Author Topic: Dubious Taste  (Read 5731 times)

Humph Warden Bennett

Dubious Taste
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
Am I alone in finding this rather poor taste? I don't mean the kid's singing voice, but is this really an appropriate song for a nine year old to sing? Or am I just being an old fart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRte8C_cXbk

floo

Re: Dubious Taste
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
Am I alone in finding this rather poor taste? I don't mean the kid's singing voice, but is this really an appropriate song for a nine year old to sing? Or am I just being an old fart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRte8C_cXbk

I agree with you. The kid is only nine and should not be put in the spotlight at such a young age.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:56:18 PM »
I agree with you. The kid is only nine and should not be put in the spotlight at such a young age.
Shirley Temple was 'put in the spotlight' from the age of 3; she died in February 2014 following an amazingly varied life.  Barbra Streisand was 13 when she started.  Other actors, actresses and singers started their careers very young. Some were hugely successful and had very happy lives; others were hugely successful and had mierable lives; and others still were relatively successful and had relatively happy lives.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »
Shirley Temple was 'put in the spotlight' from the age of 3; she died in February 2014 following an amazingly varied life.  Barbra Streisand was 13 when she started.  Other actors, actresses and singers started their careers very young. Some were hugely successful and had very happy lives; others were hugely successful and had mierable lives; and others still were relatively successful and had relatively happy lives.
And probably the vast majority were unsuccessful.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:55:24 AM »

So? And what about all the boys of a similar age who want to be footballers.

I see nothing wrong with her singing a song which presumably she hears around her all the time. My 3 year old granddaughter belts out all the songs from Frozen but she doesn't understand what they mean.

If the child has real talent then let it be developed. Do you think it in "dubious taste" that a musicians like Yehudi Menuhin (who himself started a very young age) should havespent a significant portion of his life seeking, encouraging and developing talent in young children? Or that Anglican cathedral choir schools recruit boys and train them as singers on the basis of their prepubescent singing ability?

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

floo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:24:39 AM »

I think putting a child in the spotlight is WRONG, whoever they are. Some don't do so well like that Home Alone actor!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
Probably no more so than those who started at a later stage of life.  After all, a large proportion of aspiring actors, actresses, singers and sportsfolk don't succeed in the way they want to.  Not sure that it has anything to do with the age at which they start.

If it is in 'dubious taste' for this 9-year-old to be performing in public - what about about the thousands of younsters, often in their infant years, who perform in public in nativity plays, other school productions - even am. dram. productions?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:58:06 AM by Hope »
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
I think putting a child in the spotlight is WRONG, whoever they are. Some don't do so well like that Home Alone actor!
So, because some don't do so well (like Macauley Caulkin - and I believe that there were other non-stage related issues in his case) we shouldn't allow any such people into the spotlight?  What age is acceptable?  18?  14?  Once they're a teenager? 

floo

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
So, because some don't do so well (like Macauley Caulkin - and I believe that there were other non-stage related issues in his case) we shouldn't allow any such people into the spotlight?  What age is acceptable?  18?  14?  Once they're a teenager?

When they are old enough to make the decision for themselves, 16+.

Rhiannon

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
So that means a great deal of children's' television can't be made. No Tracy Beaker, no Goodnight Mr Tom, no Grange Hill or Byker Grove.

Nor films of course, so no Harry Potter series (Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe have matured into thoughtful, talented young adults but hey), no Narnia films.

And no characters in tv or film can have children, or they'll all have to 'stay in their room' until they are 16.

And no Charlotte Church of course - wasn't she nine or ten on her first TV appearance?

Hollywood is a very, very dysfunctional beast - a good read for those interested is Portia Di Rossi's Unbearable Lightness on how Hollywood applauded her eating disorder. Its not surprising that few children come through growing up there unscathed. But you can't look at Hollywood and think that is what life is like for all child performers, because it isn't.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »
When they are old enough to make the decision for themselves, 16+.
And why do you think that 16+ is an appropriate, arbitrary, age?  Remember that elsewhere, you have argued that children ought to be able to do a variety of things once they have reached an age at which they can make a decision for themselves, without placing a lower age-limit on that.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
Probably no more so than those who started at a later stage of life.  After all, a large proportion of aspiring actors, actresses, singers and sportsfolk don't succeed in the way they want to.  Not sure that it has anything to do with the age at which they start.

If it is in 'dubious taste' for this 9-year-old to be performing in public - what about about the thousands of younsters, often in their infant years, who perform in public in nativity plays, other school productions - even am. dram. productions?

My grumble is not about the child performing in public, rather the song she is singing. I don't think it an appropriate song for a nine year old.

floo

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
It is not so much a kid performing in public, to which I object, as long as what they are doing is age appropriate, it is turning them into a celebrity at such a young age, which is wrong, imo. 

Rhiannon

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
So not 16 plus then, Floo?

Rhiannon

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »

My grumble is not about the child performing in public, rather the song she is singing. I don't think it an appropriate song for a nine year old.

You're not being an old fart, Humph. It's not just the song but the whole package - the hair, the make-up. And rather sadly her voice isn't actually that good yet. Hopefully she'll get some training and it will improve.

That said, I've seen worse. Mini pops aside, there was the group of pvc-clad, stiletto-wearing twelve year olds wearing more make-up than Boy George on a Saturday morning talent show when I was a kid. I suppose that was a more innocent age, but there was no excuse for the group of 'youth workers' on an otherwise charming programme about inner city kids having their first holiday at the seaside, who got a group of ten and eleven year old boys to perform The Full Monty * for the Talent Night.

* down to underwear.

floo

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »

16+ before they get into the limelight!

One of my grandsons, who is nearly 12, is a very good football player, and has had some public recognition featuring on a few occasions on the adult match programmes of his city's football team. Fortunately his family are sensible and he isn't treated any differently to his siblings just because he has made a bit of a name for himself. He is a very intelligent lad, and his schoolwork takes priority, I hope the footie fades into insignificance as time goes by and he gets a proper career as an adult!

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »

One of my grandsons, who is nearly 12, is a very good football player, and has had some public recognition featuring on a few occasions on the adult match programmes of his city's football team. Fortunately his family are sensible and he isn't treated any differently to his siblings just because he has made a bit of a name for himself. He is a very intelligent lad, and his schoolwork takes priority, I hope the footie fades into insignificance as time goes by and he gets a proper career as an adult!

Floo, don't wish your grandson's talent for football away, though; I'd say let him develop it.
We've had this discussion before..... what is 'a proper career'?
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

SweetPea

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 12:18:47 PM »
Re the OP: I think Humph is referring to the content of the song that the 9 year old is singing.

My opinion is 50/50. I agree with Humph in is it sexualising the child at a very young age?
On the other hand I'm with Harrowby in that she won't be entirely sure what she's singing about, at that age.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

floo

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »

Floo, don't wish your grandson's talent for football away, though; I'd say let him develop it.

Football is a mere game, NOT a proper job, imo! I get really annoyed when football players are paid a small fortune for only kicking a ball around, when people who make a difference to people's lives like medics get paid so much less! Fortunately my grandson has his feet on the ground, and is already planning what other career he would like to pursue if he doesn't make the grade in the future where that sport is concerned. I think he is considering computer software design, as has had a great interest in computers and how they work since an infant.

SweetPea

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »

Football is a mere game, NOT a proper job, imo! I get really annoyed when football players are paid a small fortune for only kicking a ball around, when people who make a difference to people's lives like medics get paid so much less! Fortunately my grandson has his feet on the ground, and is already planning what other career he would like to pursue if he doesn't make the grade in the future where that sport is concerned. I think he is considering computer software design, as has had a great interest in computers and how they work since an infant.

Well, I agree with you re the 'footie' world; the way the industry is run is a nonsense.
Your grandson certainly sounds a very grounded lad..... good for him. I'm sure he'll do well in life whatever career he chooses.

floo

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »

Well, I agree with you re the 'footie' world; the way the industry is run is a nonsense.
Your grandson certainly sounds a very grounded lad..... good for him. I'm sure he'll do well in life whatever career he chooses.

I hope so too. :)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
OK, Humph, I misread your op, and thought you were querying the age.  I would probably query, as others have done, whether she knows the meaning of the lyrics, but can see where you're coming from.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »

So? And what about all the boys of a similar age who want to be footballers.

I see nothing wrong with her singing a song which presumably she hears around her all the time. My 3 year old granddaughter belts out all the songs from Frozen but she doesn't understand what they mean.

If the child has real talent then let it be developed. Do you think it in "dubious taste" that a musicians like Yehudi Menuhin (who himself started a very young age) should havespent a significant portion of his life seeking, encouraging and developing talent in young children? Or that Anglican cathedral choir schools recruit boys and train them as singers on the basis of their prepubescent singing ability?

I'm sure it can be done safely and with care, but the fact is, it is not always and sometimes it damages the child.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
Which is true of driving, so, so what?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Which is true of driving, so, so what?

So I think Floo had a point.