Author Topic: Vindictive Protectiveness  (Read 3396 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Vindictive Protectiveness
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:28:17 AM »
Interesting if slightly muddled article on the possibility that PC might be going mad

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Vindictive Protectiveness
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:21:35 AM »
I was struck by the mini-heading
According to the most-basic tenets of psychology, helping people with anxiety disorders avoid the things they fear is misguided.
because this seems to sum up the thoughts of some other fields of study - for instance, rather than avoiding certain foods that could be causing allergies, there seems to be a greater interest now in treating said allergies with small but growing doses of the allergenic material; or rather than creating titally dust and dirt-free environments for kids to grow up, in the presence of some dirt and germs is beneficial for the development of the human immune system..

Whilst this doesn't mean that all the 80s/90s work referred to in the article should be overturned, it suggests that at least in some areas we have gone OTT.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
According to the most-basic tenets of psychology, helping people with anxiety disorders avoid the things they fear is misguided.
because this seems to sum up the thoughts of some other fields of study - for instance, rather than avoiding certain foods that could be causing allergies, there seems to be a greater interest now in treating said allergies with small but growing doses of the allergenic material; or rather than creating titally dust and dirt-free environments for kids to grow up, in the presence of some dirt and germs is beneficial for the development of the human immune system..

Whilst this doesn't mean that all the 80s/90s work referred to in the article should be overturned, it suggests that at least in some areas we have gone OTT.

I think it isn't so much that there was work done in the 80s and 90s but rather a movement to deal with social issues, but I think that it's a good point you make that approaches to such things as social interection may either mirror or be mirrored by approaches in harder sciences.

Jack Knave

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »
PC went off the rails years ago and has created a load of docile Eloi who the elites, the Morlocks, can manipulate even more easily. The masses are basically being brained washed to be putty and pliant in these power greedy thugs hands.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »
PC went off the rails years ago and has created a load of docile Eloi who the elites, the Morlocks, can manipulate even more easily. The masses are basically being brained washed to be putty and pliant in these power greedy thugs hands.
which has what relevance to anything, I mean don't get me wrong it is a fine piece of rhetoric but is merely a rant. Do you really want to take the position that not calling women bitches, or black people niggers is just about brain washing?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:26:48 AM by Nearly Sane »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:34:13 AM »
Micro-aggression? Trigger warnings? PC? Is there anything here that more guns couldn't fix  ;)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »
Micro-aggression? Trigger warnings? PC? Is there anything here that more guns couldn't fix  ;)

Is there anything anywhere that more guns won't fix?

Jack Knave

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
which has what relevance to anything, I mean don't get me wrong it is a fine piece of rhetoric but is merely a rant. Do you really want to take the position that not calling women bitches, or black people niggers is just about brain washing?
You need to look at the bigger picture of how all the controlling rhetoric has pacified the people. The politicians, and what not, engage in allsorts of venal activities and the people just let it go. They have complicated matters so much that the person in the street can't really understand it and they make their lives worse and worse by running things down so that they are too busy to even start to look into it. They then provide puerile entertainment to keep the masses occupied so they forget about the slog of their lives and so de-educating them further. Nearly all revolutions have been started by the middle classes of what ever nature and it is the middle classes that are now being whittled down into the working class denomination.

This is the nature of the EU and TTIP. The EU has put a 30 year ban on access to what TTIP says. Anyone leaking this will be sent to jail. So in 30 years time we'll be able to know what is in TTIP but by then all the damage will be done. The NHS is not safe from this and in 30 years time we will have an American style health service.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »
You need to look at the bigger picture of how all the controlling rhetoric has pacified the people. The politicians, and what not, engage in allsorts of venal activities and the people just let it go. They have complicated matters so much that the person in the street can't really understand it and they make their lives worse and worse by running things down so that they are too busy to even start to look into it. They then provide puerile entertainment to keep the masses occupied so they forget about the slog of their lives and so de-educating them further. Nearly all revolutions have been started by the middle classes of what ever nature and it is the middle classes that are now being whittled down into the working class denomination.

This is the nature of the EU and TTIP. The EU has put a 30 year ban on access to what TTIP says. Anyone leaking this will be sent to jail. So in 30 years time we'll be able to know what is in TTIP but by then all the damage will be done. The NHS is not safe from this and in 30 years time we will have an American style health service.

Good post, Jack. The first time I've seen this explained on R&E and you don't make it sound like some conspiracy theorists do. But it's true, the masses are sooo dumbed down by all forms of media and false flag events. It's all about control of the people by the elites.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:37:33 PM by SweetPea »
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »

Here's the problem.  Exposing most people to small dangers is a learning experience and makes them stronger and better able to cope with the World.  My parents let me go out to play with my friends unsupervised from a very young age and we lament the fact that children today can't do this.

However, sometimes it goes wrong.  It's fine letting kids grow up in the presence of some dirt and most of them will be better off for it, but the occasional one will contract some nasty disease and die.  None of us want to be the parent of the one that takes the bullet for everybody else. 
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Somewhere, I have an 8 or 9 page article from something like the Economist which explains in detail what TTIP is all about.  For a summary, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »
Somewhere, I have an 8 or 9 page article from something like the Economist which explains in detail what TTIP is all about.

Don't write anything about it or it's off to the poky with you.

Jack Knave

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
Somewhere, I have an 8 or 9 page article from something like the Economist which explains in detail what TTIP is all about.  For a summary, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership
This is just verbiage, Hope, it tells you nothing about what the individual clauses say. Molly Scott Cato, MEP (Green Party) went round the place where the negotiations and drafts are being done. She had all her electronic gadgets taken off her including any paper and pens so she couldn't even write anything done and it was done gun point.

The EU has made it illegal for anyone to give any details of TTIP for 30 years. If they do they will be sent to jail.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
This is just verbiage, ...
It's not 'just verbiage' it is what I said it is - a summary.  Summaries don't go into massive detail.

Molly Scott Cato, MEP (Green Party) went round the place where the negotiations and drafts are being done. She had all her electronic gadgets taken off her including any paper and pens so she couldn't even write anything done and it was done gun point.
That's the advantage of one's brain - one can use it to store the relevant information without the need to use electronic gadgets or paper.   ;)

The EU has made it illegal for anyone to give any details of TTIP for 30 years. If they do they will be sent to jail.
Talking to friends in the US, it seems that they believe that the block has been imposed on the EU by their fellow countrymen (similar blocks occur in some of the other International Trade agreements that the Americans have made over the years).

Jack Knave

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
This is just verbiage, ...
It's not 'just verbiage' it is what I said it is - a summary.  Summaries don't go into massive detail.

Molly Scott Cato, MEP (Green Party) went round the place where the negotiations and drafts are being done. She had all her electronic gadgets taken off her including any paper and pens so she couldn't even write anything done and it was done gun point.
That's the advantage of one's brain - one can use it to store the relevant information without the need to use electronic gadgets or paper.   ;)

Talking to friends in the US, it seems that they believe that the block has been imposed on the EU by their fellow countrymen (similar blocks occur in some of the other International Trade agreements that the Americans have made over the years).
But it's the detail we need because it is going to govern our lives and grind them into the dust.

She can't even talk about what she saw else she will be sent to prison. All she has said on the matter is that it is undemocratic!!! What more do we need to oppose this venal 'free' trade act?

"Their fellow countrymen" - what kind of bollocks is that, Hope?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 11:34:40 PM »
It's assertion, Hope usually does it very well, but you are schooling him here.