Author Topic: No Union Flag on athletics kits  (Read 10474 times)

Rhiannon

No Union Flag on athletics kits
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
The GB athletes won't have the Union Flag on their kit for the World Championships.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33942584

Could this be due to the influence of Scottish nationalism? Can't think why else.

Does it matter?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: No Union Flag on athletics kits
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
The GB athletes won't have the Union Flag on their kit for the World Championships.

Could this be due to the influence of Scottish nationalism?
No.

Can't think why else.

My first thought was some trendy fashion designer has been at it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »

Could this be due to the influence of Scottish nationalism? Can't think why else.

Does it matter?
A storm in a tea-cup I think.

I suspect this is merely a design decision with no 'political' overtones. Actually if you read the article and scroll down you'll see that the union flag is plastered prominently all over the kit, just not on the vest.

And it is certainly not the case that sporting kits including the national flag. I don't think the England football teams kit ever has (players tend to kiss the badge - 3 lions - to show their allegiance) - nor were the victorious ashes cricketers wearing a kit that included the England flag.

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
The athletes themselves don't seem that chuffed.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/aug/14/british-athletics-union-flag-less-vest-greg-rutherford-kelly-holmes

And this is Chris Bryant's take:

Shadow culture, media and sport secretary Chris Bryant lent his support, tweeting: "Yes @GregJRutherford is right. That vest could easily be French or American.

"Where is the Union flag? Is someone embarrassed to be British?"

Apparently it's been driven by the need to promote British Athletics as a brand name, but it's no Three Lions emblem - unlike other sports it's been the flag that athletes have used in the past. They've left it off the vest which is the part if the kit most visible, co clearly the branding is seen as the most important thing. Still, our athletes get to show their allegiance to Nike.

Can't say it bothers me much as I'm not an athlete and I don't watch athletics. But it seems to be ill thought out.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »

Does it matter?

-
Great stuff!
The less we see of the butcher's apron, the better.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:02:43 AM »

Does it matter?

-
Great stuff!
Unfortunately Anchs your side lost in the referendum......here's union jack bunting to you.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/aug/14/british-athletics-union-flag-less-vest-greg-rutherford-kelly-holmes

Shadow culture, media and sport secretary Chris Bryant lent his support, tweeting: "Yes @GregJRutherford is right. That vest could easily be French or American.

Apparently it's been driven by the need to promote British Athletics as a brand name, but it's no Three Lions emblem - unlike other sports it's been the flag that athletes have used in the past. They've left it off the vest which is the part if the kit most visible, co clearly the branding is seen as the most important thing. Still, our athletes get to show their allegiance to Nike.

Can't say it bothers me much as I'm not an athlete and I don't watch athletics. But it seems to be ill thought out.
From looking at the bigger picture they seem to have moved the union flag from the vest to the shorts. Maybe some people don't like that, but its still there. The whole kit seems (as is often the case) to be based on the union flag in terms of colours and geometric design.

It is also unclear whether this just Rutherford or a widespread view - he makes that claim, but unsubstantiated.

Overall it seems rather poor if an elite athlete seems to be implying that he can't give his best unless the shirt he is wearing is designed in a particular manner. Heaven help a top cyclist who can't stand yellow!!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 12:21:57 PM »
Nice jump on a bandwagon by Bryant.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
It is corporist twaddle to drop the flag in order to promote the concept and customer experience of ''Brand Athletics''. The Govt must be planning to sell  GB athletics off to a global corporation......asurely it must be easier to CGI a logo straight onto a sports kit in motion than first taking a Union Jack off?

floo

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
I am glad the Brits don't go in for flag waving to the extent those across the pond seem to do.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

From looking at the bigger picture they seem to have moved the union flag from the vest to the shorts. Maybe some people don't like that, but its still there. The whole kit seems (as is often the case) to be based on the union flag in terms of colours and geometric design.

It is also unclear whether this just Rutherford or a widespread view - he makes that claim, but unsubstantiated.

Overall it seems rather poor if an elite athlete seems to be implying that he can't give his best unless the shirt he is wearing is designed in a particular manner. Heaven help a top cyclist who can't stand yellow!!

He's not saying he can't give his best. He's saying he wants to display that he's there for his country.

Athletes joining him in speaking out include David Weir, Eillish McColgan, Goldie Sayers, Dan Greaves, Michael Rimmer and Kelly Holmes.

Rhiannon

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
It is corporist twaddle to drop the flag in order to promote the concept and customer experience of ''Brand Athletics''. The Govt must be planning to sell  GB athletics off to a global corporation......asurely it must be easier to CGI a logo straight onto a sports kit in motion than first taking a Union Jack off?

I'd think that was crazy shit but according to these comments it isn't so. British Athletics Ltd, funded by the tax payer, has as its corporate partners the BBC, Camelot and Nike.

So yes, it's been sold off, according to the comments and what I can find on the web.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 02:02:40 PM »
I think rather than sold off, it has been 'collateralized'.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »

Does it matter?

-
Great stuff!
Unfortunately Anchs your side lost in the referendum......here's union jack bunting to you.

-
Cheers, Vlad.
I'm running short of Andrex.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Rhiannon

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »

Does it matter?

-
Great stuff!

-
Cheers, Vlad.
I'm running short of Andrex.

Classy.  ???

Rhiannon

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
Anyways, more classy stuff here.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/justin-gatlin-or-jo-pavey-who-would-you-sponsor-20182/

Great example for our young people, well done Nike.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
Part of me wants to give up on the war against drugs in athletics because just having it out in the open might make it easier in what to believe.

Rhiannon

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
I'm afraid I've just given up on athletics. Used to love it years ago, never bother watching it now except when the Olympics are on and even then I'm cynical. Jo Pavey I find inspirational as an individual, but not the sport.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »
floo,
Now come on, you missed the Queen's 50th and 60th celebrations? Now there's flag waving the USA has never matched. I loved seeing the sea of Union Jacks waving.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 06:18:35 PM »
He's not saying he can't give his best. He's saying he wants to display that he's there for his country.
I think he is actually if his quotes are to be believed:

'Rutherford insists the union jack flag on his vest has always been a motivation for his best performances.'

'Rutherford says the flag on his vest during London 2012 helped inspire his gold medal performance.'

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
Anyways, more classy stuff here.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/justin-gatlin-or-jo-pavey-who-would-you-sponsor-20182/

Great example for our young people, well done Nike.
Shall we pick up on WingsoverScotland's example and set up a crowdfunding appeal for Jo?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »
I wnder whether it is the physical flag that is so psychologically valuable?  After all, the new kit effectively absorbs or represents the flag.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Rhiannon

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »
I think he is actually if his quotes are to be believed:

'Rutherford insists the union jack flag on his vest has always been a motivation for his best performances.'

'Rutherford says the flag on his vest during London 2012 helped inspire his gold medal performance.'

Ok, so let's say Greg really does regard the UF as his lucky pants. Is it right to replace it with what are in effect two corporate logos for international competition? According to the people at Athletics Weekly the designs's pretty much the same as Canada.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »
The whole thing is daft, why have standard kit at all? Athletes should be allowed to wear whatever they like within the rules of fairness in the sport or as needed for team games.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »
  After all, the new kit effectively absorbs................ the flag.
It's the sweat.