Author Topic: Speaking in 'tongues'  (Read 193297 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Speaking in 'tongues'
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
What silly superstitious claptrap!  ::)
I'd be careful, Floo.  "Ignorance of the law is no defence at law"   ;) :D
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »
Be careful, Floo,
Avoid blasphemy of the Holy Spirit... For your own sake...

Also watch out for the bogeyman under the bed, Holy Spirit my arse. :)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

ippy

« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
This has no bearing on your previous post. You asked: "Are they chance happenings or are they happenings that are, at least in part, controlled by circumstances?" The answer is that they are chance happenings. Evolution isn't "controlled" by circumstances; natural selection acts upon random events, acting as a sieve or filter upon stochastic occurrences - genetic chance and environmental necessity, as Jacques Monod famously put it.
Have to say that whenever we studied evolution at school, it was made clear that there are 2 types of evolution, macro- and micro-.  As far as I can make out, micro-evolution is very much in response to circumstances - the environment, for instance - as it can happen in as short a time as 3 or 4 generations, much quicker than macro-evolution. 

Except of course you've no way of knowing that your "reality" is less limited because you've no means of showing it to be so.
We do have the means.  The evidence is there to be seen by all humanity - in the New Testament, for instance - but since it doesn't fit the physical, materialistic parameters that you feel everything has to occur within then, of course, you can't see it.

Do you know Hope I keep forgetting this other eye or whatever it is that enables you to see more clearly than the rest of us underprivileged mere mortals, you really are so impressive, I can't even imagine how you're able to do these really remarkable things.

ippy 

ippy

« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
Be careful, Floo,

Also watch out for the bogeyman under the bed, Holy Spirit my arse. :)

You've got one under your bed too?

ippy

ippy

« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
It is for people who claim nonsensical things to be true, like the so called gifts of the spirit to put up the evidence or shut up!
OK, Floo, what do you mean by nonsensical?

Be careful, Floo,

I do know how you feel Sass, none of the rest of my family believe that Star Trek is a log of actual events, it can be very lonely when you know you're out there on your own.

ippy

P S, May the force be with you Sass.

ippy

« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
What is the difference between the bogeyman under the bed and the deity/HS? There is no evidence any of them exist.

Not a lot.

But don't you start on Star Trek.

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2015, 02:33:08 PM »
I didn't know that Floo had appeared on Star Trek.  Which episode(s)?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »

Hope, what are you on about?

I think it's jealousy because I've stood on the bridge of the Enterprise when it was exhibited at the science museum in South Kensington London and that was some time back.

I didn't want to go and see it but both of my boys, a lot younger then, made me go to see it.

Did you see Captain Kirk on the BBC's 'Have I got News for You" he travelled faster than the speed of light especially so that he could be on the show that was made some time before he was born, so there, not a lot of people know that.

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »
Do you know Hope I keep forgetting this other eye or whatever it is that enables you to see more clearly than the rest of us underprivileged mere mortals, you really are so impressive, I can't even imagine how you're able to do these really remarkable things.
It's really very simple, ippy.  It's about being a human being.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »

Hope, what are you on about?
ippy asked about you starting on Star Trek.  People who appear in TV programmes and films will often say that they 'start' in episode x.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:18:43 AM by Hope »

Sassy

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2015, 02:45:53 AM »
It is for people who claim nonsensical things to be true, like the so called gifts of the spirit to put up the evidence or shut up!

Be careful, Floo,

What silly superstitious claptrap!  ::)

Sad you have no reasoning to err on the side of caution.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2015, 02:50:06 AM »

Be careful, Floo,

I do know how you feel Sass, none of the rest of my family believe that Star Trek is a log of actual events, it can be very lonely when you know you're out there on your own.

ippy

What does on your own mean. Born alone and die alone. No one does either with you. Star trek is not unexplainable we know from whence it came and from whom. Your family does too, but no one knows where God came from or us, outside God.
It is all faith... but I have hope and look forward with faith.
Never alone....
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »
What is the difference between the bogeyman under the bed and the deity/HS? There is no evidence any of them exist.

Tell me who is the Christian closest to you. Ask them why they do not accept what you have written.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2015, 08:20:50 AM »
In view of the number of times you mention them Floo, it would seem that you believe in both - despite your protestations to the contrary.

Shaker

« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
In view of the number of times you mention them Floo, it would seem that you believe in both - despite your protestations to the contrary.
Asking a question (trying to achieve the near-impossible, i.e. getting a straight answer out of you) is not the same as believing in the existence of anything contained within that question, is it?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:56:32 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »

Fiction writers have been mentioning gods and ghosts for donkey's years ... but that doesn't mean they believe in them.

ippy

« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »
It's really very simple, ippy.  It's about being a gullible human being.

I'll go with that Hope.

ippy

ippy

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »

Be careful, Floo,

ippy

What does on your own mean. Born alone and die alone. No one does either with you. Star trek is not unexplainable we know from whence it came and from whom. Your family does too, but no one knows where God came from or us, outside God.
It is all faith... but I have hope and look forward with faith.
Never alone....

Perhaps I can help Sass the god idea dates back a long way to the earliest presence of mankind here on this planet.

Referring to anything not understood and boy there were a lot of things early mankind didn't know about so when things happened like say lightning and thunder, earthquakes they didn't know what they were or what caused them, so instant answer goddit, a bit like the rain dance to please the gods then when they thought they had pleased the gods they thought they would get it.

All your workshop manual is, is a slightly more advanced load of old tosh based on the same ages old and very basic, me no understand so it all must be goddit.

It'd certainly do you as much good and probably do you more good if you studied "Star Trek", than your present workshop manual jobby.

ippy

Shaker

« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »

And your evidence for that is? ::)
There isn't any, of course. It's just how it "seems" to him  ::)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
And your evidence for that is? ::)
See the post you responded to.  It's in there.

Shaker

« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
So first you said that it seems as though Floo believes in both, and now you're claiming that her post is evidence that she believes in both - which is it, subjective impression ("seems") or evidence? It can't be both.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
So first you said that it seems as though Floo believes in both, and now you're claiming that her post is evidence that she believes in both - which is it, subjective impression ("seems") or evidence? It can't be both.
I noted that 'In view of the number of times you mention them'; so there was a basis on which I was making my assumption. Floo is perfectly entitled to contradict or challenge that assumption, but it is one made from solid practical evidence.

Shaker

« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
No, there's no "solid practial evidence" that Floo believes in either deities or bogeymen under the bed. Mentioning both in the context of a question does not equate to believing in either no matter how many times they're mentioned (as per #205) - unless you think it does?

Floo, you might not have noticed, has contradicted your "assumption" many times over, let alone a few posts back on this thread.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:38:17 AM by Shaker »

ippy

« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
Poor Hope seems to have a problem with written English! I have stated my position so many times it has become BORING! But here it is again.

Whilst I believe ALL deities belonging to the world's religions, including Christianity, are human creations, there is just an outside chance a deity of some sort could exist in another dimension. I don't believe if that is the case humans are in touch with it. Now is that clear enough Hope, or do you need it put in reception class first reading books simple language?

He'll still find something to nit pick about exactly what it is he likes to think you're saying.

ippy

ippy

« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »
Poor Hope seems to have a problem with written English! I have stated my position so many times it has become BORING! But here it is again.

Whilst I believe ALL deities belonging to the world's religions, including Christianity, are human creations, there is just an outside chance a deity of some sort could exist in another dimension. I don't believe if that is the case humans are in touch with it. Now is that clear enough Hope, or do you need it put in reception class first reading books simple language?

He'll still find something to nit pick about exactly what it is he likes to think you're saying.

ippy

It is rather sad that Hope hasn't anything better to occupy his time, rather than posting nonsense statements on this forum, which are very easily refuted!

The odd few religious acquaintances of mine all seems to me they're in some kind of other world, arranging flowers, fitting curtains, polishing the Vicar, all at various churches or wherever Vicars live these days; I note to a person all of their children are meticulosity indoctrinated, makes me want to puke.

If I told you some of the world views these children have acquired, all when they still have the cradle marks.

ippy