Author Topic: How often do you ditch responses unposted?  (Read 1752 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
How often do you ditch responses unposted?
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »
Over the years, I must have written a host of responses to other people's posts, only to decide at the last minute to simply ditch them, rather than post them.  Often this is because in composing my post, I have vented my frustration with the other poster and realised that posting it won't actually benefit the discussion/debate.  Occasionally, I've realised halfway through that they are actually agreeing with me, but that a particular set of wording or the thread title has given me the wrong impression, or I simply haven't read the post or the linked article properly (as occurred on Matt's 'A war against gay person's still at school' thread).  Sometimes, even just the action of pressing the 'reply/quote' button is sufficient to satisfy my wish to respond, and I backtrack without even writing a word.

Is this something others here do?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Outrider

Re: How often do you ditch responses unposted?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
Sometimes, yes, when I realise that what I'm writing is motivated more by my frustration or irritation than by any desire to add something to the conversation.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
Quite often. I find myself waffling on without actually making a clear point.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

floo

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »
Over the years, I must have written a host of responses to other people's posts, only to decide at the last minute to simply ditch them, rather than post them.  Often this is because in composing my post, I have vented my frustration with the other poster and realised that posting it won't actually benefit the discussion/debate.  Occasionally, I've realised halfway through that they are actually agreeing with me, but that a particular set of wording or the thread title has given me the wrong impression, or I simply haven't read the post or the linked article properly (as occurred on Matt's 'A war against gay person's still at school' thread).  Sometimes, even just the action of pressing the 'reply/quote' button is sufficient to satisfy my wish to respond, and I backtrack without even writing a word.

Is this something others here do?

I do that quite often when I think I have overreacted to something a person has said. Occasionally I will delete a post sometime later for the same reason.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
Yep

Gonnagle

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
Dear Hope,

Yes done that lots of times.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
Yet you still have managed over 20,000 posts!

What would it have been if you hadn't ditched some?

I do it occasionally, perhaps a couple of times a week. One reason I sometimes ditch posts is because I don't want other people to perceive me as being like that.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Owlswing

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
Sometimes, yes, when I realise that what I'm writing is motivated more by my frustration or irritation than by any desire to add something to the conversation.

O.

Ditto
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!