Author Topic: Alcoholic hand washes  (Read 9107 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Alcoholic hand washes
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33983172

Was interested to hear about this on Radio 5 earlier.  Apart from the obvious, how do non-alcoholic washes differ from these?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

floo

Re: Alcoholic hand washes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
Good grief! :o

We use these hand washes very frequently at home. I also carry one in the car and use it after I have done my shopping or filled the car with petrol. They do seem to be quite good at keeping the germs at bay.

Owlswing

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »

We use these hand washes very frequently at home. I also carry one in the car and use it after I have done my shopping or filled the car with petrol. They do seem to be quite good at keeping the germs at bay.

NO, not at bay, but pissed out of their tiny minds!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
No surprise there. They will do anything for a buzz. Like going into run down bars and pubs and stealing the disinfectant cakes from the urinals in the washrooms.

No Matty, it's not funny.

floo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »

Good one! ;D

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »

Good one! ;D

It would appear that our Canadian critic does not agree!  BORING!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Owlswing

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
No surprise there. They will do anything for a buzz. Like going into run down bars and pubs and stealing the disinfectant cakes from the urinals in the washrooms.

No Matty, it's not funny.

Do you really - QUOTE - Like going into run down bars and pubs and stealing the disinfectant cakes from the urinals in the washrooms. - UNQUOTE!

YEUCH! You really are gross!

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
You really have a problem with not thinking before you post dear Matty. "They" has a different meaning than I. Duh! You are old and should know how to read and understand English words.

Owlswing

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
You really have a problem with not thinking before you post dear Matty. "They" has a different meaning than I. Duh! You are old and should know how to read and understand English words.

I don't care about "they" or "I" - you posted the disgusting idea! You thought of it! You are the disgusting one!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:13:16 PM by CMG KCMG GCMG »

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
No, it is fact. They do it. Now if you ever see a urinal with the disinfectant cake in a cage, you will know why it was done. DUH!

floo

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »
No, it is fact. They do it. Now if you ever see a urinal with the disinfectant cake in a cage, you will know why it was done. DUH!

What is a disinfectant cake?

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »

A block of disinfectant that sits in urinals. It gives us boys something to aim at ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Owlswing

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »

A block of disinfectant that sits in urinals. It gives us boys something to aim at ;)

Apparently, at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport, the authorities got fed up with the "dampness" on the floors of the gent's toilets and the huge cost of cleaning it up.

They found that by painting a fly onto or into the porcelain of the urinals they cut these costs spectacularly because, as you say, Shaker, it gave the boys something to aim at and ensured that they missed the bigger target - the floor.

Shaker

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
I heard that story too  :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Owlswing

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
I heard that story too  :)

Unlike most good stories this one is actually true!

I just wonder where they got the idea from? But maybe I really don't want to find out!

ippy

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »

That's what they all say, to begin with.

ippy

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33983172

Was interested to hear about this on Radio 5 earlier.  Apart from the obvious, how do non-alcoholic washes differ from these?

Do you mean "are there any non alcoholic hand washes that are as effective as alcoholic hand washes and that could be used instead?"
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »
Those who are 'toiletarily' intrigued may enjoy this.

https://worksthatwork.com/1/urinal-fly

Owlswing

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
From Gordon's link a couple of snippets that I rather liked:

Even positioning a company logo at the bottom of the bowl would work, although . . . companies probably would not want to encourage people to urinate on their trademark. The University of Louisville in Kentucky has been particularly inventive in this respect—placing the emblem of the rival University of Kentucky at the bottom of the urinal in some of their changing room

A Victorian urinal target dating back at least as far as the 1880s features a bee. The Latin for bee is apis, a vulgar joke understandable to Victorian gentlemen, but almost certainly lost on 21st-century men.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Do you mean "are there any non alcoholic hand washes that are as effective as alcoholic hand washes and that could be used instead?"
Thanks for bringing the thread back on-course, jeremy - and yes and no, that is what I was/wasn't asking.  I was half wondering what it is in the non-alcoholic ones that make them work, and also whether any non-alcoholic versions could be used instead.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Owlswing

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
Thanks for bringing the thread back on-course, jeremy - and yes and no, that is what I was/wasn't asking.  I was half wondering what it is in the non-alcoholic ones that make them work, and also whether any non-alcoholic versions could be used instead.

At least, this time, the thread was derailed by a Christian and not a Pagan or an atheist!

Enki

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
And I'm probably going to be accused of derailing it again. Today I visited a public toilet, and on the door was a notice which said, 'This toilet is twinned with a toilet in Sierra Leone." It then give the exact GPS Co-ordinates and a photo of said toilet. Finally it gave a link to a charity to give aid to help the poorest nations have clean water and hygienic toilets.

Looking on t'internet afterwards I found much more about it, under 'Toilet Twinning'. Sounds like an interesting and creative idea.

End of derail. ;D
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 02:09:14 AM »
And how is a alcoholic stealing urinal cakes for the alcohol content a derail? Bet a few have gone missing from hospital men's rooms over the years. I know that they hang around out side hospitals quite often.

Gonnagle

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 07:54:03 AM »
Dear Enki,

To derail or not to derail, no that is not the question. ???

To meet the mind that came up with toilet twinning. :o

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Rhiannon

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
There was a problem during the swine flu outbreak with children drinking hand rub and getting drunk in schools, often quite young ones.

The hand gel obviously does a vital job in hospitals but when it comes to preventing g stomach bugs it is no substitute for warm soapy water. I'm horrified at the number of mothers in public loos who get their kids to use hand gel instead of hand washing in the belief it is more hygienic or more effective. It isn't.