Author Topic: Speaking in 'tongues'  (Read 193293 times)

floo

Speaking in 'tongues'
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:30:04 PM by Nearly Sane »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Speaking in 'tongues'
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
As usual, you judge all those who are charismatics by the low standards of the fellowship you attended as a child.
There are charismatic within most denominations - through RC, Anglican, Baptist, evangelical, even as I can testify from my own experience, Church of Scotland.
The Charismatic movement is not confined to Pentecostalism (mor. thamkfully, the 'Toronto blessing')
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
I wondered how many people have had experience of people speaking in so called 'tongues', or have actually indulged in it themselves?

It was a Sunday morning feature of my childhood. Two members of the congregation of the Elim Pentecostal church we attended, would suddenly feel impelled to spout gobbledegook, often during a prayer or the sermon! It was totally crazy and many of us tried to stifle giggles, including my mother.

As you would expect I am of the opinion that this nonsense is an aberration of the human brain and nothing to do with any deity, unless it enjoys watching people make total cretins of themselves. The notorious 'Toronto Blessing' where people actually barked liked dogs just goes to prove how totally idiotic this activity is.
People impelled to spout gobbledegook is a common feature of our society Floo. Statistically speaking, not speaking it is the aberration.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
I wondered how many people have had experience of people speaking in so called 'tongues', or have actually indulged in it themselves?

It was a Sunday morning feature of my childhood. Two members of the congregation of the Elim Pentecostal church we attended, would suddenly feel impelled to spout gobbledegook, often during a prayer or the sermon! It was totally crazy and many of us tried to stifle giggles, including my mother.

As you would expect I am of the opinion that this nonsense is an aberration of the human brain and nothing to do with any deity, unless it enjoys watching people make total cretins of themselves. The notorious 'Toronto Blessing' where people actually barked liked dogs just goes to prove how totally idiotic this activity is.
This was a problematic issue for the Christian community as commented on in the Epistles.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »
Again, a sweeping statement, floo.
Leaving your childhood experiences aside, have you actually studied the charismatic movement in any depth before coming to your opinion?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
As usual, you judge all those who are charismatics by the low standards of the fellowship you attended as a child.
There are charismatic within most denominations - through RC, Anglican, Baptist, evangelical, even as I can testify from my own experience, Church of Scotland.
The Charismatic movement is not confined to Pentecostalism (mor. thamkfully, the 'Toronto blessing')

If the charismatic way of doing things turns you on, fine, but I find it totally embarrassing and cringe worthy.
Floo, did you ever try it yourself.

All the teaching I've heard is that it is under the control of the person not a ''possession'' or anything like that by God.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »
Vlad:
Yep.
There has never been an occasion when I am not fully in control.
There has never been an occasion when I let the experience substitute for the study of Scripture (nor should there be)

That's why I have no interest in the 'Toronto blessing'.
I have no wish to bark like a dog for Jesus - or anyone else, for that matter.

ippy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

Floo, speaking in 'tongues', it's no more loony than a large amount of the rest of it.

ippy

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
I have attended many services where the congregation start to sing in tongues.  The singing often comprises of beautiful spontaneous harmonies which are worlds away from the dreadful noises produced in the Toronto Blessing.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »

Floo, speaking in 'tongues', it's no more loony than a large amount of the rest of it.

What like Christian aid and food banks?

ippy

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »

What like Christian aid and food banks?

ad_orientem

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
If it sounds like gobbledegook it's most probably because it is. On the day of Pentecost every man heard the Apostles speaking in his own tongue.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 12:54:38 PM »
If it sounds like gobbledegook it's most probably because it is.
One to remember, for sure  ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
Leaving your childhood experiences aside, have you actually studied the charismatic movement in any depth before coming to your opinion?

I have seen enough of it to know it makes me want to vomit, that is how strongly I dislike it!

-
So: you've seen charismatic Anglicans?
Roman Catholics?
Church of Scotland?
When. where, and what did you see, please?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
I have seen enough of it to know it makes me want to vomit, that is how strongly I dislike it!
This suggests that you have actually seen very little of it, Floo.  I realise that for some parts of Pentecostalism speaking in tongues is a must-have, but there is nothing 'must-have' in the Biblical teaching.  If anything, it is deemed to be something that is not that common. 

May I also remind you that 'speaking in tongues' doesn't onmly refer to speaking with sounds that could be deemed to be gobbledegook.  The 2nd Chapter of Acts records an event where hundreds, if not thousands of poeople heard the Gospel being declared in their own languages, but coming from the mouths of a small group of Jews.  'Speaking in tongues' ranges from speaking in a human language that you no previous knowledge of to expressing things in ways that human language currently has no set forms for.  Its very similar to the long, drawn-out Wow's and Sheesh's one often hears when people see something astonishing (after all, neither of those terms have any meaning in any dictionary)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »

-
So: you've seen charismatic Anglicans?
Roman Catholics?
Church of Scotland?
When. where, and what did you see, please?

OK then explain your definition of charismatic, maybe it is different to mine.

-Charismatic:
Someone who has experienced the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and exercises them.

I could fling in jargon and theology speak, but, basically, that's it.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »
So, again:
Have you witnessed the exercise of these gifts in any other context apart from the one you endured as a child?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
The so called 'gifts' of the mythical HS are crazy nonsense, imo!
Teaching, Serving, hospitality, the ability to make wise judgements, Exhortation, the ability to heal, Giving, Leadership, Mercy- these are all 'crazy nonsense'?  Should you wish to check out others, see Romans 12: 6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12: 8-10
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »

Blimey, a Floo post that I agree with  ;D

I have on the other hand heard of someone being empowered to preach the gospel in a foreign language (which they could not speak)
"It is finished."

ippy

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
Teaching, Serving, hospitality, the ability to make wise judgements, Exhortation, the ability to heal, Giving, Leadership, Mercy- these are all 'crazy nonsense'?  Should you wish to check out others, see Romans 12: 6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12: 8-10

I suppose there's no way you could back up; no no don't worry.

ippy

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »

-
C'mon, Hope.
Floo's read her Bible.
She's supposed  to know this...dunno why she condemns it, though.....

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »

Take out the 'ability to heal' bit and the rest are human behaviours, not that every human exhibits them all.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »
Take out the 'ability to heal' bit and the rest are human behaviours, not that every human exhibits them all.
I'd disagree with you on two scores; firstly I believe that these are all abilities (not merely behaviours) with which humans are endowed by a creator God.  The fact that not all humans exhibit all of them is actually highlighted in the two passages I referenced.  'Some are ...; some are ...; ...'
Secondly, I believe that people can be healed by other humans.  Through the use of their God-given skills, doctors and nurses are able to heal other humans (and other species as well)

Shaker

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
I'd disagree with you on two scores
This should be good ...
firstly I believe that these are all abilities (not merely behaviours) with which humans are endowed by a creator God.  The fact that not all humans exhibit all of them is actually highlighted in the two passages I referenced.  'Some are ...; some are ...; ...'
Mere unsubstantiated belief with which we needn't trouble ourselves, then.
Secondly, I believe that people can be healed by other humans.  Through the use of their God-given skills, doctors and nurses are able to heal other humans (and other species as well)
It looks as though you've been taking lessons from Alan Burns. He too is very fond of shoring up his god-belief by ensuring that it has the magic cloak of indefeasibility and is specially greased to be able to slip away from every challenge and critique when on any other issue any rational person would conclude: "Yeah, you're right; this hypothesis is a load of old pony." Humans healing humans (or non-human animals) is what doctors, nurses, surgeons, vets - medical folk generally - do, because humans have a theory of mind and generally are an empathetic lot, able imaginatively to place themselves in the position of one who is suffering even though they themselves are not. (Exceptions to this rule are sociopaths). Adding God into the picture as the ultimate "rationale" (not the word I'm after, obviously) for this violates Occam's Razor. It's the classic fifth wheel; useless lumber that means nothing, does nothing, says nothing and explains nothing.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:04:54 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 07:53:43 AM »
I'd disagree with you on two scores; firstly I believe that these are all abilities (not merely behaviours) with which humans are endowed by a creator God.  The fact that not all humans exhibit all of them is actually highlighted in the two passages I referenced.  'Some are ...; some are ...; ...'

This reads like the Mary Poppins approach to theology - apply a 'spoonful of sugar' so that it tastes nicer: but apply it only to the bits you already like.

Now that you clarified that by 'healing' you are talking about people applying the skills they have learned, like Mrs G (who is a Community Nurse), then all the attributes you mention are exactly that: human attributes which our species has the capacity for, along with the associated behaviours.

We aren't clones though so these attributes aren't uniformally distributed; so some prople have natural leadership skills, many are altruistic and choose to learn skills and take on roles that support others, and some acquire profioiency at playing snooker - this is all just applied biology though.

Interesting that you rush to credit your God with the good stuff but not the bad stuff: cue excuses that get God off the hook.