Author Topic: Alcoholic hand washes  (Read 9082 times)

floo

Re: Alcoholic hand washes
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
There was a problem during the swine flu outbreak with children drinking hand rub and getting drunk in schools, often quite young ones.

The hand gel obviously does a vital job in hospitals but when it comes to preventing g stomach bugs it is no substitute for warm soapy water. I'm horrified at the number of mothers in public loos who get their kids to use hand gel instead of hand washing in the belief it is more hygienic or more effective. It isn't.

I find it very effective. I would much prefer to use a hand gel when using a public loo, rather than use the sink in one.

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
There was a problem during the swine flu outbreak with children drinking hand rub and getting drunk in schools, often quite young ones.

The hand gel obviously does a vital job in hospitals but when it comes to preventing g stomach bugs it is no substitute for warm soapy water. I'm horrified at the number of mothers in public loos who get their kids to use hand gel instead of hand washing in the belief it is more hygienic or more effective. It isn't.

I find it very effective. I would much prefer to use a hand gel when using a public loo, rather than use the sink in one.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/367970/Wash-norovirus-away

During norovirus outbreaks I carry my own soap leaves and tissues to dry my hands. Most public toilets round here have contactless taps and flushes but if I do need to touch them I use my sleeve, and I never touch toilet door handles on the way out.

floo

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
Well each to their own.  :)

Rhiannon

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Well not really. It's each and everyone's norovirus bugs on your hands if you rely on sanitisers alone.

floo

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
Well not really. It's each and everyone's norovirus bugs on your hands if you rely on sanitisers alone.

Obviously washing hands in a clean environment is important, but when that isn't available the use of hand gels is important. Since we started using them regularly a few years ago we have had far fewer colds and stomach upsets!

Rhiannon

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
It's supposedly effective against colds and flu and is better than nothing against stomach bugs, but with the latter you do need hand washing too if possible. I have to use one that is formaldehyde free as otherwise I get bad dermatitis from it. The alcohol can be very drying anyway - good job I didn't enter the medical profession!

floo

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
Use what works for you, as I will use what works for us!

ippy

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
Use what works for you, as I will use what works for us!

I just wondered if you've found yourself starting to get more possessive with all of the various alcohol based hand washes you're putting in the car another one at home another elsewhere etc? Mmmmm___

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »
Obviously washing hands in a clean environment is important, but when that isn't available the use of hand gels is important. Since we started using them regularly a few years ago we have had far fewer colds and stomach upsets!
The problem with hand gels is that they don't get rid of dirt; they are effective to some degree or other, on bacteria and viruses (can't remember on which most effectively), but have little or no value when it comes to mud - which, of course, may carry bacteria or viruses.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »
The problem with hand gels is that they don't get rid of dirt; they are effective to some degree or other, on bacteria and viruses (can't remember on which most effectively), but have little or no value when it comes to mud - which, of course, may carry bacteria or viruses.

Perhaps they work and do get rid of the dirt if a ceremony is performed by a man in a frock using some magic words and then all happening at the same time the dirt really does disappear?

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 08:22:40 AM »
Perhaps they work and do get rid of the dirt if a ceremony is performed by a man in a frock using some magic words and then all happening at the same time the dirt really does disappear?

ippy
Sorry, ippy.  I realise that you would like to see this happen, but then you don't do serious, do you?  Nor do you seem able to differentiate between sacred and secular topics.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »

ippy
Sorry, ippy.  I realise that you would like to see this happen, but then you don't do serious, do you?  Nor do you seem able to differentiate between sacred and secular topics.

That's just it Hope, the difference between living in the real world or some other kind of fantasy world, like your fantasy where I'm sure you talk to yourself and at the same time convince yourself someone is listening, if not acting upon your words.

I would refer to your condition as having a vivid imagination quite well outlined in a book written by "Our Lord Richard".

ippy

Shaker

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »
Peace be upon Him.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »
That's just it Hope, ...
Precisely, ippy: you don't know the difference between the real world and a fantasy.   :D

ippy

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
That's just it Hope, ...
Precisely, ippy: you don't know the difference between the real world and a fantasy.   :D

Yes I often speak to myself but I really don't kid myself there's someone/something listening, there's no evidential reason to think there is, "Hail Richard".

ippy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:34:19 PM by ippy »

floo

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
That's just it Hope, ...

Talking to yourself, Hope?  ;D

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Yes I often speak to myself but I really don't kid myself there's someone/something listening, there's no evidential reason to think there is, "Hail Richard".

ippy
I occasionally speak to myself, ippy; but most of the time I speak to other sentient beings and get responses in return.

Owlswing

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »

ippy
I occasionally speak to myself, ippy; but most of the time I speak to other sentient beings and get responses in return.

As usual, Hope, a smart-arse, avoid the point, come-back.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
As usual, Hope, a smart-arse, avoid the point, come-back.
Only responding to his question, Matt.

floo

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »

ippy

In which case you need help! ;D

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 11:31:46 AM »
Floo, I believe that btalking to oneself is a perfectly normal human behaviour, as is talking to sentient beings and receiving responses.  Why would I 'need help' as you suggest?

floo

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
Floo, I believe that btalking to oneself is a perfectly normal human behaviour, as is talking to sentient beings and receiving responses.  Why would I 'need help' as you suggest?

If you believe you are receiving responses from a deity then I do believe one has a problem!

ippy

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »

ippy

You imagine!

ippy

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
floo, didn't you tell us quite some time back that you talk to yourself?

Matty, do you recall a witch pointing a finger about name calling yesterday? I wonder what happened to him ?  Too funny you!

floo

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »
floo, didn't you tell us quite some time back that you talk to yourself?

Matty, do you recall a witch pointing a finger about name calling yesterday? I wonder what happened to him ?  Too funny you!

Don't most people talk to themselves? At least I know it is me to whom I talking, usually telling myself what a daft old bat I am. ;D I really shouted at myself yesterday, when I realised I had left the gerbil cage door open by mistake! ::) Fortunately for me the gerbil had the good sense to stay where it was, more sense than its crazy owner!

Goodness knows what any of this has to do with hand washes? ::)