Author Topic: Condemn or Approve?  (Read 17658 times)

The god of the Bible carries out acts of genocide and approves of killing homosexuals, people who have sex outside of marriage as well as people who practice freedom of religion

Do you condemn the Bible god's  actions?
9 (81.8%)
Do you approve of the Bible god's actions?
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Condemn or Approve?  (Read 17658 times)

Khatru

Condemn or Approve?
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »
It would be helpful if this poll was answered by believers only!   8)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Condemn or Approve?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
You do realise that "Jehovah" is a mistake made by a Christian when transcribing the Jewish Bible, don't you?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
I found the phraseology of the questions clumsy Khatru and think it might be easier if you posed one question with the option of a yes or no answer. Just my opinion.

Jeremy is correct about ''Jehovah'';   YHWH is the way Jews expressed the name of God - no vowels because God was considered too awesome for his name to be uttered.  Another word that often used is ''Yahweh'' which is equally incorrect because of the vowels.  The New Jerusalem Bible (widely used by Catholics), used ''Yahweh'', but corrected it in later editions.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:41:20 PM by Brownie »
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »
If the Biblical deity actually existed instead of being the mythical entity I believe it to be, we should be doing our best to rid the universe of such an evil tyrant.

Khatru

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:11:29 PM »
Some backflips by believers who don't like what they see when the question is asked?

OK, despite the semantics, I'll amend the question.

Dorothy Parker

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
I'd like it on record that I have heeded the comment and neither of the two votes registered so far is mine.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
Khatru, since the Biblical God's actions go far beyond the questionable list you give, I'm afraid that I can't honestly answer the poll.  Mind you, I doubt whether you really want anyone to answer it, as we've done this set of issues multitudinous times - often courtesy of Floo.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Owlswing

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
Khatru, since the Biblical God's actions go far beyond the questionable list you give, I'm afraid that I can't honestly answer the poll.  Mind you, I doubt whether you really want anyone to answer it, as we've done this set of issues multitudinous times - often courtesy of Floo.

Typical Hope cop-out! As expected.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 11:17:09 PM »
Typical Hope cop-out! As expected.
Owl, cop-outs involve refusing to face the issues.  Over the years, we have discussed the very examples Khatru has given on numerous occasions - often, as I pointed out, instigated by OPs from Floo - and seen that within nomadic tribes that were seeking to retain their identity such things were commonplace.  It is interesting that, like Floo, Khatru has chosen examples that date to an era that the Jewish people were nomadic and small in numbers, compared with the other 'tribal nations' around them.  Furthermore, he then tries to get Christians, especially, to judge the behaviour of people is such vastly different situations.  Its a bit like asking 21st century atheists to condemn or condone Roman attitudes to women.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:30 PM »
If the Biblical deity actually existed instead of being the mythical entity I believe it to be, we should be doing our best to rid the universe of such an evil tyrant.
How would you go about getting rid of God?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:00:12 AM »
Owl, cop-outs involve refusing to face the issues.  Over the years, we have discussed the very examples Khatru has given on numerous occasions - often, as I pointed out, instigated by OPs from Floo - and seen that within nomadic tribes that were seeking to retain their identity such things were commonplace.  It is interesting that, like Floo, Khatru has chosen examples that date to an era that the Jewish people were nomadic and small in numbers, compared with the other 'tribal nations' around them.  Furthermore, he then tries to get Christians, especially, to judge the behaviour of people is such vastly different situations.  Its a bit like asking 21st century atheists to condemn or condone Roman attitudes to women.
Yes, I think we have to consider that these people were on a war footing.

War is obviously a failure but we are ourselves a civilisation who vilify people who say that weapons of mass destruction shouldn't be.

Leonard James

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »
How would you go about getting rid of God?

Simple! Ignore him, and he would get bored and leave us to it.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:30 AM »
I think this question is what is commonly known as a "straw man". It reminds me of the Daily Express phone polls with questions such as "Do you think that Britain should stay within such a morally bankrupt organisation such as the EU"?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
Simple! Ignore him, and he would get bored and leave us to it.
Except that wouldn't get rid of either him oir the concept.  Remember that he makes it very plain that what he wants is followers who believe in him, not followers out of a sense of duty or tradition.  Luke, in his gospel, puts it this way - ‘It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but those who are ill.'  Clearly, there are folk here who feel that they and society as a whole are perfectly 'healthy' and are without need of God; there are then others who believe that they and society as a whole are not well, and feel the need of such a helper. 

You'll never get rid of God, or the sense of the divine.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »
Except that wouldn't get rid of either him oir the concept.  Remember that he makes it very plain that what he wants is followers who believe in him, not followers out of a sense of duty or tradition.  Luke, in his gospel, puts it this way - ‘It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but those who are ill.'  Clearly, there are folk here who feel that they and society as a whole are perfectly 'healthy' and are without need of God; there are then others who believe that they and society as a whole are not well, and feel the need of such a helper. 

What fitless wuckery! If you believe in an omni god, then this is the only way society can be. Not believing in gods has nothing to do with one's opinion of society.

Sassy

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
It would be helpful if this poll was answered by believers only!   8)

DID you answer it?
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 09:29:43 AM »
You do realise that "Jehovah" is a mistake made by a Christian when transcribing the Jewish Bible, don't you?

You means the Jewish scholars who translated the OT got it wrong?

More chance of you being wrong... isn't there?
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Leonard James

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »

There is no such thing as a "healthy society", except in the evolutionary sense. Humans are simply a product of evolution, and unavoidably come in all forms, ranging from what we call "good" to what we call "bad". But that is purely human nomenclature, and means nothing to nature or the rest of life on earth.

While life exists it has always been so and always will be so, and there is nothing that "God" or his cohorts and followers can do to change that.

We have a judicial system which aims at maximising our lives, but you can't make a silken purse out of a sow's ear.  :)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
There is no such thing as a "healthy society", except in the evolutionary sense. Humans are simply a product of evolution, and unavoidably come in all forms, ranging from what we call "good" to what we call "bad". But that is purely human nomenclature, and means nothing to nature or the rest of life on earth.
You're entitled to your opinion, Len - but evidence to support it would be useful.  Notice that using evolution to prove itself won't be acceptable.

I would also disagree about whether or not there is such a think as a healthy or unhealthy society.  In my view, a society that places individuals above community, money above people's welfare, regards the elderly as burdensome and the young as wasters - to name but a few - isn't just unhealthy but seriously sick. 

While life exists it has always been so and always will be so, and there is nothing that "God" or his cohorts and followers can do to change that.
Oddly enough, there are places in this world where some, though not all, the ailments of western society don't exist.  People in those societies are often far happier than their counterparts in the west.

We have a judicial system which aims at maximising our lives, but you can't make a silken purse out of a sow's ear.  :)
Could you restate that comment in plain English, Len?

Khatru

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »

It's a simple enough question but it seems to cause you problems.

What is it with believers and their reluctance to answer questions?

Unlike the believers, I think most unbelievers will always try to answer a question posed by another person, regardless of the question, or indeed, who is posing it.

Will we always answer it to complete satisfaction?

Sometimes we will, sometimes not at all and sometimes never.  However, as a believer, I for one really dislike walking away from a question without at least trying to answer it.  Seems that this is a personal standard shared by many unbelievers and not-so-many believers.  It's a good quality.

Sure, we can be seen as arrogant at times; even forceful in our pursuit of accountability.  Unlike believers, we  have no problem being scrutinised and we are also able to elucidate in a way that can be understood by anyone willing to apply the same effort at understanding that we place ourselves out there to be scrutinised.

What I notice with theists is they like to jut the chin out and challenge.  However, try asking them a question that requires them to inspect what they think and you'll find they will try to shift the point of discussion to some sort of "only I can understand it" slant.

So, it's rare you run across an atheist that won't put themselves up to be picked apart or explain why they think as they do.

If it can be understood by one, it can by all, no desire or faith required.

Dorothy Parker

Leonard James

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
You're entitled to your opinion, Len - but evidence to support it would be useful.  Notice that using evolution to prove itself won't be acceptable.

In some ways I am like you!  :)

I would also disagree about whether or not there is such a think as a healthy or unhealthy society.  In my view, a society that places individuals above community, money above people's welfare, regards the elderly as burdensome and the young as wasters - to name but a few - isn't just unhealthy but seriously sick.

I agree, but that's nothing more than our opinion.

Oddly enough, there are places in this world where some, though not all, the ailments of western society don't exist.  People in those societies are often far happier than their counterparts in the west.

Oh dear, I agree again.  :( Modern society is far too interested in "getting on in life" than in creating happiness.

Could you restate that comment in plain English, Len?

Certainly. Our judicial system attempts to control antisocial activity and punish miscreants, but you can't alter human nature.

Khatru

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »

We really don't need to be told about the prevailing social economics/culture/morality of the day.

The fact is that you refuse to condemn the murderous acts carried out by the Bible god which is why you appear to favour the following:

Slavery
Genocide
Incest
Killing homosexuals
Killing people who have sex outside of marriage
Killing people who opt for freedom of religion 
Killing brides who aren't virgins on their wedding night
Killing your children if they curse or strike you
Killing people who blaspheme against your god
Killing people who work on a Saturday

Of course, you only favour the items in the above list when you believe them to be divinely endorsed.  Otherwise you'd be the first to condemn.  Right?

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »
DID you answer it?

I didn't answer it but if I certainly don't approve of the tyrannical acts that believers seem to.

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »
I think this question is what is commonly known as a "straw man". It reminds me of the Daily Express phone polls with questions such as "Do you think that Britain should stay within such a morally bankrupt organisation such as the EU"?

A straw-man argument is all about deliberately mis-representing someone's position in order to make them look weak.

I'm trying to find out believers positions. 

What I'm getting from them are metaphorical somersaults and backflips.  Anything but answer the question.

Dorothy Parker

Khatru

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:10 AM »

Nicely put

In very much the same way, no nation is evil. 

Those that govern/rule -yes
An entire nation/people - no

Of course, if the Bible god approves, then the slaughter of an entire nation is a wonderful thing!

Dorothy Parker