Author Topic: Isaiah 52:13-53: whatever..  (Read 62898 times)

floo

Re: Isaiah 52:13-53: whatever..
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »
So you don't think posting

'Miracles don't happen in reality!'

comes across that way?

OK but where is the evidence to support any miracles? I was once told by an intelligent guy that the dead were being resurrected in Africa. When I challenged his statement he couldn't provide the evidence to support it. In my opinion, the default position should be disbelief until corroborative evidence is provided.

Shaker

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »
OK but where is the evidence to support any miracles? I was once told by an intelligent guy that the dead were being resurrected in Africa. When I challenged his statement he couldn't provide the evidence to support it.
Alan Burns claimed, not tremendously long ago, that a miracle occurred with regard to a very sick baby in a London hospital, an event witnessed not by him personally (needless to say ...) but by several other persons still living and thus potentially capable of being tracked down and contacted in order to be asked about this alleged incident to see if their record of events matched Alan's second-hand account.

Needless to say, the response was precisely and exactly the same ...
In my opinion, the default position should be disbelief until corroborative evidence is provided.
That's the only rationally defensible position to take.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Maeght

« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
OK but where is the evidence to support any miracles? I was once told by an intelligent guy that the dead were being resurrected in Africa. When I challenged his statement he couldn't provide the evidence to support it. In my opinion, the default position should be disbelief until corroborative evidence is provided.

Wouldn't it be better to ask those who believe in miracles for the evidence and to challenge that evidence?

I don't suggest that miracles happen - far from it - but would just like this forum to be more about discussion rather than a series of one liners with smilies and the like which really are just people 'having a go' at each other. If it was more like that I might post more often but sadly every thread seems to be derailed into petty (and repetative) sniping. I know this is a vain hope but I do keep holding it.

Maeght

« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »

Needless to say, the response was precisely and exactly the same ... That's the only rationally defensible position to take.

If one has a belief in God then it seems reasonable to think that such events could be due to divine intervention. The irrational element comes in when not investigating the events and blindly believing what one has heard or been told.

floo

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
A person will get better unexpectedly from time to time, but that doesn't mean a deity has cured them. There is more than likely a natural explanation. Besides which, as has been pointed out many times before, if the deity can cure someone, why does it do it so infrequently, playing silly beggars with people's lives? Alan's friend Becky is a case in point, if the poor lady does recover eventually, no doubt god will get all the praise, in spite of stringing along her poor family for all this time. If she doesn't recover, no doubt the deity won't be blamed and an excuse will be found for its vile behaviour!

Shaker

« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2016, 01:41:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to ask those who believe in miracles for the evidence and to challenge that evidence?
A fairly pointless exercise, since at this juncture they will wheel out the same old gripes about "But you think the only evidence is physical, empirical evidence ..." thereby implying (and at least sometimes explicitly stating) that they have a different kind of evidence which isn't physical/empirical. The sceptic then obviously replies: "OK, so provide us, even in outline, with a working methodology of your own supposedly able to evaluate your claims and ascertain their truth or falsity." And at that point the believers suddenly remember they've left the gas on, or that the books need to go back to the library, and disappear.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Maeght

« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2016, 02:09:10 PM »
A person will get better unexpectedly from time to time, but that doesn't mean a deity has cured them. There is more than likely a natural explanation. Besides which, as has been pointed out many times before, if the deity can cure someone, why does it do it so infrequently, playing silly beggars with people's lives? Alan's friend Becky is a case in point, if the poor lady does recover eventually, no doubt god will get all the praise, in spite of stringing along her poor family for all this time. If she doesn't recover, no doubt the deity won't be blamed and an excuse will be found for its vile behaviour!

Not sure why you posted that Floo - if aimed at me - since I have said I personally don't believe in miracles.

Maeght

« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2016, 02:10:53 PM »
A fairly pointless exercise, since at this juncture they will wheel out the same old gripes about "But you think the only evidence is physical, empirical evidence ..." thereby implying (and at least sometimes explicitly stating) that they have a different kind of evidence which isn't physical/empirical. The sceptic then obviously replies: "OK, so provide us, even in outline, with a working methodology of your own supposedly able to evaluate your claims and ascertain their truth or falsity." And at that point the believers suddenly remember they've left the gas on, or that the books need to go back to the library, and disappear.

Absolutely - then you can leave the discussion gracefully, which is what I try to do. Stating things in one liners doesn't really take the discussion on at all.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:13:58 PM by Maeght »

floo

« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
I have no idea what you are on about Maeght; are you having a bad day?

Maeght

« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »
I have no idea what you are on about Maeght; are you having a bad day?

I'm not in a good mood, no - but am surprised you have no idea what I'm on about none the less. Which part don't you get?

Sassy

« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
It is your garbage which is laughable, NOT that of Khatru!
As if you understood, either.
That is the most laughable...
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »
Not everyone else Sassy - I've pointed out this bad habit of yours of claiming that everyone sees things like you do before.

You have just under 3,000 posts. Come back when you are around often enough to comment... :)

Ps. How many of those posts are addressed to me? ;) 8) ::) ;D
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
You have just under 3,000 posts. Come back when you are around often enough to comment... :)

Sass, even someone with only one post would be able to clock that most of your posts are badly put together and nonsense! ;D

Maeght

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »

How often I post is irrelevant. Perhaps you should listen to what is being said because you do often claim that everyone else thinks like you do when this is not the case. A bit of self awareness wouldn't go a miss.

Probably quite a few since I tend to post when people make  mistakes, claim things to be true when they aren't or misrepresent the views of atheists or scientists and so on. What difference does it make?

Leonard James

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »
How often I post is irrelevant. Perhaps you should listen to what is being said because you do often claim that everyone else thinks like you do when this is not the case. A bit of self awareness wouldn't go a miss.

A truth as rock-solid as a mountain!

Probably quite a few since I tend to post when people make  mistakes, claim things to be true when they aren't or misrepresent the views of atheists or scientists and so on.

Blimey, that would involve answering every post from Sass!  :)

What difference does it make?

In this case, none! You are talking to a mind closed to everything except her personal interpretation of what the Bible claims.   ;)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »

You have fewer than 9,000 posts. Come back when you have got to five digits and then we'll see if you are worthy.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
So anyway - have we established that Issy 53 has fuck all to do with a messiah and/or the Christ yet?
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:05 PM »
So anyway - have we established that Issy 53 has fuck all to do with a messiah and/or the Christ yet?

Even if it did have anything to do with a messiah, that's not Jesus.

By the way, Christ is the Greek for messiah. Both mean "anointed one" and that could refer to a Jewish superhero saviour or to an ordinary king (who is anointed at his coronation). King David was a messiah (assuming he existed).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:38:17 PM by jeremyp »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Khatru

« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »

Oh, I understand alright.

I understand that I put humanity ahead of religious dogma based on the ramblings of late iron age goat herders.

I understand that the world is big enough for all faiths and atheists.

I understand that true Christians don't think the world is big enough.

I understand that true Christians cannot rest until the whole world bows the knee.

I understand that true Christians say that those who have declined their faith have forfeited their right to exist.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

Sassy

« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2016, 02:39:34 AM »

It isn't irrelevant. It is very relevant when commenting about a poster.
As for thinking as I do. I believe had you looked closely many people feel Floo's post are really a waste of time since there is nothing relevant to the topic more insults to believers. A little less self-awareness and awareness of the things said on the whole of the forum would not go amiss with you.
Probably quite a few since I tend to post when people make  mistakes, claim things to be true when they aren't or misrepresent the views of atheists or scientists and so on. What difference does it make?

As, if you had the knowledge or ability to do when it comes to Christianity. More of an attack of people with you than really adding anything to the topics... Sad but true.. now be a good boy and stop wasting peoples time on here.
See you when you next pop in... :D

Sassy

« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2016, 02:43:58 AM »
You have fewer than 9,000 posts. Come back when you have got to five digits and then we'll see if you are worthy.

How many of those with over 9.000 are from posts in the music thread?
Get a life Jeremyp and realise most of mine are answering threads. Not true of others is it?

You forget most of the threads are cut and posts lost so the count lessens. Even with the loss I still have 3 times that of the person I am responding to. You don't even have that with mine.

I guess the clue was about commenting on the contents of my posts... Clue being he is not here often enough to note the whole members of the board....

Sassy

« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2016, 02:44:41 AM »

You have established NOTHING. Since there are Jews who claim it does.

Sassy

« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2016, 02:49:59 AM »
Oh, I understand alright.

I understand that I put humanity ahead of religious dogma based on the ramblings of late iron age goat herders.

I understand that the world is big enough for all faiths and atheists.

I understand that true Christians don't think the world is big enough.

I understand that true Christians cannot rest until the whole world bows the knee.

I understand that true Christians say that those who have declined their faith have forfeited their right to exist.

All this from someone who couldn't even understand the reply he is answering was to FLOO.

Do you have multiple personality disorder where you think you are  Floo....

Quote from: Floo on February 19, 2016, 10:18:20 AM
It is your garbage which is laughable, NOT that of Khatru!

Quote from: Khatru on February 21, 2016, 11:44:00 PM

Calm down dear!  You cannot answer, I understand and think this little show of misplaced sarcasm and rage will cover it.
You really do lack don't you. You do yourself harm with posts like the above.
You write but it is all wind. No truth to it for yourself.

Maeght

« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2016, 08:41:35 AM »
It isn't irrelevant. It is very relevant when commenting about a poster.

It is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is if I have read your posts - and I have.

As for thinking as I do. I believe had you looked closely many people feel Floo's post are really a waste of time since there is nothing relevant to the topic more insults to believers.

But you make your claims for lots of other posters not just Floo and often to support points that many other posters don't agree with you on. It is a bad habit you need to get out of in my view.

A little less self-awareness and awareness of the things said on the whole of the forum would not go amiss with you.

I read a lot more than I post so am aware of the forum and what is being posted. Rather than just repeating back to me what I said about you, any particular things you think I need to be self aware about? ALways open to feedback.

As, if you had the knowledge or ability to do when it comes to Christianity.

I don't claim any knowledge about Christianity and don't post about it particularly. Perhaps you need better awareness of the forum in the way you suggested I do.

More of an attack of people with you than really adding anything to the topics

I guess you meant 'more of an attack on people with you not really adding anything to the topic' - if so, again, you need better awareness of the forum because I certainly don't attack anyone.

... Sad but true..

Not really.

now be a good boy

Patronising and unnecessary Sassy.

and stop wasting peoples time on here.

Again - suggesting supporting numbers for your view. If you think I'm wasting your time just don't reply - quite happy with that.

See you when you next pop in... :D

You never know your luck.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
How many of those with over 9.000 are from posts in the music thread?

I have maybe posted once or twice in the music thread.

Get a life Jeremyp and realise most of mine are answering threads. Not true of others is it?

Since most of your posts consist of canned scripture quotes, let's discard those arbitrarily. You're not looking so good now, are you. In fact, once we have done the pruning of your scripture posts, I bet Maeght's posts outnumber yours.

You forget most of the threads are cut and posts lost so the count lessens. Even with the loss I still have 3 times that of the person I am responding to. You don't even have that with mine.
Firstly, the count does not lessen when they prune the board.

Secondly, I have nearly twice the number of posts that you do, so why don't you put a sock in it?

I guess the clue was about commenting on the contents of my posts... Clue being he is not here often enough to note the whole members of the board....

You claim post count matters until somebody with more posts than you calls you out on that. You are a hypocrite. If your god exists, he probably face palms every time you log into this forum because he knows you are going to spout some stupid nonsense.

Post count is irrelevant, argue the point, not the man.