Author Topic: Speaking in 'tongues'  (Read 193121 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Speaking in 'tongues'
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
Alien,

I'd change "Looking forward to hearing from the atheists who argued against me when I said that we know we exist and to seeing the tack they take now it is Outrider arguing this." to "Looking forward to hearing from the atheists who argued against me when I said that we know I exist and to seeing the tack they take now it is Outrider arguing this."

Again, this statement has nothing to do with atheism (so if anyone had said it, that they might happen to be atheists is no more relevant than would be, say, the fact that they are UKIP members). The most you can say with certainty is, “I know that something exists” and the rest is all probabilities. I don’t think Outrider is saying anything that contradicts this.     

I'm not sure you exist, but I do.

If you exist, I'd be interested in hearing you defend, "Further, there seems to me to be an inverse correlation at play here - the fewer the facts, the greater the certainty (eg religion); the greater the number of facts, the less the certainty (eg science)."

It’s simple enough: very often “faith” is used as a placemarker for facts – something you’ll readily acknowledge I think, at least in respect of the faiths that concern supernatural “somethings” you don’t think exist. “I’m certain that X exists because, while I have no verifiable facts to support me, that’s my faith” is a common enough position I’d have thought to make the point for me. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
Vlad,

I think you and I have the Dawkins /Jay Gould divide to contend with Blue.

Let’s see…

I believe there is scientific fact and facts gleaned from experience.

But how would you propose to distinguish a “fact gleaned from experience” from a non-fact also gleaned from experience – a simple mistaken attribution of cause,  a foundation of a logical fallacy etc? We can all I suppose think we find facts because they pop into our heads if we’re so minded, but that’s hopeless if you want to bridge the gap from the subjective to the objective.

Now we either bite the bullet and dismiss facts gleaned by experience as generically untrue or we say that the domain or magisterium of science deals in this type of fact and religion deals with that type of fact.

That’s a false opposition – a basic logical fallacy. The third option you’ve ignored is to conclude that all claimed facts with no method to verify them are neither true nor untrue – they’re just claims (or worse when the claim is incoherent like “god” – these are “not even false”).

Two big red herrings have wormed their way into this argument.

Firstly Science is being used as if it is interchangeable with atheism

Who has done that? I haven’t seen it. Rather science is introduced when the religious attempt scientific truths, at which point the scientific method shows them to be wrong about that.

Secondly, rather than science and religion, we should more correctly be talking about science and non science since any difference/conflict is being specially pleaded if we only consider religion.

Or perhaps “science and just guessing”, but ok.

Either way, while Stephen Jay Gould proposed non-overlapping magisteria (wrongly in my view) I don't think he also claimed that it was possible to say anything about one of them did he?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »

Secondly, rather than science and religion, we should more correctly be talking about science and non science since any difference/conflict is being specially pleaded if we only consider religion.

Well now you have stated there is ''science and just guessing'' I'm sure you, being on the side of the angels, will subscribe to a policy of Sola scientia and remain silent about anything which isn't science.

Yours

looking forward to not hearing from you (unless it is about science)

Vlad
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:29:46 PM by Vlad »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

Who has done that? I haven’t seen it. Rather science is introduced when the religious attempt scientific truths

[/quote]
Who has done that? You are here of course confirming Jay Gould here since you are pleading for a magisterium namely scientific truths.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »

Who has done that? I haven’t seen it. Rather science is introduced when the religious attempt scientific truths

Who has done that? You are here of course confirming Jay Gould here since you are pleading for a magisterium namely scientific truths.

For once in your life, answer the question. 
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2015, 10:54:51 PM »

How patronising and angry.

Science versus religion is the subtext of arguments like the one we are having now.
Of Course this is where science is a subtle cover for and interchangeable with atheism.

Bluehillside ,of course, helps us out here when he says there is science or just guessing. Atheism is not science.......whether atheism is just guessing though........

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
Alien,

I'd change "Looking forward to hearing from the atheists who argued against me when I said that we know we exist and to seeing the tack they take now it is Outrider arguing this." to "Looking forward to hearing from the atheists who argued against me when I said that we know I exist and to seeing the tack they take now it is Outrider arguing this."

Again, this statement has nothing to do with atheism (so if anyone had said it, that they might happen to be atheists is no more relevant than would be, say, the fact that they are UKIP members). The most you can say with certainty is, “I know that something exists” and the rest is all probabilities. I don’t think Outrider is saying anything that contradicts this. 
As I said in an earlier post, I don't have access (i.e. can't find) the posts where this was discussed, so am not going to pursue this as I could well be putting words into people's mouths/keyboards.

I'm not sure you exist, but I do.

If you exist, I'd be interested in hearing you defend, "Further, there seems to me to be an inverse correlation at play here - the fewer the facts, the greater the certainty (eg religion); the greater the number of facts, the less the certainty (eg science)."

It’s simple enough: very often “faith” is used as a placemarker for facts – something you’ll readily acknowledge I think, at least in respect of the faiths that concern supernatural “somethings” you don’t think exist. “I’m certain that X exists because, while I have no verifiable facts to support me, that’s my faith” is a common enough position I’d have thought to make the point for me.
That is not how it is argued, as has been pointed out many, many times before. If you were to present something which Christians here actually put forward, then I am happy to argue for it (if I agree with that position put forward by those Christians), but I am not going to try to defend the position you describe above as that is a straw man.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »

Your post was not a scientific remark. Does that mean you were just guessing?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
Vlad,

Well now you have stated there is ''science and just guessing'' I'm sure you, being on the side of the angels, will subscribe to a policy of Sola scientia and remain silent about anything which isn't science.

Yours

looking forward to not hearing from you (unless it is about science)

Here's what actually happened.

You said: "Secondly, rather than science and religion, we should more correctly be talking about science and non science since any difference/conflict is being specially pleaded if we only consider religion."

To which I replied: "Or perhaps “science and just guessing”, but ok."

Notice that I characterised only religion as "just guessing" (presumably something with which you agree in respect of all the claims gods you don't think to exist). That though says nothing to whether we can't readily discuss aesthetics, morality etc when the proponents make no claims to objective factual truths.

The problem comes when theists say something like, "miracle X actually happened" and then look to naturalistic concepts like scientific evidence or the historical method to prove it and thus fall flat on their faces or, as in your case, when they just assert it and expect everyone else to take their claims seriously. 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
Alien,

You've missed the point. See 339.

God

Alien

« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Alien,

You've missed the point. See 339.
OK.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »
That is not how it is argued, as has been pointed out many, many times before. If you were to present something which Christians here actually put forward,
But if bhs or any of the others were to 'present something which Christians here actually put forward', alien, their arguments would sound even less convincing than they already do. ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »
Alien,
As I said in an earlier post, I don't have access (i.e. can't find) the posts where this was discussed, so am not going to pursue this as I could well be putting words into people's mouths/keyboards.

Okey-doke.

That is not how it is argued, as has been pointed out many, many times before. If you were to present something which Christians here actually put forward, then I am happy to argue for it (if I agree with that position put forward by those Christians), but I am not going to try to defend the position you describe above as that is a straw man.

Actually that’s exactly how it’s argued: the theist either reaches across to naturalistic disciplines like science and history to establish his claims (your approach), or he just asserts it and expects everyone else to accept his claims (Vlad’s approach).

The former seems to me to fail a priori in any case – if you want to posit the supernatural, how on earth would you expect the natural to demonstrate it? – but, even it didn’t, it only works when you set the evidential bar so low that any such conjecture would pass. If you think the resurrection is legit, how then would you deny the legitimacy of a prophet flying to heaven on a winged horse given equivalent “evidence”? If you think the universe to be 6,000 years old because an ancient book says so, how then would you deny the person who thinks it started last Tuesday because he has a different book that says so?

The latter on the other hand is just “not even wrong”: if someone thinks he’s established some objective facts because he’s “experienced” them, how then would he deny the truthfulness of the supposed facts of others who think just as sincerely as him that they’ve experienced them too? Now Vlad never troubles himself with such questions – he just throws sand in your eyes in the hope that no-one notices – but it’s the Grand Canyon-sized whole in the middle of his schtick nonetheless.

And so it goes… 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2015, 12:23:45 PM »
Hope,

But if bhs or any of the others were to 'present something which Christians here actually put forward', alien, their arguments would sound even less convincing than they already do. ;)

That's easily remedied: just finally post this "evidence" you claim to have posted already but no-one has ever been able to find and we'll address it.

Why the coyness?

God

Shaker

« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Hope,

That's easily remedied: just finally post this "evidence" you claim to have posted already but no-one has ever been able to find and we'll address it.

Why the coyness?
Don't be silly bluey; that would entail Hope actually providing back-up for some of his assertions, and the theist contingent here aren't in the habit of doing that.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »

Science versus religion is the subtext of arguments like the one we are having now.
Of Course this is where science is a subtle cover for and interchangeable with atheism.

Bluehillside ,of course, helps us out here when he says there is science or just guessing. Atheism is not science.......whether atheism is just guessing though........

Answer the question.  Who is using science interchangeably with atheism.  A name or an admission that you're lying is acceptable.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:41 PM »

Why the coyness?
The problem is that it has already been addressed by several people here, in the form of dismissal, bhs.  Whether you were part of that group I can't remember, but as I've been at pains to point out in recent weeks, the reason it is dismissed is purely because those same people can't fit it with their understanding that everything that occurs in life has to fit into a naturalistic framework.  One only has to look at the times that bits of the evidence have been posted by different folk over the last few months and simply poo-pooed.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »
The problem is that it has already been addressed by several people here, in the form of dismissal, bhs.  Whether you were part of that group I can't remember, but as I've been at pains to point out in recent weeks, the reason it is dismissed is purely because those same people can't fit it with their understanding that everything that occurs in life has to fit into a naturalistic framework.  One only has to look at the times that bits of the evidence have been posted by different folk over the last few months and simply poo-pooed.
So the evidence you're being asked to provide has already been provided by people arguing against it, is that what you're saying?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2015, 12:52:02 PM »
... the reason it is dismissed is purely because those same people can't fit it with their understanding that everything that occurs in life has to fit into a naturalistic framework. .

What other "framework" is there, apart from an imagined one?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
Hope,

Doesn't wash. On the one hand you accuse others of not addressing that which theists have "put forward", but on the other hand you not only refuse to put forward anything of your own to address, you then hide behind vague assertions that others have done so.

You're really not helping yourself one bit here are you?

God

Shaker

« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »
You'll knit sawdust before you get a straight answer to a straight question out of this one, blue.

Alien

« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
Alien,

Actually that’s exactly how it’s argued: the theist either reaches across to naturalistic disciplines like science and history to establish his claims (your approach),
Part of my approach is to point out that history is not naturalistic, despite the protestations of some here. Just repeating that it is is a bit weak and the sort of thing that Vlad points out to be the case.
or he just asserts it and expects everyone else to accept his claims (Vlad’s approach).
Really? I'll leave you and him to argue that out.

The former seems to me to fail a priori in any case – if you want to posit the supernatural, how on earth would you expect the natural to demonstrate it? – but, even it didn’t, it only works when you set the evidential bar so low that any such conjecture would pass.
Why? Though I posted (some months ago) the Bayesian probability calculation, there has been very little uptake. It might have been when you were away.
If you think the resurrection is legit, how then would you deny the legitimacy of a prophet flying to heaven on a winged horse given equivalent “evidence”? If you think the universe to be 6,000 years old because an ancient book says so, how then would you deny the person who thinks it started last Tuesday because he has a different book that says so?
How would I deny the legitimacy of the Mo flying to heaven? Firstly, I would question whether the Quran actually says he did that. I may be wrong, but I thought some Muslims (not sure how many) thought that was not what the text means. As for anyone claiming the universe is 6000 years old, I would point out that, assuming they are YECers, that this is not what the bible teaches anyway.

Back to Mo for a mo. If the Quran does actually claim he went for that ride, I would not attack that particular claim directly. If there is a God and he is the Muslim God then he could take Mo for such a trip, but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).

The latter on the other hand is just “not even wrong”: if someone thinks he’s established some objective facts because he’s “experienced” them, how then would he deny the truthfulness of the supposed facts of others who think just as sincerely as him that they’ve experienced them too?
There are times when we experience things which we cannot prove to others. This is, yet again, about the difference between being able to know something and being able to demonstrate something. It is stuff which has been discussed a number of times on this board. Let me bring up the example of Fred walking through the forest on his own and seeing the light through the trees in a particular way. He sees it. He knows he saw it, but he cannot demonstrate that he saw it to anyone (unless he recorded it on his camera, say).
Now, as I have said from time to time, I am loathe to try to use personal experience as evidence for other people to be convinced by since it has the problem you have raised. However, if it is consistent with other stuff known to be true, then it could be used as evidence, perhaps. For example, if someone had looked through some more objective evidence and come to the conclusion that this was good evidence (and there being insufficient good evidence against), then it may be OK to accept that personal stuff someone is speaking of (unless there is good reason not to). Maybe. Possibly.

It might be that God deals directly with a person and, say, give them an awareness that they are indeed a forgiven, child of God (them having repented and stuff). How would they convince other people of it? I don't know. Perhaps they can't. How would they know that their conviction was a correct conviction? If it is, then it should match up with facts obtainable elsewhere, I would suggest.
Now Vlad never troubles himself with such questions – he just throws sand in your eyes in the hope that no-one notices – but it’s the Grand Canyon-sized whole in the middle of his schtick nonetheless.

And so it goes…
I think you do a disservice. I don't read all his posts, but the ones I have read have repeatedly pointed out that some of the arguments put forward by those of an atheist ilk make a number of critical assumptions and doesn't get much response (at least not in the posts I have read).

Alien

« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »

Answer the question.  Who is using science interchangeably with atheism.  A name or an admission that you're lying is acceptable.
I'm not sure whether this is what Vlad meant, but there are some here who seem (to me, at least) who think that science implies (strong) atheism to be correct. Floo, for example. I could scour back and look up the occasions where Floo (bless her cotton socks) has said that she expects science will come up with all the answers for just about everything. Mind you, she does use language like "I suspect that...", so perhaps I am being a bit hard on her.

Shaker

« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
Part of my approach is to point out that history is not naturalistic, despite the protestations of some here.
Yes it is.

Unless of course you're going to do what you've so far signally failed to do despite innumerable requests and provide a methodology for assessing supernatural claims.

If there is a God and he is the Muslim God then he could take Mo for such a trip, but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).
This sort of twaddle is of course mere assertion, which we can ignore.

Alien

« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
... the reason it is dismissed is purely because those same people can't fit it with their understanding that everything that occurs in life has to fit into a naturalistic framework. .

What other "framework" is there, apart from an imagined one?
And thus Len designates all frameworks apart from the (philosophical?) naturalistic one as "imagined". It can't be true, because it is imaginary. Why is it imaginary, Len? Because it can't be true.

Etc.