Author Topic: Gaelic Polytheist  (Read 28529 times)

Bubbles

Gaelic Polytheist
« on: November 08, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
http://www.tairis.co.uk

I thought this was an interesting site.

Wondered what others thought.

He describes himself as a "Gaelic Polytheist"

Owlswing

Re: Gaelic Polytheist
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
http://www.tairis.co.uk

I thought this was an interesting site.

Wondered what others thought.

He describes himself as a "Gaelic Polytheist"

For Gaelic you can read Celtic.

Other than that it is a fairly large site and it will take some time for me to read through it all. I will however do so over the next couple of days (?) when I can get a break from other things I have promised to do for various friends.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
Yeah I thought that. It's like the site wants to distance itself from the sentimental Enya-esque fashion for all things Celtic that arises from some quarters.

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »
Yeah I thought that. It's like the site wants to distance itself from the sentimental Enya-esque fashion for all things Celtic that arises from some quarters.

It does say that a "Gaelic Polytheist" is an abbreviation of "Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist" as the latter is a mouthful.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:19:26 PM »
So presumably he's cutting himself off from all things Welsh and Cornish.  :-\

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 04:21:12 PM »
So presumably he's cutting himself off from all things Welsh and Cornish.  :-\

Actually he is rather inclusive in his description.

He describes "Celtic" as beiung an umbrella under which shelter, among other things, groups of languages and peoples grouped within those languages -

Under "Historical" linguistic groups he includes

Gaulish
Brythonic
Piuctish
Cumbric
Galatian
Lepontic
Celt-Iberian
and
Noric

Under "Modern" linguistis groups

Irish
Scots Gealic (otherwise known, he says, just as Gaelic)
Manx
Welsh
Cornish

and

Breton.

Rhiannon

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
Sorry, Owlswing, I don't have the time to look at the site.  :-[

So do you think he's just distancing himself from fluffy Celtic hug-a-harp stuff?

Owlswing

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
Sorry, Owlswing, I don't have the time to look at the site.  :-[

So do you think he's just distancing himself from fluffy Celtic hug-a-harp stuff?

I've only read the first page myself! I'm posting here during my tea-break from creating a listing of Yu-Gi-Oh cards - 11,000 of them!

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
That's dedication!  :D

Owlswing

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »

No, it is terminal and incurable insanity!

Hey ho! get earns me afew bob that helps the pension!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »

No, it is terminal and incurable insanity!

Hey ho! get earns me afew bob that helps the pension!

Glad to see it confirmed!
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Owlswing

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »
Rose

Right - the writer is what is called a "reconstructionist" pagan.

Most pagans go with the knowledge that we "know" very little of what was actually said and/or done in the rituals of the pre-christian pagans and do what feels right to them, taking into account (sometimes) what others do or say.

Reconstructionists go rather further. They will dig throiugh every last sentence written about the pre-christian era by anyone and everyone from any and every academic discipline.

They are literally trying to "reconstruct" the ancient beliefs and rituals.

Needless to say, there can be, but not necessarily are, frictions between the "reconstructionist pagans" and the "neo-pagans".

My personal take on this is the oft-quoted "go with what you, the individual, feels to be right". Because there tend to be traffic upgrades from neo to reconstructionist, the latter tend to consider themselves ro be the "real" pagans and look down on the rest of us.

Let them!

I, for one, find them to be far more interested in the what, why, and how of it all and the connection to the deity which can be effected by either discipline, neo or reconstructionist, becomes lost in the search for exactly how it was done in the past instead of concentrating on the fact that we are in the now not in the then. As far as I am concerned the deities know what I am doing and what I am saying and why I am saying it without it having to be letter perfect as it was done two or more thousand years ago - we get enough of that from people like Hope and BA and Sassy who forget that things have changed in the world over the last two thousand years.

I will, eventually, when time and other things allow, read the entire article but the essence of it is encapsulated by the above.

I hope that this is of use to you. If your reading of the article gives rise to any questions please post them and I will do my best to answer them. I and Rhi (and the resting Horsethorn) are the only pagans posting here so you can safely ignore any supposedly erudite comments from others seeking to score points against us pagans.

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »
The big problem for reconstructionists is that academic opinion changes all the time as the body of knowledge grows. It seems like a pretty futile excericise to me.

Owlswing

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
The big problem for reconstructionists is that academic opinion changes all the time as the body of knowledge grows. It seems like a pretty futile excericise to me.

Ah yes, but, in their view, each new piece of knowledge takes them closer to their goal of the "real" Celtic Paganism and thus end their frustration at not having done things "right" before due to a lack of knowledge.

Rhiannon

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
Which is fine, except that means they've just been doing it wrong. Which is a bit weird considering their claim to be authentic.

Owlswing

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
Which is fine, except that means they've just been doing it wrong. Which is a bit weird considering their claim to be authentic.

See, here we have the conundrum.

The explanation seems to be better incomplete than not at all.

See, most pagans are open to the possibility that their deities might not exist but are wiilling have faith that they do, so they work with that. Reconstructionists are rather like christians like BA, Hope and Sassy - they are not willing to admit that anyone else could be 'righter' than they are.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:56:57 AM by Owlswing »

Rhiannon

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
Incomplete is fine, so long as that's acknowledged and no superiority attached to that.

My path is so loose I don't know if it even has a name, but it doesn't feel any the less authentic for that.

Owlswing

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
Incomplete is fine, so long as that's acknowledged and no superiority attached to that.

My path is so loose I don't know if it even has a name, but it doesn't feel any the less authentic for that.

Precisely - you and I are complete pains in the butt , sorry, anathema, to the die-hard reconstructionist.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:04:44 PM by Owlswing »

Rhiannon

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
It wasn't until recently that Id heard some reconstructionists go in for animal sacrifice. Never come across it personally, but still... >:(

Owlswing

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »
It wasn't until recently that Id heard some reconstructionists go in for animal sacrifice. Never come across it personally, but still... >:(

They do, so I'm told, keep it quiet.

The author states, in setion headed "But what about . . . you know . . . the bad stuff?:

Human sacrifice, s the most obvious example, is not a part of Celtic Reconstruction, and for a lot of people neither is animal sacrifice (though some do - generally those who homestead and raise anf kill their own livestock anyway).

A lot? Not 'many', not the 'majority'. Hmm!

Rhiannon

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
that to me is where practice tips over into something else - I hate to say 'play acting' but almost - it's like they are so slavishly following a supposed authentic path but haven't stopped to think about what it is they are actually doing.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »

See, here we have the conundrum.

The explanation seems to be better incomplete than not at all.

See, most pagans are open to the possibility that their deities might not exist but are wiilling have faith that they do, so they work with that. Reconstructionists are rather like christians like BA, Hope and Sassy - they are not willing to admit that anyone else could be 'righter' than they are.

I wonder if it's an aspect of paganism to mis-represent others?  Or is it just your personal weakness?
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
I wonder if it's an aspect of paganism to mis-represent others?
You're not a pagan yet routinely misrepresent others, so the answer is no.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
I wonder if it's an aspect of paganism to mis-represent others?
You're not a pagan yet routinely misrepresent others, so the answer is no.

How is it that you never seem to criticise, or even comment on paganism, some of whose adherents practise very strange  things, and have very strange beliefs?  It would seem it is Christianity about which you have a hang-up.  There are people who help those with such "afflictions."
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
How is it that you never seem to criticise, or even comment on paganism, some of whose adherents practise very strange  things, and have very strange beliefs?  It would seem it is Christianity about which you have a hang-up.  There are people who help those with such "afflictions."
Various reasons.

Paganism.is a massive subject - the one word doesn't cover every variety, shade and nuance of pagan belief and practice. I've read a fair number of books on different aspects of paganism and, far too rarely, have chatted to a few pagans in person but it's barely even a scratch on the scratch of the surface. I don't know about the "very strange things" to which you refer but whatever they may be, their practitioners seem to pursue their path and go their own way without making any song and dance about it. They don't seem to care what other people do and believe and expect the same from others. They don't seem to want their religion tied up with the state. They don't seem to want governmental representation as of right. They don't seem to want to dictate how other people live their lives, such as who can marry whom and who can watch this or that and what have you. They seem to get on with their own thing privately, without demanding attention or deference from anybody else. Doubtless pagans are as pleased as anyone else if somebody decides to adopt a pagan path but in my experience at least they don't proselytise - they don't obtrude themselves on you wanting to tell you about their beliefs; if you want to find out it's easy enough but you have to make the running; nobody comes knocking on your door when you're eating your lunch. Not a theist (neither are scads of pagans, come to that), I'm sympathetic to the concept of a religion which takes as its basis the real and the true - nature - about which I said more in a post or two on the 'Seasons' thread.

That's why, amongst other reasons.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:39:23 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.