Author Topic: The flying motorbike  (Read 3575 times)

Outrider

Re: The flying motorbike
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2690468/That-motorbike-FLYING-Gyrocopter-hit-112mph-land-air-goes-sale.html

YE GODS! ::) That contraption is an accident waiting to happen!

Or, as we like to call them, a motorbike... :)

Seriously, I'd love a go in one of those... I just need the bike-license, I guess. And the helicopter licence. And the money. And a divorce...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
That ain't a bike, Vlad - too many wheels for a start, and with at a top speed of just 112mph it must be gutless in terms of fun. Plus it isn't blue, and it doesn't say 'Suzuki' on the tank  :)

Saying that - I cope cope with having one of those in the garage as well.

Spud

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »
How about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjHbUKxrEkE
Human powered flight

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
Where are you going to land and take off from?
Your local dual carriageway?   ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 03:57:11 PM »
Hope

In view of recent events your post 10 does seem rather tasteless, I'd have to say.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »
Hope

In view of recent events your post 10 does seem rather tasteless, I'd have to say.
Sorry, I hadn't read the details of the Shoreham incident (I assume that's what you're referring to) until about 10 minutes ago.  Maph garnos (Nepali for 'My apologies').
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Spud

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:14:30 AM »
Very sad to hear about the Shoreham incident. On the subject of flying: when I was at school I had a few lessons. One of these was in a Chipmunk at Manston in Kent. The experience put me off flying with the RAF, which was my ambition at the time. I was looking forward to the aerobatics, and I quite enjoyed the barrel roll and the stall part of the stall-turn. But I didn't like when you pull out of a loop or a dive. The g-forces are quite uncomfortable. In a Chipmunk they only go up to about 3x the force of gravity, but I still found that pretty unpleasant.
Also the gear you had to wear is so tight you can't stand up straight.

Outrider

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:21:06 AM »
Very sad to hear about the Shoreham incident. On the subject of flying: when I was at school I had a few lessons. One of these was in a Chipmunk at Manston in Kent. The experience put me off flying with the RAF, which was my ambition at the time. I was looking forward to the aerobatics, and I quite enjoyed the barrel roll and the stall part of the stall-turn. But I didn't like when you pull out of a loop or a dive. The g-forces are quite uncomfortable. In a Chipmunk they only go up to about 3x the force of gravity, but I still found that pretty unpleasant.

I flew Chipmunks out of Cambridge airport in the late 80's and early 90's as a cadet, and loved it. Managed to get a solo glider flight in the summer of '91 at Swanton Morley in Norfolk (an Army barracks now, I believe) and it sealed my drive to fly.

Unfortunately, the RAF wouldn't take me with my eyesight, and commercial flying wouldn't take me with my inability to pay for my own license... :(

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jjohnjil

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »

I was an RAF National Serviceman 1953/56 and spent two years at Tangmere in Sussex.  I went back there in1980 for a visit and last Saturday I took my grandson to Portsmouth to see the Victory and the Mary Rose, then on to my 2nd ever visit to Tangmere.  They now have a museum there with various planes including a Hawker Hunter - which my grandson was allowed to sit in and shown all the controls and instruments.  It was the first time I had seen one close up in almost 60 years.
Leaving there I I headed for the A3 but went the wrong way down the A27 and turned off at Brighton.  I had only gone half an hour when I heard on the news about the terrible crash on the A27 at Shoreham, which we must have missed by minutes - and it was a Hawker Hunter! 

It seemed such a coincidence that if I was religious I would definitely have said God was looking after me!

Leonard James

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »

I was an RAF National Serviceman 1953/56 and spent two years at Tangmere in Sussex.  I went back there in1980 for a visit and last Saturday I took my grandson to Portsmouth to see the Victory and the Mary Rose, then on to my 2nd ever visit to Tangmere.  They now have a museum there with various planes including a Hawker Hunter - which my grandson was allowed to sit in and shown all the controls and instruments.  It was the first time I had seen one close up in almost 60 years.
Leaving there I I headed for the A3 but went the wrong way down the A27 and turned off at Brighton.  I had only gone half an hour when I heard on the news about the terrible crash on the A27 at Shoreham, which we must have missed by minutes - and it was a Hawker Hunter! 

It seemed such a coincidence that if I was religious I would definitely have said God was looking after me!

Forgetting completely, as they invariably do, that some other poor sod has had to pay the piper.

jjohnjil

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »

Forgetting completely, as they invariably do, that some other poor sod has had to pay the piper.

Exactly, Len!  But it shows how coincidences can easily be used to reinforce religious beliefs.

Leonard James

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »

Exactly, Len!  But it shows how coincidences can easily be used to reinforce religious beliefs.

Their credulity is an insult to the human ability to reason. :(

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 01:51:55 PM »
My flying experience was many moons ago when I had three gliding lessons at Shobdon airfield, Herefordshire. Loved every minute, and felt safer than flying in a motorised 'plane.

Recently, I've been up in a hot-air balloon.... birthday present, and something I've always wanted to do. Again, a great experience and we were sooo lucky with the weather.... glorious morning (we had to be there at 6am) and not too much wind.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Spud

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »

I flew Chipmunks out of Cambridge airport in the late 80's and early 90's as a cadet, and loved it.
Dude!

Managed to get a solo glider flight in the summer of '91 at Swanton Morley in Norfolk (an Army barracks now, I believe) and it sealed my drive to fly.
I had some cheap lessons in a Cessna in Florida, which did the same for me.

Unfortunately, the RAF wouldn't take me with my eyesight, and commercial flying wouldn't take me with my inability to pay for my own license... :(

O.
Ditto... I remember going home the first evening of an RAF selection weekend because I failed the medical... I could see four lights where there were only two (they diagnosed squint).