Author Topic: New Kiwi Flag competition finalists  (Read 3143 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
New Kiwi Flag competition finalists
« on: September 01, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34111928

Any thoughts from the mother nations?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Owlswing

Re: New Kiwi Flag competition finalists
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 06:56:21 PM »
Mother nations? How archaic and patronising!

It is nobody's business but the New Zealanders, and those who have commented do not seem impressed. Not that the politicians are likely to take any notice of that!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »

It is nobody's business but the New Zealanders, and those who have commented do not seem impressed. Not that the politicians are likely to take any notice of that!
Don't New Zealand have a national wizard? someone wise and whacky.........I nominate Nearly sane.

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »

Don't New Zealand have a national wizard? someone wise and whacky.........I nominate Nearly sane.

Please, at least get your terminology right.

Wizards are denizens of fiction!

If the inclusion of the word (wizard) is a shot/pun/joke at my being a witch - all witches are witches male or female.

Oh and don't call a male witch a warlock - it means traitor or oathbreaker.

If it was not please ignore the preceeding.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Due to the marvels of the web, I could still kick your discursive arse from there, Vlad. Besides Gonzo wants me to be a Glasgow wizard for the reclaiming of our city from the numpty and the ned.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »
Due to the marvels of the web, I could still kick your discursive arse from there, Vlad. Besides Gonzo wants me to be a Glasgow wizard for the reclaiming of our city from the numpty and the ned.
It must be great to be in demand.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »

There is a magic word for said arse-kicking NS: Vladracadabra!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
It must be great to be in demand.
I believe you are too as a warm up act for various comedians across the country. You only do one joke, you tell it about them but in a meta angle someone tells the same joke about you befor you go on, except you told it about them .... infinite regress in a Vlad joke.

Gonnagle

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:17:06 AM »
Dear Vlad,

Wise and whacky, a perfect description of our Sane. :P

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »

I have a daughter living in New Zealand, so claim that as some sort of reason for chipping in. I would hate her to live in a country whose flag looked like a badly drawn ear.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
Great to see a country considering ditching the butchers apron.
Mind you, after what the wielders of that butchers apron did to the native population, it's taken them a long time to ditch it.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
Mind you, after what the wielders of that butchers apron did to the native population, it's taken them a long time to ditch it.

Former butchers and rabid nationalism is a mix that makes me uneasy.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »

-
The term 'butchers' apron' was first used colloquially in the British Navy in the Napoleonic Wars.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »

The term 'butchers' apron' was first used colloquially in the British Navy in the Napoleonic Wars.

Yes used by Irish Nationalists referring to atrocities committed in Ireland and other countries under British colonial rule, as we both remain British subjects we acknowledge our country has a sometimes shady past.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
Well, the 'United Irishmen' - a 'Protestant' led insurrection against British use - did use the term, Jakswan - but the common British seaman in the Royal Navy also used the term.
I don't recall them being particularly anti 'british'.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
Yawn

Not really: the "wielders of that butchers apron" still have all the power.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply