Author Topic: Virgin Birth!  (Read 3107 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Virgin Birth!
« on: August 27, 2015, 06:45:42 AM »
Hi everyone,

I think this was discussed before...I am not sure.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141219-spectacular-real-virgin-births

This 6m long (20 ft) python had spent four years alone in Louisville zoo in the US, without ever having met a male of her species. But, somehow, she laid over 61 eggs, producing six healthy babies.

Thelma had become the first reticulated python in the world known to have had a real-life virgin birth.

Scientists are discovering that virgin births occur in many different species; amphibians, reptiles, cartilaginous and bony fish and birds and it happens for reasons we don't quite understand.

Initially, a virgin birth, also known as parthenogenesis, was thought to be triggered by extreme situations; it was only documented among captive animals, for example, perhaps by the stress, or isolation. A way to continue the bloodline when all other options had gone, when there was no other choice.

Not necessarily. It now appears that some virgin females produce offspring even in the presence of males.

What’s more, they do so in the wild, and may have been doing it for hundreds of millions of years.

Life will find a way. If its not through sexual means...it'll be through 'virgin birth'.  Shows that life is not an incidental or chance result of chemical reactions.  Life  (and reproduction) will happen one way or the other.

Cheers.

Sriram 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Virgin Birth!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:55:15 AM »
It doesn't show any such thing.

torridon

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »

Life will find a way. If its not through sexual means...it'll be through 'virgin birth'.  Shows that life is not an incidental or chance result of chemical reactions...

That's a massive non sequitur.  You're just picking a particular observation and using it to support a world view. A bit like Alan Burns finds his lost contact lens and derives 'God exists' from that.

Leonard James

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »
It doesn't show any such thing.

Of course it doesn't, much as Sriram would like to think so.

Non-sexual reproduction was the norm when life began. Sexually reproduction developed and became dominant because the exchange of genes at conception allowed a much greater chance of variant forms for natural selection to work on.

Probably many species retained the ability to reproduce in both ways.

Shaker

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
Not so much an own goal as a smack in own teeth with this one, Sriram.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »
Not so much an own goal as a smack in own teeth with this one, Sriram.

I agree.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »

Life will find a way. If its not through sexual means...it'll be through 'virgin birth'.  Shows that life is not an incidental or chance result of chemical reactions.  Life  (and reproduction) will happen one way or the other.

As others have said, Sriram, this is just not true.

Sexual reproduction was a rather late arrival in evolution.

I think I recall hearing about a marine reptile that lays eggs on beaches. If the eggs have been fertilised the offspring will be female if not, male. My source said that whereas in mammals the default sex is female, with reptiles it is male.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »

I am not sure what everyone is refuting here.   I am not questioning any evolutionary process. I know that different kinds of reproduction processes exist.  And that is my point.

I am merely saying that reproduction is not incidental to any one process. Different processes exist by which reproduction can happen. In other words...specific processes do not decide the existence of life forms.  Life will exist and prevail any which way it can. 

Life is primary and the process is secondary.....not the other way around. 

Leonard James

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »

I am not sure what everyone is refuting here.   I am not questioning any evolutionary process. I know that different kinds of reproduction processes exist.  And that is my point.

I am merely saying that reproduction is not incidental to any one process. Different processes exist by which reproduction can happen. In other words...specific processes do not decide the existence of life forms.  Life will exist and prevail any which way it can. 

Life is primary and the process is secondary.....not the other way around.

And? What are you trying to address?

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
Iam not sure what everyone is refuting here.
Probably your assertion that "... life is not an incidental or chance result of chemical reactions."
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
Iam not sure what everyone is refuting here.
Probably your assertion that "... life is not an incidental or chance result of chemical reactions."

and in the latest post: "Life will exist and prevail any which way it can"

That is not what we see, as all the cases where it does not prevail are ignored.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 06:13:19 AM »

My point is straight forward enough.  Processes do not decide functions. In that sense functions (reproduction, locomotion, digestive processes, etc.)  are not incidental to processes.

Different processes lead to the same function.....which means functions are more or less fixed as objectives....and processes will evolve depending on the environment.   

SusanDoris

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
But what about the Tribbles? Such dear little things! :D :D
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Leonard James

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »

My point is straight forward enough.  Processes do not decide functions. In that sense functions (reproduction, locomotion, digestive processes, etc.)  are not incidental to processes.

Different processes lead to the same function.....which means functions are more or less fixed as objectives....and processes will evolve depending on the environment.

I'm sorry, Sriram, but I don't understand this. The words are all English and the sentences grammatical, yet I am completely lost as to what you are trying to say.  :(

SusanDoris

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »

I'm sorry, Sriram, but I don't understand this. The words are all English and the sentences grammatical, yet I am completely lost as to what you are trying to say.  :(
There's a researcher who was on the Science programme (radio 4 yesterday 4:30 p.m.) who is working on how our brains get meaning out of proper sentences which are not sense. :)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
Noam Chomsky was doing work on this donkey's years ago - his famous example was colourless green ideas sleep furiously: grammatically impeccable, but complete non-sense.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
I'm with Leonard on this. I think Sriram is clear in his own mind, possibly so clear, that it is difficult for him to see what it is we are missing, but nothing seems straightforward in the post.

Shaker

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
I'm reporting the latter part of this thread to the Clear English Campaign. I expect they'll have something to say  :)

Leonard James

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »

There's a researcher who was on the Science programme (radio 4 yesterday 4:30 p.m.) who is working on how our brains get meaning out of proper sentences which are not sense. :)
[/quote]

Whoopee! When he works it out we'll be able to understand the inscrutable stuff that Sriram and Sassy sometimes throw at us. :)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »

LOL!   And all coming from English men and women. Tut! Tut!

........ "If you don't understand what I say...you are stupid. If I don't understand what you say...still YOU are stupid"....   

Typical isn't it?    :D

The empire is gone but the nose in the air is still there......what?!

What I have said is plain enough for me ....and I have said this many times on here.  If you don't understand it, its your problem.  Think over it if you can.

Cheers...guys.  :)