Author Topic: Speaking in 'tongues'  (Read 193585 times)

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
Re: Speaking in 'tongues'
« Reply #800 on: September 30, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
but from the comparisons I have seen in "Four Gospels, One Christ" by Richard Burridge that would seem to be the most sensible conclusion. If that is correct then Mark intended us to believe that he was writing fact. As I say, that does not, per se, mean that Mark was accurate in his account, but it does tell us how to read the gospel.

The Gospels are unique, which is still widespread among biblical scholars.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Spud

« Reply #801 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
You seem confused, Spud: on one hand you say that you understand the view that some NT events don't 'warrant belief', which seems like an acknowledgement that the NT may not be wholly reliable,
It is an acknowledgement that the default position on miracles is skepticism.
and then you suggest you have an 'understanding' that assumes these events did occur.
My understanding of what, according to Mark, happened and why, according to Mark, it happened, confirms, rather than assumes, that these events did occur.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #802 on: September 30, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
You seem confused, Spud: on one hand you say that you understand the view that some NT events don't 'warrant belief', which seems like an acknowledgement that the NT may not be wholly reliable,
It is an acknowledgement that the default position on miracles is skepticism.
and then you suggest you have an 'understanding' that assumes these events did occur.

My understanding of what, according to Mark, happened and why, according to Mark, it happened, confirms, rather than assumes, that these events did occur.

How do you know, as opposed to accept on a personal basis, that those involved in the writing of Mark weren't fabricating bits of it?

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #803 on: September 30, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
As it happened that was just before God brought two Muslims into our church one day...
How do you determine that it was a god who brought them?
Long story.
Evasion noted.
Let me clarify my previous statement. To accept that God had brought them to our church would require you to accept that God exists. That would be a necessary requirement (though not sufficient). Do you want to start yet another discussion on whether God exists? I don't, at least not here.
It doesn't matter. I could be a deist, heck I could even be a theist who believes a god intervenes in the world but just doesn't know how to determine when, and still ask.
2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 1 Timothy 2:4 says, "(God) who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." Stuff like that seems to indicate that when they asked God to guide he did.

I'm just checking they were considered lovely before their conversion.
By whom?
Well you said it so I'm asking you and not Margaret or whoever sits next to you in church.
I hardly knew them before they became Christians. They certainly seemed nice. Why are you so interested? In my post I said that they were/are lovely Christians.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #804 on: September 30, 2015, 01:28:59 PM »
It was part of attempting to show that the person on whom Islam depends entirely was a caravan-robbing man who killed another man and slept with the dead man's wife that same day and who also got engaged to a 6 year old, but did not consummate the marriage until she was 9.
And the god you believe in allowed him to rob caravans, kill another man and sleep with his wife the same day and rape a 9 year old. But of course...
What is the point you are trying to make?
To highlight your hypocrisy brought about through theodicy.
How?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #805 on: September 30, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
Would you be OK with me starting a new thread and quoting you there to this efffect?

What again?
Yes, in the past you have spoken about the gospels having discrepancies. I'm encouraged that have cut out the waffle and are making a worthwhile claim about contradictions. If you think there are contradictions, please specify some.

Grow up. Some stuff is arranged thematically. If you didn't realise that, perhaps it would not be a good idea to brag about your ignorance.

No you grow up silly billy, lighten up Alien twas tongue in cheek.
Some light stuff is very welcome, but you seem to be doing mostly that these days. In the past you used to hold some serious discussions.

Hoppity seemed to suggest that many mainstream Christians think the Gospels are not chronologically accurate.

You agree with this statement?
No, I do not agree that he was claiming that. What I think he was claiming (and Hope can confirm or deny) that some stuff in the gospels is arranged thematically rather than all chronologically. For example, Mark starts with Jesus' baptism and ends with his death and resurrection. Some of the stuff is arranged thematically.

To complain about it not being "chronologically accurate" is as sensible as claiming that http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php#c2 is not chronologically accurate.

Alien

« Reply #806 on: September 30, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »
but from the comparisons I have seen in "Four Gospels, One Christ" by Richard Burridge that would seem to be the most sensible conclusion. If that is correct then Mark intended us to believe that he was writing fact. As I say, that does not, per se, mean that Mark was accurate in his account, but it does tell us how to read the gospel.

The Gospels are unique, which is still widespread among biblical scholars.
Please quote your sources.

Andy

« Reply #807 on: September 30, 2015, 01:51:54 PM »
It doesn't matter. I could be a deist, heck I could even be a theist who believes a god intervenes in the world but just doesn't know how to determine when, and still ask.
2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 1 Timothy 2:4 says, "(God) who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." Stuff like that seems to indicate that when they asked God to guide he did.

1. That wasn't a long story after all (yet still made me snooze).

2. Why should I care what the Bible says in order to consider it authoritative on such matters?

I hardly knew them before they became Christians. They certainly seemed nice. Why are you so interested? In my post I said that they were/are lovely Christians.
I'm just buffering my belief that you consider people to be lovely regardless of whether they are Christian or not. Sometimes you're very "us and them", so it needs a nudge.

Andy

« Reply #808 on: September 30, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »
How?
Well to start off, do you believe god can do something that is not good?

Alien

« Reply #809 on: September 30, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »

2. Why should I care what the Bible says in order to consider it authoritative on such matters?
You have missed the point. I said that in order to demonstrate it was God, it would be necessary for you to believe that God exists (plus some other stuff). You then claimed stuff about what a theist would think, so I took that to mean you were, for the sake of this particular point, i.e. "for the sake of argument", accepting God's existence. I then quoted from the bible and you then ask why you (as an atheist?) should care about what the bible says. Are you, for the sake of argument, accepting God's existence or not? If so then do you expect me to demonstrate the reliability of the bible? If you do, then it would be a long discussion ("long story").  Please explain what your position is. Do you need me to demonstrate that God exists and that the God that exists is the Christian God and that the bible is reliable or what?

I'm just buffering my belief that you consider people to be lovely regardless of whether they are Christian or not. Sometimes you're very "us and them", so it needs a nudge.
OK, buffer away.

Alien

« Reply #810 on: September 30, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »
How?
No.

Andy

« Reply #811 on: September 30, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »

You have missed the point. I said that in order to demonstrate it was God, it would be necessary for you to believe that God exists (plus some other stuff). You then claimed stuff about what a theist would think, so I took that to mean you were, for the sake of this particular point, i.e. "for the sake of argument", accepting God's existence. I then quoted from the bible and you then ask why you (as an atheist?) should care about what the bible says. Are you, for the sake of argument, accepting God's existence or not? If so then do you expect me to demonstrate the reliability of the bible? If you do, then it would be a long discussion ("long story").  Please explain what your position is. Do you need me to demonstrate that God exists and that the God that exists is the Christian God and that the bible is reliable or what?

I'm still saying I can be a deist/theist and ask these questions. As you know, Christianity does not equal theism. If you quote the Bible as if it's authoritative on such matters, then it follows, quite simply, to ask why I should believe it to be the case.

Andy

« Reply #812 on: September 30, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »
How?
No.
Right, so it follows that everything god does is good.

Do you believe that if it's good to stop Mohammed raping a 9 year old, then god would stop him?

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #813 on: September 30, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
Yes, in the past you have spoken about the gospels having discrepancies. I'm encouraged that have cut out the waffle and are making a worthwhile claim about contradictions. If you think there are contradictions, please specify some.

We discussed this some time back looked at the definition, e.g. something that is inconsistent is contradictory, and  it was left there as I recall. I don't think there is much point in going over things again.

Some light stuff is very welcome, but you seem to be doing mostly that these days. In the past you used to hold some serious discussions.

Quite happy to discuss objective morality, fine tuning, kalam, old boy, you seem to have parked those. You seem to focus on the Bible which in turn ends up being about theology.

No, I do not agree that he was claiming that. What I think he was claiming (and Hope can confirm or deny) that some stuff in the gospels is arranged thematically rather than all chronologically. For example, Mark starts with Jesus' baptism and ends with his death and resurrection. Some of the stuff is arranged thematically.

To complain about it not being "chronologically accurate" is as sensible as claiming that http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php#c2 is not chronologically accurate.

I agree perhaps Hop will clarify his statement.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Spud

« Reply #814 on: September 30, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »
How do you know, as opposed to accept on a personal basis, that those involved in the writing of Mark weren't fabricating bits of it?
By the way the three other evangelists verify Mark, by adding details apparently supplied by different eyewitnesses. See #821.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #815 on: September 30, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
By the way the three other evangelists verify Mark, by adding details apparently supplied by different eyewitnesses. See #821.

Same question: how do you know that there isn't fabrication involved?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #816 on: September 30, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
Alien,

Your statement demonstrates some of the problems in your approach. Thank you for the (sort of) compliment, but my arguments for the Resurrection are not based on personal incredulity…

On the contrary. When it's pointed out that there is any number of possible naturalistic explanations for the story, your response is, “what are the chances of that then?”. That’s what the argument from personal incredulity is.

…my arguments about objective morality are not based on mere assertion (but demonstrate the choice of either there being no objective morality and hence nothing has a moral obligation on you and me or that there is objective morality and there needing to be a basis for it)

“Moral obligation” (ie, why we behave as we do) is readily explicable without inventing OM, and you precisely assert OM into existence in any case by insisting that (in some so far unexplained way) lots of people sharing a specific moral opinion means it must also be objectively true.

That’s what argument by assertion is.

…and my account of two Muslims becoming Christians is not meant to demonstrate the existence of God, but was an aside in a post where I was responding to the claim that I was unable to differentiate between claims in the Bible and other holy books.

Yet after the anecdote you added a “God is good!” to imply that a god did it.

That’s what generalising from the anecdotal is.

Apart from that though….

You seem to misunderstand me (or are otherwise confused). Having the same tools does not mean that people will necessarily come to the same conclusion. Surely you understand that, don't you. People can misuse the evidence they have. That is what some Global Flooders do. They claim to have scientific evidence of a global flood, yet are incorrect in their conclusions. Similarly economists can come to different conclusions.

Doesn’t wash. You claim to have reasoned your way to Islam being wrong and the faith with which you happen to be most familiar being right. I merely ask what tools or method you have to do that that have escaped the attention of countless muslim scholars over the centuries to give you such remarkable confidence in your finding.

Have you ever studied Islam in depth? I have, but have you? Please answer me on this, because if you have not then I would suggest you need to do so before telling me that I am not capable of determining whether the claims of Islam are indistinguishable from those of Christianity, particularly in what their holy books claim.

I didn’t say that the claims of Islam are indistinguishable from those of Christianity – of course they’re not. The content of their medieval superstitions are clearly different from the content of your iron age superstitions. The foundational premises though are the same: deciding that a god is necessary to explain the otherwise inexplicable; the absence of a coherent definition of the deities, and the absence too of cogent arguments for their existence; dogma rather than developing understanding through testing and falsification; various miracle stories to convince the credulous; carrot and stick threats and promises to keep the cowed and gullible in thrall to the clerics etc.

Not here. It is not necessary to have read all 100,000 or more other god narratives to:

i) come to the reasonable conclusion that Islam is fundamentally wrong.

ii) come to the reasonable conclusion that Christianity is fundamentally right.

i) might well be a reasonable conclusion, but ii) is not. The point though is that you attempt to take me to task for not having an in-depth understanding of the window dressing of one faith rather than another. If you really think that to be relevant, then you have no choice but to apply the same “logic” to the window dressing of the countless other faiths – who’s to say that you wouldn’t find one or more of them to be more persuasive than the one you happen to have picked (and, by a remarkable co-incidence, are most enculturated to)?

Are you seriously suggesting that if you Alien, hadn’t been brought up in, say, Peshawar, you wouldn’t be making exactly the same claims about the truth/falseness of the two faiths mutatis mutandis?

Seriously?

For i), I have already given some basic info, which you have not actually interacted with yet. Until you do that I will not waste my time supplying more info.

You don’t need to provide info (let alone the ad hominem you actually provided). I can already reason my way to the finding that the truths of Islam are rationally unsupportable.

For ii), you and I disagree fundamentally about Christianity, but if something demonstrated Christianity (or some other world view) is correct, then it does not need anyone to look at all the rest to know that that world view is correct. For example, if, for the sake of argument, it can be demonstrated that Jesus is indeed the Son of God and what he says is true, then if he says A and another religion claims something incompatible with A, then the other religion must be false (at least on that point).

Sort of. First, you have no means of demonstrating such a thing. Second though, you’d also need to demonstrate that this “god” had somehow managed to eliminate the possibility of any other gods. Who’s to say that the Melanesian Tree Frog God hasn’t just made the christian god think he’s the only game in town?

<sigh/>It does not need to have happened. Islam holds Mohammed to be the supreme example of how to live. Some years ago I spent many hours discussing with a Muslim online (an Osama Bin Laden fan) who said that Mohammed never sinned (and that you should wipe your bum with an odd number of stones rather than use toilet paper!). If that is mainstream Muslim view then, if having sex with a 9 year old is morally wrong, then we have an example of a so-called sinless person sinning. If he did really have sex with the 9 year old then he actually sinned; if it never actually happened, we still have a religion holding up as the prime example of living who is depicted as a sinner. That is all. This is not complicated.

Bigger sigh. The point you’ve missed is that you attempted a character assassination on the basis of stories. Whether those stories lead to internal contradictions in the claims of muslims is a separate issue. I find the claims of Islam to be as bonkers as the claims of your faith, but bonkers or not you cannot dismiss one faith instead of another on the basis that its stories are all true. 

I don't know. However, Romeo is not being held up as an example for us to follow by a religion and she was 5 years old so, on two accounts, that is not a very good analogy.

Of course it’s a good analogy – you tried your ad hominem by applying contemporary moral standards to a 14th century narrative. The use people then made of the players involved in those stories is a separate matter – all that’s being said here is that applying morality anachronistically is just bad thinking.

Again, this is not relevant and you would understand better if you had a better understanding of Christianity and at least a basic understanding of Islam. Hence my question to you about whether you have ever looked at Islam in depth.

Yes, in the Bible God is involved with lots of "wretched sinners", but their behaviour is not held up as the behaviour we should imitate. Come on, BHS, this is dead simple stuff.

Yet again, you miss the point. You invited us to dismiss Mohammed as a witness because of his (supposed) character traits in other areas of his life. That’s just bad reasoning for reasons I explained, and moreover it would rule out the credibility of various “sinners” from your faith who you do think to be reliable witnesses. Whether any of these people is being “held up as the behaviour we should imitate” is neither here nor there: the point you were attempting was that the witness credibility of one of them (but only one of them) fails because of his other character traits. And that point fails.

Come on Alien, this is dead simple stuff.

Yet again, you have misunderstood and would, hopefully, not do so if you had a basic understanding of Islam, the religion you tell me I am unable to compare properly with Christianity.

Yet again, no I haven’t but you have. You introduced lurid stories about a figure from Islam in an attempt to discredit that figure in other areas of his life. That’s what ad hominem is, and it’s just more bad thinking on your part.

Look, as I have said above and which I will repeat now in the hope that you will see that you do not yet have the understanding of Islam to make the claims above, Mohammed is held up as the example for Muslims to follow in everything (except the number of wives, apparently). Islam relies totally on whether Mohammed was used by God to give his final revelation to mankind. If Mohammed was not a suitable person to do that, e.g. if he was a liar, mentally unstable, was a rapist, was a paedophile or whatever, then that means there is no good reason to accept the Quran as God's word. It is that simple. Islam relies totally on Mohammed.

And still you’re completely missing the point. Mohammed may well be held up by muslims as an exemplar of moral rectitude, but even if you accept wholesale the stories about him, even if you apply anachronistically morality you happen to approve of, and even if you successfully discredit him with irrelevancies and casually indulge in a character assassination to boot, all of that would still have nothing whatever to say to whether or not his pronouncements were morally good or bad.

If a murderer says “murder is wrong” is “murder is wrong” thereby incorrect, or has he merely failed to adhere to his own moral opinion?

By all means critique Islam (or any other faith) if you wish, but playing the man rather than the ball really isn’t he way to do it.

Really.

Yes, some Christians become atheists and think they are following reason.

So Allah is good then, or will you treat us to more special pleading to get you off that hook?

My point was not that the those two becoming Christians demonstrates that Christianity is correct. You said, "Why not just give them a call to explain where they've gone wrong?" I gave an example where I did just that (except that they themselves came calling). If you didn't actually mean anything by your, "Why not just give them a call to explain where they've gone wrong?", why write it?

Because you followed the anecdote with, “God is good!” Why did you do that if you didn’t think that the anecdote lead to that conclusion?

Oh look, BHS claims that Christians have not come to Christianity by following reason. Certainly some (many?) have not, but plenty have. It was a large part of my conversion and of some people with bigger brains than I have.

Yet that reason collapses into faith when you examine it. That’s why your and other faith claims are not taught as facts in schools (except some odd ones) but instead are taught only as, “these are the things that some people believe”. Funny that don’t you think, given the “reason” you think underpins your faith beliefs? Why would anyone treat your “reason” so radically differently from the reason used to support physics or maths or chemistry or geography or….

There you go again. Straw man. Of course, if a person (theist, atheist or whatever) "descends into logical fallacy" there is a problem. You assume that this is what all Christians do, yet cannot see the logical fallacies of your own position.

You find one and I’ll see it.

Good luck with that!

Yes, it is a belief. Strong atheism is a belief that there is no God/god. Weak atheism (your position I gather) is that there is insufficient evidence to believe that there is a God/god.

First, as we’ve discussed before I don’t recognise the two types – so far as I know no-one says “there categorically can be no gods” and the “strong atheism” schtick sounds to me like an attempt by the religious to shift the burden of proof.

Second, what you (wrongly} describe as “weak” atheism is in fact the finding that all arguments made so far for an objectively true god are fallacious.

God got them to walk there.

Amazing innit the stuff you can casuistically retrofit to any observable fact at all. Besides, you’re clearly wrong about that – it was deffo the Nigerian Ant God who made them do it. 

You might be correct. Which other anecdotes have I used, bearing in mind I am "fond of using anecdote as if it were in some way illustrative of a larger principle or truth"?

Resurrection stories? Lots of (though not all) people thinking that TACTDJFF is morally wrong?

Oh look, another straw man.

Let’s see shall we…

I am not shrugging my shoulders. For starters, the existence of evil does not demonstrate the non-existence of loving God.

It does if you think there to be an omnibenevolent and omniscient and omnipotent god, and the “it’s a mystery”, “He has a plan” etc schtick is precisely shrugging your shoulders.

Why not address the problem instead?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me like you are relying on "personal incredulity".

You’re corrected. It’s no such thing.

You say, "As the observable facts are just as you’d expect them to be with no god at all." You will surely be aware that this does not itself imply that there is no God (loving or not).

Yes I am, which is why I didn’t say that it does imply that there is no god. What I did imply though was, well, "As the observable facts are just as you’d expect them to be with no god at all" and that’s all. You know, the thing I actually said rather than your straw man version of it.

What it does do though is to give a pretty big logical problem for those who claim a god of the omnis – the problem you ducked.

You need to demonstrate that the observable facts show there is not god at all, not just that it is compatible with there being no god at all.

I need to do such thing. All I need to do is to show that the world is just as you’d expect it to be with no god at all, for example that bad things happen to good people and vice versa.

You were speaking earlier of Christians and logical fallacies. You've got into one yourself here. I realise that some of your atheist friends here won't understand the difference, but surely you yourself do.

Oh dear – you’re very confused. There’s no logical fallacy, just an observable truth. The contradiction at least though that there is is yours: claim a god of the omnis if you wish, but you have then to deal with the observable facts that contradict that claim.

So…

…no straw man at all then, except that is your your misdescription of what I had said.

Ah well.

OK, support your claim with reason or evidence.

A bit rich from you of all people, but OK – which “claim” do you want me to support exactly?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:54:45 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alien

« Reply #817 on: September 30, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »

I'm still saying I can be a deist/theist and ask these questions. As you know, Christianity does not equal theism. If you quote the Bible as if it's authoritative on such matters, then it follows, quite simply, to ask why I should believe it to be the case.
I agree, you do not need to see the Bible as authoritative if you are a theist or deist.

Are you asking me to demonstrate that the Bible is authoritative each time I make a claim about something Christian?

Alien

« Reply #818 on: September 30, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
How?
No.

Do you believe that if it's good to stop Mohammed raping a 9 year old, then god would stop him?
That is a simplistic question. To use an analogy that I have used a number of times before, the responsibility of an ordinary soldier might be to try to stop the enemy advancing at all costs. However, the general, knowing the bigger picture (with God, the whole picture), may decide it is best to allow the enemy to succeed in certain situations. Thus what is the duty of an ordinary soldier may not be the duty of the general. Similarly, your and my duty (to try to stop someone raping a 9 year old girl) may not be what God ought to do.

Now, before anyone starts, I am not claiming that this demonstrates that God exists or thereby is morally perfect or whatever. I am, however, claiming that, him knowing the whole picture, his correct course of action may be different to what you and I should do.

Alien

« Reply #819 on: September 30, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »

We discussed this some time back looked at the definition, e.g. something that is inconsistent is contradictory, and  it was left there as I recall. I don't think there is much point in going over things again.
OK.

Quite happy to discuss objective morality, fine tuning, kalam, old boy, you seem to have parked those. You seem to focus on the Bible which in turn ends up being about theology.
I'm unable to discuss too many things at once, despite being 21000+ posts to the good.

I agree perhaps Hop will clarify his statement.
OK with that.

Alien

« Reply #820 on: September 30, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

How do we know you are not a robot stuck on asking the same thing each time? An updated version of the Floo robot, perhaps?

Andy

« Reply #821 on: September 30, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »

I agree, you do not need to see the Bible as authoritative if you are a theist or deist.

Are you asking me to demonstrate that the Bible is authoritative each time I make a claim about something Christian?
If you can demonstrate it I should only have to ask the once.

Andy

« Reply #822 on: September 30, 2015, 06:15:11 PM »
How?
No.

That is a simplistic question.
Are you going to answer it now?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: September 30, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »

How do we know you are not a robot stuck on asking the same thing each time? An updated version of the Floo robot, perhaps?

Evasion noted.

Why not answer my question: how have you assessed the risks of fabrication and propaganda in the NT content?

It is a reasonable question after all. 

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #824 on: September 30, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »
Alien,

Maybe just throw in the odd, "it's my personal faith belief that the bible (or the bits of it that suit me at least) is authoritative" from time-to-time for the avoidance of any confusion?
"Don't make me come down there."

God