Author Topic: Re: WHAT makes a person saved in Christ Jesus?  (Read 10457 times)

Sassy

Re: WHAT makes a person saved in Christ Jesus?
« on: September 30, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
I asked that because it is clear from some of the things thrown out on this forum that some believers have changed the truth and substituted others.

As the bible warns against putting burdens on others I thought I would ask
what the believers actually believe saves them.

Alien
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
Quote from: Sassy on September 29, 2015, 01:02:56 PM
I asked that because it is clear from some of the things thrown out on this forum that some believers have changed the truth and substituted others.

Fundamentally, a recognition by that person that the person is a sinner who deserves God's judgement and wants to turn back to God's way (repentance). They ask God to forgive them (Jesus having died on the cross for them to make it possible), relying on him for forgiveness (rather than trying to earn their way into God's favour).

How would you put it, Sassy?

Would this not be better in the faith-sharing area?

As it was originally not well received by some in the Christian area I have moved it here and would like the mods to close the other thread please.

Alien,

It has always been to my knowledge the simple truth that anyone who believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died for their sins are saved. That this brings the baptism of the Holy Spirit and there is nothing that care take them away from Christ. That other beliefs and separate faith issues do not affect the power of this truth,

But so many go wrong by putting burdens on some by adding things they are suppose to believe but have nothing to do with the faith in Christ and eternal life.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »

Alien

Fundamentally, a recognition by that person that the person is a sinner who deserves God's judgement and wants to turn back to God's way (repentance). They ask God to forgive them (Jesus having died on the cross for them to make it possible), relying on him for forgiveness (rather than trying to earn their way into God's favour).

As it was originally not well received by some in the Christian area I have moved it here and would like the mods to close the other thread please.

Alien,

It has always been to my knowledge the simple truth that anyone who believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died for their sins are saved. That this brings the baptism of the Holy Spirit and there is nothing that care take them away from Christ. That other beliefs and separate faith issues do not affect the power of this truth,

But so many go wrong by putting burdens on some by adding things they are suppose to believe but have nothing to do with the faith in Christ and eternal life.
I very largely agree with you, actually. As AO has said elsewhere, we are saved by grace and as 2Corrie has said that is through faith. My stance on the baptism of/with/in the Holy Spirit is that it is part of the package of being saved. When we are saved we are washed clean of our sins. Baptism is a word we have churchified. It is, however, a bog standard Greek word meaning to "wash thoroughly" the "zo" bit on the end of "baptizo" has this idea of thoroughness and is different from the "bapto" version, which is less intense. That various Christians have experiences subsequent to conversion, I would not deny (indeed I would positively affirm it), but I think the term "Baptism of/with/in the Holy Spirit" is not the correct one to use. Personally, as long as people explain what they mean, they can call it what they like. The reality of the experience is far more important than the term we use.

I would add a bit to your statement though. On the day of Pentecost, Peter told people that they needed to "repent" (and be baptized). There is a change of attitude, a change to our way of thinking that is needed. If you are including that in your belief bit then I am in agreement with you.

You and I disagree pretty fundamentally on what "Son of God" means though. Though I would never share in "mission" with a Unitarian like yourself (it would be too confusing for people), I am not saying that this means you are not saved. I doubt whether the repentant thief on the cross had a proper understanding of the Trinity, that Jesus was indeed God incarnate. He saw someone who was able and willing to forgive his sins. The only proviso I would put on this would be that if a person is truly saved he or she will surely follow what the Scriptures say about Jesus and come to the conclusion that he was and is God incarnate. That seems to me to be the natural result of getting saved.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Thank you alien that seems pretty concise,I would for the benefit of Sass show her  this conversation found in scripture.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

6 Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, 7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”                             Now Sass only God can forgive sins and Jesus said     “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

~TW~

" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »

Alien

Alien,

I very largely agree with you, actually. As AO has said elsewhere, we are saved by grace and as 2Corrie has said that is through faith. My stance on the baptism of/with/in the Holy Spirit is that it is part of the package of being saved. When we are saved we are washed clean of our sins. Baptism is a word we have churchified. It is, however, a bog standard Greek word meaning to "wash thoroughly" the "zo" bit on the end of "baptizo" has this idea of thoroughness and is different from the "bapto" version, which is less intense. That various Christians have experiences subsequent to conversion, I would not deny (indeed I would positively affirm it), but I think the term "Baptism of/with/in the Holy Spirit" is not the correct one to use. Personally, as long as people explain what they mean, they can call it what they like. The reality of the experience is far more important than the term we use.

I would add a bit to your statement though. On the day of Pentecost, Peter told people that they needed to "repent" (and be baptized). There is a change of attitude, a change to our way of thinking that is needed. If you are including that in your belief bit then I am in agreement with you.

You and I disagree pretty fundamentally on what "Son of God" means though. Though I would never share in "mission" with a Unitarian like yourself (it would be too confusing for people), I am not saying that this means you are not saved. I doubt whether the repentant thief on the cross had a proper understanding of the Trinity, that Jesus was indeed God incarnate. He saw someone who was able and willing to forgive his sins. The only proviso I would put on this would be that if a person is truly saved he or she will surely follow what the Scriptures say about Jesus and come to the conclusion that he was and is God incarnate. That seems to me to be the natural result of getting saved.

What we do not agree on has nothing to do with being saved. It is not a condition of being saved. The book of Luke tells us Christ is an Holy Thing and must be called the Son of God.

Whilst we differ on what it means for Christ to be the Son of God.
If Christ was equal in nature and position to the Father he would know all things for God alone knows the hour of his return and therefore is the only one with the characteristics of God.

Acts 10 makes it clearer to understand what a person is to believe when Peter preaches to the Gentiles. Grace...

King James Bible
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

We could not earn or even pay for what we received. The true grace of God in that it was given freely and we did not deserve it and could not earn it. We did not deserve his love and could not earn Gods forgiveness and yet whilst still sinners and before anyone repented God sent his Son to die for our sins. Giving those who believe the baptism of the Spirit.

I am what I am by the power of God regarding my faith. Jesus and I, worship one God and hold no other before the one true God.
But salvation is about belief in what Jesus Christ has done.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »
Thank you alien that seems pretty concise,I would for the benefit of Sass show her  this conversation found in scripture.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

6 Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, 7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”                             Now Sass only God can forgive sins and Jesus said     “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

~TW~

I should remind you that God forgave sins even before Christ came.
The goat who was sent away with them and the sacrifices made by the high priest.
Now Christ said: Go your sins are forgiven. You see the men who brought their friends thought his need to be healed was greater. But Christ saw he sought forgiveness and assurance of forgiveness even more than his healing.

He also says when questioned (from memory) " To show you that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins, take up your bed and walk."
Just as the high priest had power on earth to take away the sins of the people by sacrifice. But it is God who forgives and we know Christ has been made the way by which men are forgiven and the power to enter through Christ to God. Hence the tearing of the veil in the Temple when Christ died now showing the way to God is through Christ and his sacrifice of himself.

So the Jews believed only God could forgive sins. But as the way shows that he forgives our sins through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. That Jesus Christ is the means by which our sins are forgiven. Are you saying that man wasn't forgiven that God was not speaking through Christ?
When the disciples said "Your sins are forgiven" were they God?

38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

As judge of the quick and the dead, didn't Christ have the right to forgive sins?

You should not confuse who Christ is with the authority given to him by God who was with him.

Did the priest believe once the sacrifice was made that God had forgiven the people and so he gave them absolution? Do not the priest today in the Roman Catholic Church believe when they have heard confession that they give absolution?

But Christ is the judge of the quick and the dead, and when he has put all things back under God he will then place himself back under God.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Last of all Christ himself becomes subject to God again.

Christ never made himself equal to God. He never placed himself above God or on equal par.
Only the Son of perdition will make himself to be as God to others.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Christ never made himself out to be God, he was always the Son of God.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:33:47 AM »
Sass your post are so boring reams of nothing,so just a quick answer you tell no one can see God.Wrong.

22 “We are doomed to die!” he said to his wife. “We have seen God!”

23 But his wife answered, “If the Lord had meant to kill us, he would not have accepted a burnt offering and grain offering from our hands, nor shown us all these things or now told us this.”

Read your Bible Sass all of it.

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »
Though I would never share in "mission" with a Unitarian like yourself (it would be too confusing for people), I am not saying that this means you are not saved. I doubt whether the repentant thief on the cross had a proper understanding of the Trinity, that Jesus was indeed God incarnate. He saw someone who was able and willing to forgive his sins. The only proviso I would put on this would be that if a person is truly saved he or she will surely follow what the Scriptures say about Jesus and come to the conclusion that he was and is God incarnate. That seems to me to be the natural result of getting saved.

Could you explain the difference between

saved
truly saved
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »
Sass your post are so boring reams of nothing,so just a quick answer you tell no one can see God.Wrong.

22 “We are doomed to die!” he said to his wife. “We have seen God!”

23 But his wife answered, “If the Lord had meant to kill us, he would not have accepted a burnt offering and grain offering from our hands, nor shown us all these things or now told us this.”

Read your Bible Sass all of it.

~TW~

Why would they be doomed to die... Did they see God. What did God look like?
So the NT is lying and you are calling the disciples and Prophets liars.
King James Bible
No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Many have met with God, even Moses but no one has seen God.
Stephen looked up as he died and saw what?

3 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.

4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:

5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

6 Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of an angel of God, very terrible: but I asked him not whence he was, neither told he me his name:

Post all the truth from the passage as it shows an angel of the LORD (God) man of God spoke to them in Judges 13.

20 For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar. And Manoah and his wife looked on it, and fell on their faces to the ground.

21 But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an angel of the LORD.

22 And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.

It is clear from the NT that the OT does not at any time mean God himself appeared and showed his form. It is clear a man of God even an angel appeared and we know they are without sin and are sons of God and the words they speak are directly from God.

Isaiah 54:17.King James Bible
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Read and weep, at your deliberate attempt to ignore the truth of the bible for your own means.

God isn't fooled and for you to suggest otherwise is untruthful.
King James Bible
Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Is Jesus a liar too?

So why state something contrary to the teachings of Christ?
The same John also said:-King James Bible
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Who is Jesus talking about here?

You may try and stir things up but as Christ taught...

King James Bible
And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

When we believe in Jesus we are not here to make up our own beliefs but to adhere to his doctrine. WHY?
john 4 :25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
Deuteronomy

15 The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

The Messiah to bring the truth of God.

Instead of attacking me you might want to get the truth of the bible correct first.
Because the truth of the bible is what the Prophets and Christ spoke about.
He himself and John said no man has seen God.

When did you consider your beliefs to be above the teachings of Christ, the Prophets and the Disciples?

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
You really are a clown Sass and a lost Clown those people saw the pre-incarnate Lord known as THE Angel of The Lord.

He was the one that Walked with Adam in the garden he is the creator,  3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. The word made flesh,and when the word is made flesh we see the Angel of the Lord no more and for you just for you

12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

Ask God to remove the scales from your eyes and be saved so that you can say   

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

~TW~

Alien

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
Though I would never share in "mission" with a Unitarian like yourself (it would be too confusing for people), I am not saying that this means you are not saved. I doubt whether the repentant thief on the cross had a proper understanding of the Trinity, that Jesus was indeed God incarnate. He saw someone who was able and willing to forgive his sins. The only proviso I would put on this would be that if a person is truly saved he or she will surely follow what the Scriptures say about Jesus and come to the conclusion that he was and is God incarnate. That seems to me to be the natural result of getting saved.

saved
truly saved
Nothing really. What I meant above was "... if a person really is saved he or she..."
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »

saved
truly saved
Nothing really. What I meant above was "... if a person really is saved he or she..."

Does that mean that you consider it unlikely that Sassy 'really is saved' because she (currently?) does not follow what the Scriptures say about Jesus and come to the conclusion that he was and is God incarnate.

Which seems to you to be the natural result of getting saved.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »

Should you not have stated that "It has always been my understanding that anyone who believes ..." Sass?

Furthermore, is it his death that saves us or his death and resurrection?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Alien

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

saved
truly saved

Does that mean that you consider it unlikely that Sassy 'really is saved' because she (currently?) does not follow what the Scriptures say about Jesus and come to the conclusion that he was and is God incarnate.
I don't know. If what Sassy posts is her posting honestly (and I have no reason to presume otherwise), then it may just be that she is confused about what the Scriptures say. Sassy does seem to be one of the people here who are least likely to listen to what other people say, but I may be wrong.

Fortunately, I am not the one who is to decide whether she is saved. She may well be and I hope she is.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
Sassy does seem to be one of the people here who are least likely to listen to what other people say, but I may be wrong.

IMO, you are not wrong! ;)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 01:37:52 AM »
You really are a clown Sass and a lost Clown those people saw the pre-incarnate Lord known as THE Angel of The Lord.

Where is the teaching in the OT which says Christ was an angel.
If Christ was an angel then he could not die as a man.
Do you not understand what is taught,

He was the one that Walked with Adam in the garden he is the creator,  3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. The word made flesh,and when the word is made flesh we see the Angel of the Lord no more and for you just for you

You have no idea what you are talking about.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

God spoke everything into being. Can't  you understand that.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
All things made by God.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

God is the light it is his life which is the light of our life. God being he light.

12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

If you read it in the knowledge of God having given this to Christ from himself.
Then you see you are confusing God with Jesus Christ.
                                                                                                          16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

Does not make Jesus God.
Ask God to remove the scales from your eyes and be saved so that you can say   

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

~TW~
God and Jesus Christ are two separate persons. God is not a human being nor has he ever been a  man. Jesus is fully human and always has been. His nature is divine. But he is not God.God was with him and spoke through him.

Sassy

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 01:43:59 AM »

saved
truly saved

Salvation is about Jesus dying for sins and rising from the dead. God sent his angel to Mary and specifically told her this...

32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.[/b]

So Jesus is to be called and known as the SON of God NOT God.
Which seems to you to be the natural result of getting saved.

The natural result of getting saved is being taught by the Spirit.

Alien

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
If Christ was an angel then he could not die as a man....
The Hebrew word for "angel" (malak) and the Greek word for "angel" (angelos) basically mean "messenger". John the Baptist is described as an "angelos" and he died as a man.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
The natural result of getting saved is being taught by the Spirit. Thats what you write Sass the problem is the Holy Spirit is God.

~TW~

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
Ehrman using standard historical method agrees with sass.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
The natural result of getting saved is being taught by the Spirit. Thats what you write Sass the problem is the Holy Spirit is God.

~TW~

And we have one teacher He is the Christ!
"It is finished."

Sassy

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:29 AM »
If Christ was an angel then he could not die as a man....
The Hebrew word for "angel" (malak) and the Greek word for "angel" (angelos) basically mean "messenger". John the Baptist is described as an "angelos" and he died as a man.

What are you doing adding to the word of God. YOU need to accept Christ could not be an angel.

4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

As you can see John was not an angel and whether a messenger or not man and angels are different.  Angels are created unable to die. Man is lower than angels.

John was a man and so was Christ but angels are angles.

Sassy

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:45 AM »

~TW~

Your problem is that you have no understanding of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Other than what you have been told...

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 12:32:25 AM »

~TW~

And we have one teacher He is the Christ!

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.King James Bible
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 12:33:08 AM »
We know whom the teachings from the Spirit comes from...

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »

~TW~

Your problem is that you have no understanding of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Other than what you have been told...

Really so who told me and how about you telling us all,{and we all disagree with you} where we have gone wrong,and how you are so correct.

~TW~