majority benefit........exactly the opposite, in fact.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:22:29 AM by Big V »

ippy

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »

ippy

ippy

You're just a big phony.

ippy

This country has been secular and mildly antireligious for decades Ippy.......also I can't see the UK as progressing in a way in which the majority benefit........exactly the opposite, in fact.

Well it's be as religious as you like as long as religions don't expect or get any privileges; a level playing field for all.

ippy

SusanDoris

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2015, 04:27:47 PM »
Just dropping in with a couple of :) :)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »

ippy

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
The MYTH of the SECULAR part 7

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio/player.html?autoPlay=true&clipIds=2673149606

Come on woody look next door, forget about chopping down the trees for a minute; the US is secular, I can't remember seeing any news about the religious population of the US being persecuted because of their religious beliefs.

Perhaps you've heard something I haven't, was it mass arrests of the religious or something like that? I don't think so.

ippy   

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »
Don't be so afraid to listen to this series Ippy. The MYTH of the SECULAR
I know you are afraid to listen to the series because you are making stunted and childish comments about mass arrests and chopping wood. Ippy, get educated on your secular myth.

http://backpalm.blogspot.ca/2012/10/david-cayley-latest-myth-of-secular.html

Outrider

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
Don't be so afraid to listen to this series Ippy. The MYTH of the SECULAR
I know you are afraid to listen to the series because you are making stunted and childish comments about mass arrests and chopping wood. Ippy, get educated on your secular myth.

http://backpalm.blogspot.ca/2012/10/david-cayley-latest-myth-of-secular.html

The whole thing starts with a mischaracterisation - secularisation does not have a 'goal' of eradicating religion. There were people - still are - who think that removing the official sanction of religion will result in it dying out, personally I disagree (I think continued education will eradicate religion, but that's another debate).

Secularisation is not an attempt to eradicate religion, it's a system whereby religion should not be priveleged in the public arena. Nations around the world have adopted it to a greater or lesser extent: I'm not personally that au fait with the state of play in Canada.

Reading the summaries of the episodes it seems like some familiar canards: everything good in society came out of religion (arguably everything came out of religious organisations, because they had their tendrils into everything, but that doesn't mean that religious thought or religious sentiment is responsible), the US was founded on a religious basis (patent nonsense), the idea that Bible is the source of everything (it's not, it's just so selectably interpretable its adherents try to lay claim to everything, regardless of whether the ideas were around before or have only been possible long after); along with some intriguing concepts: secularism hasn't led to the downfall of religion which leads secularism to need rethinking/reimagining, a religious view of the meaning of 'fundamentalism'.

O.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Shaker

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »

The whole thing starts with a mischaracterisation - secularisation does not have a 'goal' of eradicating religion.

Is that what canoe's programme states? As I frequently have cause to say, anything that wrong can only be the product of an incredible degree of ignorance or conscious and deliberate dishonesty.

There were people - still are - who think that removing the official sanction of religion will result in it dying out, personally I disagree (I think continued education will eradicate religion, but that's another debate).
I agree - that and affluence/material comfort and social security/prosperity.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »

ippy

ippy

You're just a big phony.

ippy

Looking at the VJ memorial services today, I was hugely impressed.  Looking at your pathetic comment here, and comparing you with the people in church, it is so striking what a sad person you are, with your sterile lack of any purpose in life, and with your silly, immature clichés.  You people are to be pitied. 
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »
Looking at the VJ memorial services today, I was hugely impressed.  Looking at your pathetic comment here, and comparing you with the people in church, it is so striking what a sad person you are, with your sterile lack of any purpose in life, and with your silly, immature clichés.  You people are to be pitied.
What do you actually know about what ippy considers to be the purposes in (rather than purpose of - I'd be suspicious of anyone who claimed it was a singular affair) his life?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »
What do you actually know about what ippy considers to be the purposes in (rather than purpose of - I'd be suspicious of anyone who claimed it was a singular affair) his life?

That's something for Ippy to comment on, not you.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
Or you either, then.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »
Or you either, then.

I was commenting about his post; you were answering for him:  a slight difference.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
I was commenting about his post
No; you were commenting on his very existence - "sterile lack of purpose" as you put it. Far from answering for him, I quite rightly pointed out that you have no business making such a comment.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2015, 08:10:38 PM »
I was commenting about his post
No; you were commenting on his very existence - "sterile lack of purpose" as you put it. Far from answering for him, I quite rightly pointed out that you have no business making such a comment.

In other words, answering for him!
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »
Still no. Saying that somebody has a "sterile lack of purpose" (while actually not knowing the first thing about them or their lives) is answering for them.