Author Topic: Gaelic Polytheist  (Read 28543 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: Gaelic Polytheist
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
How is it that you never seem to criticise, or even comment on paganism, some of whose adherents practise very strange  things, and have very strange beliefs?  It would seem it is Christianity about which you have a hang-up.  There are people who help those with such "afflictions."
Various reasons.

Paganism.is a massive subject - the one word doesn't cover every variety, shade and nuance of pagan belief and practice. I've read a fair number of books on different aspects of paganism and, far too rarely, have chatted to a few pagans in person but it's barely even a scratch on the scratch of the surface. I don't know about the "very strange things" to which you refer but whatever they may be, their practitioners seem to pursue their path and go their own way without making any song and dance about it. They don't seem to care what other people do and believe and expect the same from others. They don't seem to want their religion tied up with the state. They don't seem to want governmental representation as of right. They don't seem to want to dictate how other people live their lives, such as who can marry whom and who can watch this or that and what have you. They seem to get on with their own thing privately, without demanding attention or deference from anybody else. Not a theist (neither are scads of pagans, come to that), I'm sympathetic to the concept of a religion which takes as its basis the real and the true - nature - about which I said more in a post on the 'Seasons' thread.

That's why, amongst other reasons.

You do write the most "see-through" twaddle.  Anyone who believes that sanctimonious tosh is short of a marble or two.
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
I hope it's see-through - I strive for clarity.

To be sanctimonious is to make a show of hypocritical because pretended holiness or piety - definitely not my scene.

I've answered your question to the best of my ability; if you can't understand or don't like the answer, that's not my problem.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:46:05 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Owlswing

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
that to me is where practice tips over into something else - I hate to say 'play acting' but almost - it's like they are so slavishly following a supposed authentic path but haven't stopped to think about what it is they are actually doing.

This is why there can be friction between the neo's and the Recons.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Owlswing

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »
How is it that you never seem to criticise, or even comment on paganism, some of whose adherents practise very strange  things, and have very strange beliefs?  It would seem it is Christianity about which you have a hang-up.  There are people who help those with such "afflictions."
Various reasons.

Paganism.is a massive subject - the one word doesn't cover every variety, shade and nuance of pagan belief and practice. I've read a fair number of books on different aspects of paganism and, far too rarely, have chatted to a few pagans in person but it's barely even a scratch on the scratch of the surface. I don't know about the "very strange things" to which you refer but whatever they may be, their practitioners seem to pursue their path and go their own way without making any song and dance about it. They don't seem to care what other people do and believe and expect the same from others. They don't seem to want their religion tied up with the state. They don't seem to want governmental representation as of right. They don't seem to want to dictate how other people live their lives, such as who can marry whom and who can watch this or that and what have you. They seem to get on with their own thing privately, without demanding attention or deference from anybody else. Doubtless pagans are as pleased as anyone else if somebody decides to adopt a pagan path but in my experience at least they don't proselytise - they don't obtrude themselves on you wanting to tell you about their beliefs; if you want to find out it's easy enough but you have to make the running; nobody comes knocking on your door when you're eating your lunch. Not a theist (neither are scads of pagans, come to that), I'm sympathetic to the concept of a religion which takes as its basis the real and the true - nature - about which I said more in a post or two on the 'Seasons' thread.

Shaker

It is nice to see a non-pagan who has at least some understanding of our beliefs amd belief paths.

I hope that you also understand just how personal a belief path it is.

You are free to ask any questions you wish of either Rhi or myself. I cannot answer for Rhi, but I can asure you that I will answer you as fully as I possibly can without wandering into the realm of the oath-bound.

If I do not have an answer I will always try to direct you to someone or somewhere that might help you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:51:20 PM by Owlswing »
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Shaker

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 02:49:55 PM »
Very sincerely appreciated, O  :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
Various reasons.

Paganism.is a massive subject - the one word doesn't cover every variety, shade and nuance of pagan belief and practice. I've read a fair number of books on different aspects of paganism and, far too rarely, have chatted to a few pagans in person but it's barely even a scratch on the scratch of the surface. I don't know about the "very strange things" to which you refer but whatever they may be, their practitioners seem to pursue their path and go their own way without making any song and dance about it. They don't seem to care what other people do and believe and expect the same from others. They don't seem to want their religion tied up with the state. They don't seem to want governmental representation as of right. They don't seem to want to dictate how other people live their lives, such as who can marry whom and who can watch this or that and what have you. They seem to get on with their own thing privately, without demanding attention or deference from anybody else. Not a theist (neither are scads of pagans, come to that), I'm sympathetic to the concept of a religion which takes as its basis the real and the true - nature - about which I said more in a post on the 'Seasons' thread.

You do write the most "see-through" twaddle.  Anyone who believes that sanctimonious tosh is short of a marble or two.

If you only had the faintest clue how bone-crushingly wrong that is...

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
Various reasons.

If you only had the faintest clue how bone-crushingly wrong that is...

How come, then, if your beliefs are so obviously the right path, so few people are adherents?  Some 50,000 out of a population of 65,000,000?
BA.

Rhiannon

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
There are only two reasons why I share anything of my path with anybody.

One, because I know from my own journey how hard it is to find good, clear advice.

Two, because of those moments when you share something and someone else comes along and says, yeah, I get that, that means something to me too. Precious beyond price.

Rhiannon

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
I wasn't referring to the 'rightness' of my path, BA.

Btw autocorrect keeps trying to change your name to 'baa'.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
I wasn't referring to the 'rightness' of my path, BA.

Btw autocorrect keeps trying to change your name to 'baa'.

I was referring to paganism, generally, and its adherents, not you personally.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:22:42 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Rhiannon

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »
And I was referring to the clarity and understanding in Shaker's writing. To refer to it as 'twaddle' is just plain wrong even if you don't agree with the content.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
And I was referring to the clarity and understanding in Shaker's writing. To refer to it as 'twaddle' is just plain wrong even if you don't agree with the content.

It was sycophantic and merely an attempt to ingratiate himself with the likes of you, and attempt to make himself look reasonable in his anti-theist stance.  I'm surprised you didn't appreciate that.  I know Shaker from many moons back, and he doesn't pull the wool over my eyes.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »
It was sycophantic and merely an attempt to ingratiate himself with the likes of you
In what the late Eric Morley used to call reserve [sic] order, I don't think I'm known for trying to ingratiate myself with anyone, and there was nothing sycophantic about it. It was my (poor) attempt to explain what I know of paganism (too little) and how I've come to know it, and something of what I think of it.

Owlswing

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »
It was sycophantic and merely an attempt to ingratiate himself with the likes of you
In what the late Eric Morley used to call reserve [sic] order, I don't think I'm known for trying to ingratiate myself with anyone, and there was nothing sycophantic about it. It was my (poor) attempt to explain what I know of paganism (too little) and how I've come to know it, and something of what I think of it.

A bit of honesty that is appreciated. Honesty instead of religious bullshit by the ton!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »

A bit of honesty that is appreciated. Honesty instead of religious bullshit by the ton!

Shaker is by far the most vitriolic and abusive anti-Christian poster I have encountered, anywhere.  If you find him in any way commendable, then I guess it says a lot about your judgement.
BA.

Rhiannon

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »

It was sycophantic and merely an attempt to ingratiate himself with the likes of you, and attempt to make himself look reasonable in his anti-theist stance.  I'm surprised you didn't appreciate that.  I know Shaker from many moons back, and he doesn't pull the wool over my eyes.

Did you really mean that last bit?

<bites lip>

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »

Did you really mean that last bit?

<bites lip>

I did, if you understand what I am saying .
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
How come, then, if your beliefs are so obviously the right path, so few people are adherents?  Some 50,000 out of a population of 65,000,000?
My impression of pagans is that they tend to be very much more comfortable and at home with the concept of subjective truth - "Right for me, but not necessarily you" - than acolytes of monotheistic faiths. Owlswing states this openly on a fairly regular basis. Christianity and other monotheistic religions make putative truth claims which purport to be absolutely and universally true for everyone at all times in all places. Jesus said: I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the father except through me. There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet. And so on. These are absolutist, dogmatic statements that leave no room for subjective interpretation.

Many pagans on the other hand - not all, but by far the great majority I've encountered in person and online - find this sort of thing (if they are honest) every bit as foolish and limited and narrow as I do, though they may put it more diplomatically than that. They don't seem to mind talking about subjective truth and personal/individual paths.

Shaker

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »
Shaker is by far the most vitriolic and abusive anti-Christian poster I have encountered, anywhere.  If you find him in any way commendable, then I guess it says a lot about your judgement.
Flattered as I am, many of us know of old how intemperately, even downright histrionically you react to the merest hint of criticism of, challenge to and critique of your beliefs, so your bar for vitriol and abuse is calibrated vastly lower than it is for the overwhelming majority.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
Flattered as I am, many of us know of old how intemperately, even downright histrionically you react to the merest hint of criticism of, challenge to and critique of your beliefs, so your bar for vitriol and abuse is calibrated vastly lower than it is for the overwhelming majority.

This from someone who has described Jesus as a "zombie on a stick."
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
Not original - I saw that on a T-shirt once   :D

Rhiannon

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »

Let's be honest, I doubt very many of us have you down as a sycophant.

Shaker

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »
That's honest to a bloody fault  :P

Rhiannon

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »
 :D

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 04:03:31 PM »
That's honest to a bloody fault  :P

It's taken a while for you to revert to swearing.
BA.