Author Topic: Speaking in 'tongues'  (Read 193055 times)

Shaker

Re: Speaking in 'tongues'
« Reply #375 on: September 11, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Yeah  :(
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #376 on: September 11, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »
Alien,

Part of my approach is to point out that history is not naturalistic, despite the protestations of some here. Just repeating that it is is a bit weak and the sort of thing that Vlad points out to be the case.

You can try to “point that out” if you wish, but you’d be wrong to do so. Of course it’s naturalistic – what else could it be as it deals only with facts and evidence and records and interpretations and any manner of things that are entirely natural? If though you seriously think that history concerns itself with the non-natural/supernatural, then by all means have a go at explaining how it does so.

This incidentally is where you go wrong when you attempt analogies with athletes and the like. For that to work, you’d need to say something more like, “Fred ran the 100m in 12 seconds, then there’s a folk myth that he turned into a shape-shifting lizard, then there are records that he won the 1,500m” or some such. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and all that, and not less evidence than we’d need to have any degree of certainty about a supposed event that happened some 150 years before, at a time when any manner of beliefs in spooks were prevalent, that no-one bothered recording at the time, that could readily be explained by natural means etc etc. And when you set the evidence bar as low as that then of course you have no defence against any other tale of the supernatural either.

Really? I'll leave you and him to argue that out.

By all means, but you’ll find his entire argument to be, “I experienced it” nonetheless.

Why? Though I posted (some months ago) the Bayesian probability calculation, there has been very little uptake. It might have been when you were away.

Sounds like more WLC wrongheadedness to me, but by all means provide a link if you’d like to.

How would I deny the legitimacy of the Mo flying to heaven? Firstly, I would question whether the Quran actually says he did that. I may be wrong, but I thought some Muslims (not sure how many) thought that was not what the text means. As for anyone claiming the universe is 6000 years old, I would point out that, assuming they are YECers, that this is not what the bible teaches anyway.

Back to Mo for a mo. If the Quran does actually claim he went for that ride, I would not attack that particular claim directly. If there is a God and he is the Muslim God then he could take Mo for such a trip, but there is a God and he is not the Muslim God so there is no good reason for thinking he would take Mo for such a ride (that I know of).

You’re missing it. If you think that something was factually true because a book you think to be holy says so, what defence do you have against the claims of any other books that other think to be holy with just as much conviction and faith as you do? That’s what happens when you set the bar so low for your beliefs – pretty much any other claim of equal provenance makes it over too.

Are they all true then and, if not, why not? 

There are times when we experience things which we cannot prove to others.

But how then would you establish that you actually “know” them, rather than are mistaken for any number of reasons? You might for example be convinced that a god has been speaking to you, when all along your speaker cables were just picking up junk radio signals and playing them. It's the attribution of cause that's the problem, not the fact of the "experience".

This is, yet again, about the difference between being able to know something and being able to demonstrate something.

No it isn’t, at least not until you’ve been able to provide a method to show beyond reasonable doubt that you do in fact “know” it in the first place, rather than just believe it – with all the risks of misattribution etc that involves.

It is stuff which has been discussed a number of times on this board. Let me bring up the example of Fred walking through the forest on his own and seeing the light through the trees in a particular way. He sees it. He knows he saw it, but he cannot demonstrate that he saw it to anyone (unless he recorded it on his camera, say).

But that’s not a problem – there’s any number of reasons that might explain the light. The moment though he insists that this light was in fact, say, the ghost of Pocahontas then the problems begin.

Now, as I have said from time to time, I am loathe to try to use personal experience as evidence for other people to be convinced by since it has the problem you have raised. However, if it is consistent with other stuff known to be true, then it could be used as evidence, perhaps. For example, if someone had looked through some more objective evidence and come to the conclusion that this was good evidence (and there being insufficient good evidence against), then it may be OK to accept that personal stuff someone is speaking of (unless there is good reason not to). Maybe. Possibly.

In what way would, say, a claim about a resurrection be consistent with anything we know about the way the universe actually works? If on the other hand the claim was just, say, “Jesus liked his fish and chips of a Friday” then there’s be no particular reason to doubt it and it would be accepted – at least provisionally.

It might be that God deals directly with a person and, say, give them an awareness that they are indeed a forgiven, child of God (them having repented and stuff). How would they convince other people of it? I don't know. Perhaps they can't. How would they know that their conviction was a correct conviction? If it is, then it should match up with facts obtainable elsewhere, I would suggest.

More to the point, how would they convince themselves without first troubling to eliminate every other possible explanation?

I think you do a disservice. I don't read all his posts, but the ones I have read have repeatedly pointed out that some of the arguments put forward by those of an atheist ilk make a number of critical assumptions and doesn't get much response (at least not in the posts I have read).

No, so far as  know he’s never once – not ever ever ever – answered a question, despite demanding countless answers from others. His only effort in the direction you suggest rests on his misunderstanding of philosophical materialism, which he’s had corrected many times but he returns to it nonetheless. Essentially his schtick is “I experienced it so it’s true for you too” but he’s never shown any awareness of the problems that gives him.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #377 on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
Alien,

Part of my approach is to point out that history is not naturalistic, despite the protestations of some here. Just repeating that it is is a bit weak and the sort of thing that Vlad points out to be the case.

You can try to “point that out” if you wish, but you’d be wrong to do so. Of course it’s naturalistic
I don't think historians reject gospel accounts because they do not follow the doctrines of philosophical naturalism. Nor conversely would any academics be drummed out for treating the gospel accounts as historical evidence.

I think the philosophical naturalism of history is, as described something merely asserted. And as it is a positive one someone around here has the burden of proof.

Shaker

« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
I think the philosophical naturalism of history is, as described something merely asserted. And as it is a positive one someone around here has the burden of proof.
You really do need to seek help for this monomaniacal idée fixe* with philosophical naturalism you so boringly have.

In the field of history methodological naturalism is perfectly sufficient  :)

* "An idée fixe is a preoccupation of mind believed to be firmly resistant to any attempt to modify it, a fixation. The name originates from the French idée, "idea" and fixe, "fixed." Although not used technically to denote a particular disorder in psychology, idée fixe is used often in the description of disorders, and is employed widely in literature and everyday English ... As an everyday term, idée fixe may indicate a mindset akin to prejudice or stereotyping ... However, idée fixe has also a pathological dimension, denoting serious psychological issues ... Idée fixe began as a parent category of obsession, and as a preoccupation of mind the idée fixe resembles today's obsessive-compulsive disorder: although the afflicted person can think, reason and act like other people, they are unable to stop a particular train of thought or action. However, in obsessive-compulsive disorder, the victim recognizes the absurdity of the obsession or compulsion, not necessarily the case with an idée fixe, which normally is a delusion." - Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:38:01 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #379 on: September 11, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »
You really do need to seek help for this monomaniacal idée fixe with philosophical naturalism you so boringly have.

History is not science though Shakes. The Gospel accounts can therefore be treated as historical evidence so it is hard to see how history is a natural fit with er, methodological naturalism.

Shaker

« Reply #380 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »
History is not science though Shakes.
And plumbing isn't quantum electrodynamics. Nevertheless, history is naturalistic, because there's no methodology for assessing supernatural claims.

People like Hope and Alien think there is and claim there is, but every single time without fail or exception they're asked to substantiate this, they shit it.

The Gospel accounts can therefore be treated as historical evidence so it is hard to see how history is a natural fit with er, methodological naturalism.
No they can't.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:41:07 PM by Shaker »

Andy

« Reply #381 on: September 11, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
You really do need to seek help for this monomaniacal idée fixe with philosophical naturalism you so boringly have.

History is not science though Shakes. The Gospel accounts can therefore be treated as historical evidence so it is hard to see how history is a natural fit with er, methodological naturalism.

Then you'll have no problem using the historical method to determine when a god has or hasn't intervened. Off you pop.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #382 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »

Then you'll have no problem using the historical method to determine when a god has or hasn't intervened. Off you pop.
No, what I am saying is that there is no historical reason to reject the miracle accounts as being historical evidence. History cannot probably establish whether God was the cause.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
Other than history as it is taught in all UK universities being methodologically naturalistic. Got a supernatural history method, Vlad?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #384 on: September 11, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
Other than history as it is taught in all UK universities being methodologically naturalistic. Got a supernatural history method, Vlad?
Again. History doesn't reject accounts of unique events Nearly even if they don't fit in with what is considered natural.

Andy

« Reply #385 on: September 11, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »

No, what I am saying is that there is no historical reason to reject the miracle accounts as being historical evidence. History cannot probably establish whether God was the cause.
Miracle accounts being historical evidence for what exactly?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #386 on: September 11, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »

Miracle accounts being historical evidence for what exactly?
Sorry Andy, but there is no warrant in the study of history to discard or discount a record of a unique event as evidence even though it does not fit the description of a ''natural'' event.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
Again. History doesn't reject accounts of unique events Nearly even if they don't fit in with what is considered natural.

History as a method and a subject does. Do you have a method of doing history other than is taught at all British universities? If you do, please outline.

Andy

« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »
I'm not equating a unique event with a miracle - you are.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #389 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
The trouble is history cannot reject unique events since that is the raw material of history. History therefore has no mechanism for weeding out that which isn't considered natural without undermining it's own methodology.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »
Sorry Andy, but there is no warrant in the study of history to discard or discount a record of a unique event as evidence even though it does not fit the description of a ''natural'' event.

Surely though there is the need with any historical record to assess the risks of mistakes, bias or lies - so how have you tackled these aspects? 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
The trouble is history cannot reject unique events since that is the raw material of history. History therefore has no mechanism for weeding out that which isn't considered natural without undermining it's own methodology.
unique does not mean supernatural and history as it is studied and is a method is naturalistic.

Andy

« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2015, 08:34:17 PM »
Don't think that your switch from miracle account to unique event has gone unnoticed.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »

History as a method and a subject does. Do you have a method of doing history other than is taught at all British universities? If you do, please outline.
How does it do that( reject unique event records which do not fit into the term natural )without undermining it's own method which is the study of unique events as well as ceremonial ones?

What is special about British universities?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
Don't think that your switch from miracle account to unique event has gone unnoticed.
Oh so miracles don't come in the unique event category now?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
unique does not mean supernatural and history as it is studied and is a method is naturalistic.
Firstly, how are supernatural events not unique?
Secondly, How does rejecting events recorded on the ground of not fitting the term not contradict the method of history which is to study recorded events?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »

How does it do that( reject unique event records which do not fit into the term natural )without undermining it's own method which is the study of unique events as well as ceremonial ones?

What is special about British universities?

Can you stop lying about what I say? I didn’t say it rejects unique events, just that it is methodologically naturalistic. As to British universities, nothing special, just the places I understand because I got my degrees there.

Any method for the supernatural from a British or other university in history?

Andy

« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Oh so miracles don't come in the unique event category now?
No idea, thought you were the expert on these things?
Do miracles have to be unique? I would've thought though that you would understand that something unique doesn't equal miracle, but hey ho.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2015, 08:45:53 PM »
The sneeze I just made is historically unique, but not supernatural. Unless you have a method for the supernatural, Vlad? Got one? Anything? After hundreds of asks? Anything? A smudge? A tiny klingon? A picayune idea?

Andy

« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »
The sneeze I just made is historically unique, but not supernatural. Unless you have a method for the supernatural, Vlad? Got one? Anything? After hundreds of asks? Anything? A smudge? A tiny klingon? A picayune idea?

Maybe it's impossible to sneeze without divine intervention?