Author Topic: Just to keep things up to date  (Read 18463 times)

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
Re: Just to keep things up to date
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »
Outrider,
Try listening to the audio. And please read up on what the secularization theory is.

Not on the audio but the hosts words
"Western Social Theory ONCE insisted that modernization meant secularization and secularization meant the withering away of religion."

Secularization Theory is the theory that as society progresses, religion fades. As science and logic continues to develop, religion becomes ever more empty until it dies from lack of adherents.

I think you misrepresented there Outrider and you wouldn't have made that goof up if you read up on the secularization theory and actually listened to the first audio.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »
Still no. Saying that somebody has a "sterile lack of purpose" (while actually not knowing the first thing about them or their lives) is answering for them.

No, it is an opinion based on his posts.  You are answering for him.  If he disagrees with my opinion, it is up to him to repudiate it, not you. 
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2015, 02:09:51 AM »
Still no. Saying that somebody has a "sterile lack of purpose" (while actually not knowing the first thing about them or their lives) is answering for them.

No, it is an opinion based on his posts.  You are answering for him.  If he disagrees with my opinion, it is up to him to repudiate it, not you.
I'm not repudiating it, though; I'm stating, as a matter of simple fact, that you are in no position to make such a judgement about ippy, least of all when your "opinion based on his posts" is itself based on no more than the fact that he says disobliging things about your religion and you've got a weed up your ass about it.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2015, 02:21:34 AM »

I'm not repudiating it, though; I'm stating, as a matter of simple fact, that you are in no position to make such a judgement about ippy, least of all when your "opinion based on his posts" is itself based on no more than the fact that he says disobliging things about your religion and you've got a weed up your ass about it.

In case you are unaware, your continued posting rather bears out my point; and I don't need to use bad language to make my point  -  a sure sign that you are losing your rag, again, and unable to make a coherent case.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2015, 02:27:17 AM »
As has been said many times before, your pearl-clutching over robust language is, while prudish, puritanical and pathetic, your problem. I suppose complaining about the occasional swearword is a diversionary tactic which spares you the onerous job of actually engaging with the points that people make - something which you never do. Never have, never will. It's far easier to wave your hankie around and asked to be fanned with a folded newspaper because somebody has said shit than it is to put in the hard yards of saying "Your argument is wrong, and this is why ...," which is clearly utterly beyond you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:41:01 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2015, 02:34:23 AM »
As has been said many times before, your pearl-clutching over robust language is, while prudush, puritanical and pathetic, your problem. I suppose complaining about the occasional swearword is a diversionary tactic which spares you the onerous job of actually engaging with the points that people make - something which you never do. Never have, never will. It's far easier to wave your hankie around and asked to be fanned with a folded newspaper because somebody has said shit than it is to put in the hard yards of saying "Your argument is wrong, and this is why ...," which is clearly utterly beyond you.

The day I sit and listen to, say, the Queen effing and blinding in a speech, or the Archbishop swearing his way through an interview; or maybe the News introduced with a string of expletives, then I will continue to consider it bad language (called that because reasonable people consider it just that), used only by those who have no control, and even less vocabulary  -  ring any bells?
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2015, 02:39:04 AM »
None whatsoever, since the "swearing = poor vocabulary" canard has been demolished, pulverised and buried too many times by too many superlative wordsmiths to have any traction whatsoever.

Ironically it's a pseudo-argument that only the terminally unoriginal and unimaginative - the linguistically hobbled -continue to use.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2015, 02:42:26 AM »
None whatsoever, since the "swearing = poor vocabulary" canard has been demolished, pulverised and buried too many times by too many superlative wordsmiths to have any traction whatsoever.

Ironically it's a pseudo-argument that only the terminally unoriginal and unimaginative - the linguistically hobbled -continue to use.

Funny.  Seems only half-wits, exhibitionists and the linguistically-challenged need to resort to swearing. Often it is done, of course, in temper  -  that's the lack of control bit - and more often, to hide a paucity of content in an argument.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2015, 02:46:05 AM »
If you regard Chaucer, Donne, Shakespeare, Lawrence [rest of list snipped as being too long and unwieldy] as linguistically-challenged half-wits, your feeling for English language and literature is on a par with your ability to construct a rebuttal to an argument, i.e. nonexistent.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »
If you regard Chaucer, Donne, Shakespeare, Lawrence [rest of list snipped as being too long and unwieldy] as linguistically-challenged half-wits, your feeling for English language and literature is on a par with your ability to construct a rebuttal to an argument, i.e. nonexistent.

Well, using bad language as a literary ploy is not quite the same as using it habitually in normal discourse.. You seem not to appreciate such subtlety.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »
Why is it different? The words are the same and retain the same meanings, so do explain the difference.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »
Why is it different? The words are the same and retain the same meanings, so do explain the difference.

Certain words may be appropriate in literature in order to reflect every nuance of usage and how some ignorant and moronic people, conduct themselves in discourse, unable to express themselves adequately without swearing.

BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
I don't need to use bad language to make my point

No,your style is more a stream of insults. 

This is a public forum, anybody is free to contribute at any time.  If you didn't want your conversation with ippy to be interrupted, you should have used a PM.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:47:11 AM by jeremyp »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »
I don't need to use bad language to make my point

No,your style is more a stream of insults. 

This is a public forum, anybody is free to contribute at any time.  If you didn't want your conversation with ippy to be interrupted, you should have used a PM.

It's interesting that you feel the need to make several posts aimed at me this morning, referring to posts between myself and the sainted Shaker.  So you think Shaker unable to interact with me on his own, or is it the usual "ganging up" by atheists, who are only here for that purpose, if they are honest enough to admit it  (and they aren't!)
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »

It's interesting that you feel the need to make several posts aimed at me this morning,

It's interesting that you constantly make posts aimed at other posters and yet when somebody does it to you, the whining starts.

Hypocrite.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »

It's interesting that you feel the need to make several posts aimed at me this morning,

It's interesting that you constantly make posts aimed at other posters and yet when somebody does it to you, the whining starts.

Hypocrite.

I am constantly being derided by the atheist numbskulls on here, as you aptly demonstrate.  I am not whining, I am responding  -  but, then, as is so clear, your vocabulary is weak, which, of course, is why you have to revert to expletives so often.
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »
I am not whining, I am responding  -  but, then, as is so clear, your vocabulary is weak, which, of course, is why you have to revert to expletives so often.

No, you are whining and are insulting.  You constantly tell the people who disagree with you to go away or shut up or you insult them ("atheist numbskulls" anyone).  You are a hypocrite because you complain about my swearing whilst throwing insults at me and you don't complain about the swear words used by people on your own side. 

Incidentally can you show me the last post in which I used an expletive? Then I'll show you the last 10 posts in which you resorted to insult. I bet they're all more recent than my last use of a rude word.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »
I am not whining, I am responding  -  but, then, as is so clear, your vocabulary is weak, which, of course, is why you have to revert to expletives so often.

No, you are whining and are insulting.  You constantly tell the people who disagree with you to go away or shut up or you insult them ("atheist numbskulls" anyone).  You are a hypocrite because you complain about my swearing whilst throwing insults at me and you don't complain about the swear words used by people on your own side. 

Incidentally can you show me the last post in which I used an expletive? Then I'll show you the last 10 posts in which you resorted to insult. I bet they're all more recent than my last use of a rude word.

Stop whining, Mr. Foul-Mouth.
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »

Stop whining!

I'm not whining, I am merely telling you some home truths.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »

Stop whining!

I'm not whining, I am merely telling you some home truths.

Still whining!!
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2015, 06:05:38 PM »

BashfulAnthony

BA.

Shaker

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
You are a hypocrite because you complain about my swearing whilst throwing insults at me and you don't complain about the swear words used by people on your own side. 
He had a go at me for saying "butt-crack" whereas Vlad's use of "fucking aliens" (on the crop circles thread) received nary a mention.

As you say, the hypocrisy is strong with this one.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »
You are a hypocrite because you complain about my swearing whilst throwing insults at me and you don't complain about the swear words used by people on your own side. 
He had a go at me for saying "butt-crack" whereas Vlad's use of "fucking aliens" (on the crop circles thread) received nary a mention.

As you say, the hypocrisy is strong with this one.

I condemn all swearing on the forum, and have done consistently, as you will appreciate, if you are honest.  So stop whining!
BA.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2015, 06:12:38 PM »

I condemn all swearing on the forum, as you will appreciate, if you are honest.

Why did you let Vlad's use of the F-word go then?