Author Topic: Speaking in 'tongues'  (Read 193099 times)

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
Re: Speaking in 'tongues'
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
You'll knit sawdust before you get a straight answer to a straight question out of this one, blue.
Maybe not. BHS engages in actual discussion rather than the sort of sound bites you provide us with most of the time.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
Part of my approach is to point out that history is not naturalistic, despite the protestations of some here.
Yes it is.

Unless of course you're going to do what you've so far signally failed to do despite innumerable requests and provide a methodology for assessing supernatural claims.

If there is a God and he is the Muslim God then he could take Mo for such a trip, but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).
This sort of twaddle is of course mere assertion, which we can ignore.
So, do you think Islam is correct?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Shaker

« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »
Part of my approach is to point out that history is not naturalistic, despite the protestations of some here.
Yes it is.

Unless of course you're going to do what you've so far signally failed to do despite innumerable requests and provide a methodology for assessing supernatural claims.

If there is a God and he is the Muslim God then he could take Mo for such a trip, but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).
In what respect?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
You'll knit sawdust before you get a straight answer to a straight question out of this one, blue.
Maybe not. BHS engages in actual discussion rather than the sort of sound bites you provide us with most of the time.
Short, sweet and accurate is my watchword  ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alien

« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »
Yes it is.

In what respect?
Its claim that there is one God and that Mohammed is his messenger.

Alien

« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »
Short, sweet and accurate is my watchword  ;)
:)

Leonard James

« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Why is it imaginary, Len?

Because it is not based on any facts.

Alien

« Reply #332 on: September 11, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »

Why do you claim that, Len?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »
but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).

If a Muslim said ' but there is a God and he is not the Christian God so there is no good reason for thinking he would resurrect Jesus from being dead' they would seemingly be stating their case on the same basis that you have stated yours - that they can is surely as problematic for Christianity as you think yours is for Islam. 

Leonard James

« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »

Because it's true. There no facts that back up god stories.

Shaker

« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
Its claim that there is one God and that Mohammed is his messenger.
No. No more so than you do.

But then I disbelieve in all gods, or I wouldn't be an atheist.

Alien

« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).

If a Muslim said ' but there is a God and he is not the Christian God so there is no good reason for thinking he would resurrect Jesus from being dead' they would seemingly be stating their case on the same basis that you have stated yours - that they can is surely as problematic for Christianity as you think yours is for Islam.
Then we would need to look to see if there were sufficient grounds for believing Islam to be true. If it isn't, the night flight by Mohammed goes out of the window since there is not even a claim for evidence for it happening outside the Quran and Muslims claim that the Quran came entirely through Mohammed.
Compare this with the Christian claim for the resurrection of Jesus: Recording by at least 5 1st century authors of details of about a dozen individuals and groups who claimed to have met Jesus after his flogging and crucifixion, the empty tomb and the start of the Christian church.
Islam? Mo said he went on a night flight.

Alien

« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »

Because it's true. There no facts that back up god stories.
Why do you claim that, Len (without just repeating yourself)?

Shaker

« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
Because it's true - there are no facts that back up god stories.

Unless you can think of some, of course, in which case I'd be very interested to hear them.

Alien

« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »

Unless you can think of some, of course, in which case I'd be very interested to hear them.
As in there are nothing which you recognize as facts which back up god stories?

Shaker

« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »

No, as in no facts.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
Compare this with the Christian claim for the resurrection of Jesus: Recording by at least 5 1st century authors of details of about a dozen individuals and groups who claimed to have met Jesus after his flogging and crucifixion, the empty tomb and the start of the Christian church.
Islam? Mo said he went on a night flight.

Christians said Jesus was resurrected - so no real difference there then: just claims.

How do you know they weren't lying?

Alien

« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »

No, as in no facts.
Why do you think that to be the case? You are making a positive claim here and thus the burden of proof is yours.

Shaker

« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »
Why do you think that to be the case?
Because there are no facts that back up god stories.
You are making a positive claim here and thus the burden of proof is yours.
That's right, and I'm making that positive claim on the grounds that there are no facts which back up god stories.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »

Ah - so Christians have their own facts then?

Shaker

« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »

Some of them appear to, G  ::)

Alien

« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »

How do you know they weren't lying?
Because of the reasons given lots of times before which you seem to have missed. Do you really want me to go into this again or is this Gordon's WUM day?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:41:04 PM by Alien »

Alien

« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »
Why do you think that to be the case?
Because there are no facts that back up god stories.
You are making a positive claim here and thus the burden of proof is yours.
That's right, and I'm making that positive claim on the grounds that there are no facts which back up god stories.
OK, over to you to demonstrate your claim is correct. No hurry.

Alien

« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »

No, I did not claim that and you know I did not claim that. Naughty boy. For your punishment, go and watch Scotland play a game of rugby.

Shaker

« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2015, 03:40:53 PM »
OK, over to you to demonstrate your claim is correct. No hurry.
So you're asking me to prove a negative by demonstrating the absence of something which you already know to be the case, then?