Author Topic: Orthodox Christianity and original sin  (Read 3747 times)

Bubbles

Orthodox Christianity and original sin
« on: October 24, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
I have been reading this

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1776/original-sin/

It basically says original sin only exists in Western Christianity not in Eastern Orthodox.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Especially interested in comments from Ad O

:)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Orthodox Christianity and original sin
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
From what I have read over the years, Rose, the concept of original sin predates the 'Great Schism' between West and East by about 1000 years.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
It is due to Augustine of Hippo who lived in the 4th and fifth centuries. The Great Schism happened in the 11th century.

Of course, the Orthodox church could have rejected the concept after the schism. Ad O will know the answer.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
It depends what you mean by "original sin". If by it you mean we all inherent the consequence Adam's sin, which is death, then yes, we do believe in original sin. If by it you mean we all share in the guilt of it, then no.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:50:08 PM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
It is due to Augustine of Hippo who lived in the 4th and fifth centuries. The Great Schism happened in the 11th century.
"The concept of original sin was first alluded to in the 2nd century by Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons in his controversy with certain dualist Gnostics." wikipedia
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
Does the year that this bloke thought it up either validate the idea or not?
The fact that it was that early in the life of the church makes it more likely that it was something that existed at the beginning of Christianity as opposed to the 5th century references by Augustine.

Does it really matter?

If you think it matters, why does it matter?
If the idea of original sin is correct, then all those like you who seem to dismiss it and its consequences would need to rethink their positions.

Seems like another load of old tosh to me Hope but no doubt you are able to explain.
Seems to me that you regard a lot of stuff to be 'old tosh'; you have the right to believe that, but it doesn't mean your belief is correct.  Furthermore, some of the stuff you believe to be 'old tosh' is pretty modern!!   ;)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:41 PM »
I have been reading this

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1776/original-sin/

It basically says original sin only exists in Western Christianity not in Eastern Orthodox.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Especially interested in comments from Ad O

:)

I think it is immaterial what was believed before the Messiah came.
Not that the truth was immaterial but the truth showed the Messiah was to bring the final truth about Gods word to man.

So what the Jews believed differed.  They could have more than one  belief as the Sadducees and Pharisees prove. One believing in angels and the other not believing in Angels.

So what was understood about Genesis and Adam and Eve would only be realised in Christ.

The real question is who is right. Jesus or Islam.

Jesus Christ is the answer. He knew what he was talking about.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:24:52 AM »
Moderator:

I'm locking this thread temporarily while I review it.

Having had a look the derails here were certainly glaring, along with some instances of personal abuse, so I've stripped out all these posts and will now move this thread to the Faith Sharing Area.

Gordon
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:01:23 AM by Gordon »