Author Topic: Isaiah 52:13-53: whatever..  (Read 62815 times)

Étienne d'Angleterre

Re: Isaiah 52:13-53: whatever..
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2016, 06:40:35 PM »

(I would make one exception, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was prepared to take Hitler's life in order to spare many others.)

This strikes me as odd.

Clearly as I don't believe in a tri-Omni God then I think bumping him off would have been a sensible approach.

However, if I did believe in the tri-Omni God why would I? I mean if it had been God's will that Hitler had been bumped off then he would have been. Wouldn't he? A world in which a holocaust happened must be more optimal than one in which God would have prevented it.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
This strikes me as odd.

Clearly as I don't believe in a tri-Omni God then I think bumping him off would have been a sensible approach.

However, if I did believe in the tri-Omni God why would I? I mean if it had been God's will that Hitler had been bumped off then he would have been. Wouldn't he? A world in which a holocaust happened must be more optimal than one in which God would have prevented it.

I am sure many people would have been very happy to bump off Hitler as you put it.But finding the opportunity may have been difficult.

~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

floo

« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
I am sure many people would have been very happy to bump off Hitler as you put it.But finding the opportunity may have been difficult.

~TW~

Ah but eventually human ingenuity would could up with a way of bumping it off, if necessary.

Shaker

« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:01 AM »

~TW~
It nearly happened in 1944 (the Stauffenberg bomb). It was only by sheer random chance that Hitler escaped with minor burns.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
It nearly happened in 1944 (the Stauffenberg bomb). It was only by sheer random chance that Hitler escaped with minor burns.

Not interested Shaker Leave Hitler to the Lord.
~TW~
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

Shaker

« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
You're welcome ::)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2016, 09:50:23 AM »
This strikes me as odd.

No, many (most?) Christisns believe that people are God's instruments. Whether they believe they are directed by God or simply following the moral teachings of Jesus, few Christians just sit back and let stuff happen. Otherwise there would be no Christian humanitarianism for starters.

So many Christians would argue that Hitler's success in creating the Holocaust arose from the failure of people to act.

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:49 AM »
No, many (most?) Christisns believe that people are God's instruments. Whether they believe they are directed by God or simply following the moral teachings of Jesus, few Christians just sit back and let stuff happen. Otherwise there would be no Christian humanitarianism for starters.

So many Christians would argue that Hitler's success in creating the Holocaust arose from the failure of people to act.

I get that. But, for me the problem comes in believing this all to have been set in motion by a perfect tri-Omni God? It's the only world that could exist surely.

Khatru

« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
Looks like you have hit the fan.
~TW~

Strange you mentioned fan as Christians in hot countries tend to mutter at the ceiling fan, while those in cooler climes will mutter at the ceiling light. 

I've got a bit of catching up to do but I have enjoyed you obsessing over my absence.

Now then, Isaiah getting it wrong.....

Check out Isaiah 7 and read how the god of the Bible told Isaiah to prophesise that the attack against Ahaz in Judah by Ephraim, Israel and Syria would be a failure.

Isaiah 7....

3 Then said the Lord unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;

4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.

5 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,

6 Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:

7 Thus saith the Lord God, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.

Well?  Did this come to pass?  Did the attack fail as Isaiah had prophesised?

Well, the attack succeeded, which shows that Isaiah got it wrong and his prophecy failed.....

Ahaz was twenty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned sixteen years in Jerusalem: but he did not that which was right in the sight of the Lord, like David his father.

2 Chronicles 28:1

5 Wherefore the Lord his God delivered him into the hand of the king of Syria; and they smote him, and carried away a great multitude of them captives, and brought them to Damascus. And he was also delivered into the hand of the king of Israel, who smote him with a great slaughter.

6 For Pekah the son of Remaliah slew in Judah an hundred and twenty thousand in one day, which were all valiant men; because they had forsaken the Lord God of their fathers.

7 And Zichri, a mighty man of Ephraim, slew Maaseiah the king's son, and Azrikam the governor of the house, and Elkanah that was next to the king.

8 And the children of Israel carried away captive of their brethren two hundred thousand, women, sons, and daughters, and took also away much spoil from them, and brought the spoil to Samaria.

2 Chronicles 28:5-8

This failed prophecy is part of the "proof" believers cite that Jesus virgin birth was prophesised.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
Strange you mentioned fan as Christians in hot countries tend to mutter at the ceiling fan, while those in cooler climes will mutter at the ceiling light. 

I've got a bit of catching up to do but I have enjoyed you obsessing over my absence.

Check out Isaiah 7 and read how the god of the Bible told Isaiah to prophesise that the attack against Ahaz in Judah by Ephraim, Israel and Syria would be a failure.

Isaiah 7....

Well, the attack succeeded, which shows that Isaiah got it wrong and his prophecy failed.....

This failed prophecy is part of the "proof" believers cite that Jesus virgin birth was prophesised.

In order that you do not get your knickers in a twist this post is to let you know I have seen it and will answer in due course.

If only the rest of you could reply in such an honest fashion if only.

~TW~

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #335 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »

Isaiah 7....

Taking a serious look at this I confess I can make no sense of it at all,you need to link me to where you first found this,or you need to rewrite it out.I am perfectly willing  to answer your point when you explain it better.Back to you.
~TW~
Ps have found where you got this from so leave it with me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:30:36 PM by ~TW~ »

Spud

« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »

Isaiah 7....

Gill's commentary says,

"these two separately came up against Judah, and greatly distressed and afflicted the kingdom, slew many, and carried others captive, 2 Kings 15:37 but afterwards, in the third (w) or fourth (x) year of Ahaz, as it is said, they joined together to besiege Jerusalem, which this refers to, 2 Kings 16:5,"

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/gill/isaiah/7.htm

Owlswing

« Reply #337 on: May 16, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »

~TW~

Fom: Shaker on 14-05-2016

Not interested Shaker Leave Hitler to the Lord.

~TW~

Is it not possible that sheer random chance equals the Lord's intervention?

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Sassy

« Reply #338 on: May 16, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
In Psalm 139

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Every persons days are in a book before they begin.

Hitler was not just brought down or executed so that his beliefs could be continued by someone else.
God not only defeated his armies and his plans he completely destroyed Hitler. Destroyed him in such a way he would never
rise again. It is a message to all who would dominate the world and society with evil and lies.
In the end God has the final say to mans plans.

Hitler was responsible for his own evil.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #339 on: May 16, 2016, 01:19:16 PM »
Hitler was executed?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

jjohnjil

« Reply #340 on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
In Psalm 139

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Hitler was not just brought down or executed so that his beliefs could be continued by someone else.
God not only defeated his armies and his plans he completely destroyed Hitler. Destroyed him in such a way he would never
rise again. It is a message to all who would dominate the world and society with evil and lies.

You tell us it isn't the doctors and surgeons who cure people of life threatening diseases, it's God.  When a paramedic pulls someone out of an accident and gives them heart massage to save their life, it's Goddidit.

But when Hitler ordered 7 million murders, there's no Goddidit involved!  It was all Hitler's fault, only he was responsible for his evil.

Weird! 

Sassy

« Reply #341 on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
Hitler was executed?

As it says
Hitler was not just brought down or executed
He shot himself in a bunker.
Why? Because he was utterly defeated with no where to run.
So Hitler not just brought down or executed. He was driven and his plans completely destroyed  till he had to take his own life.

To bring him down or just execute him would have made him a martyr to some. His cause would never have ran full circle and his evil would never have been fully realised. However, it run it's course and it brought about his own destruction and disgrace in failure.

A permanent reminder and warning to anyone who believes they can actually get away with such evil that they cannot.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #342 on: May 16, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
In Psalm 139

As usual assertions without evidence!

floo

« Reply #343 on: May 16, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »
As it says  He shot himself in a bunker.
So Hitler not just brought down or executed. He was driven and his plans completely destroyed  till he had to take his own life.

To bring him down or just execute him would have made him a martyr to some. His cause would never have ran full circle and his evil would never have been fully realised. However, it run it's course and it brought about his own destruction and disgrace in failure.

A permanent reminder and warning to anyone who believes they can actually get away with such evil that they cannot.

Hitler committed suicide, nothing to do with any deity.

Sassy

« Reply #344 on: May 16, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
You tell us it isn't the doctors and surgeons who cure people of life threatening diseases, it's God.

God made the way for surgery known and possible. In Genesis 2 :21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
God performed the first surgery and gave the idea man could be put to sleep and not feel the pain.
As he created doctors and gave the first idea for healing medicines through the bible. He gets my vote.
Opps forgot he created mans body and the men who operate.

When a paramedic pulls someone out of an accident and gives them heart massage to save their life, it's Goddidit.
God created a heart that could massaged. Mouth to mouth resusitation came from the bible too.

It was these verses that made the person who thought of mouth to mouth resusitation think of the possibility.

34 And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm.

35 Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.

But when Hitler ordered 7 million murders, there's no Goddidit involved!  It was all Hitler's fault, only he was responsible for his evil.

Weird!

What you compare murder to saving life?

Grow up and don't make yourself look so stupid.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:38:11 PM by Sassy »

Sassy

« Reply #345 on: May 16, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »
Hitler committed suicide, nothing to do with any deity.
Read two posts before yours...

floo

« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
God made the way for surgery known and possible. In Genesis 2 :21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
God performed the first surgery and gave the idea man could be put to sleep and not feel the pain.
As he created doctors and gave the first idea for healing medicines through the bible. He gets my vote.

God created a heart that could massaged. Mouth to mouth resusitation came from the bible too.

It was these verses that made the person who thought of mouth to mouth resusitation think of the possibility.

34 And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm.

35 Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.

It is you who needs to grow up and stop making daft assertions without the evidence to back them up!

jjohnjil

« Reply #347 on: May 16, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »

I doubt if there's time for me to grow up like you, Sassy - and that's one thing I do thank the lord for!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #348 on: May 16, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »
As it says  He shot himself in a bunker.

Mussoloni  was executed. Was that because he wasn't as bad as Adolf?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #349 on: May 16, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
And a kilt, sporran and plate of haggis does not a Scotsman make ;)
With respect, that strikes me as playing fast and loose with your definition - Bonhoeffer is in because he did, or would have done, something you approve of, but the others are out.

Wouldn't like to have been in Bonhoeffer's shoes when he made his decision, though. Many 'Christians' in history have seemed to have been very happy about 'smiting', quite convinced they were on the side of the right. I imagine Herr B agonised, and he paid a high price for his decision, though he might well have got it in the neck in any case.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David