Author Topic: Dan Walker  (Read 11065 times)

Bubbles

Re: Dan Walker
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
I would have thought it would have been important for a presenter or journalist to be in tune with his audience.

If he can present something and do that I don't suppose it matters, however there is always the chance he won't recognise when he isn't.

Shaker

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »
I would have thought it would have been important for a presenter or journalist to be in tune with his audience.

If he can present something and do that I don't suppose it matters, however there is always the chance he won't recognise when he isn't.
Very true.

Given the nature of the programme and the fact that scientific stories make headline news fairly regularly, he's now going to feel under especial scrutiny every time one such news item arises. Which may in fact be no bad thing for him - it may serve to keep him on his tootsies -, but he won't be unaware that there will be no small number of viewers sitting at home thinking: "But you think the planet is 6,000 years old!"
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
Which immediately trashes the credibility of the programme.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
Very true.

Given the nature of the programme and the fact that scientific stories make headline news fairly regularly, he's now going to feel under especial scrutiny every time one such news item arises. Which may in fact be no bad thing for him - it may serve to keep him on his tootsies -, but he won't be unaware that there will be no small number of viewers sitting at home thinking: "But you think the planet is 6,000 years old!"
Which is why it is better (in a Brian Redhead sense) that those being interviewed and those at home watching or listening aren't able to think that - in other words that the presenter or report's personal and private views remain just that, personal and private.

Now he may well be fine, but there will forever be a question mark on his ability to carry out such interviews if people know he thinks the basic idea is junk. Remember just yesterday the biggest news story was gravitational waves, detected because of events that occurred over a billion years ago. If we know that the person covering that news story thinks that the universe is only 6000 years old is his credibility not seriously undermined.

Shaker

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 02:35:55 PM »
Which immediately trashes the credibility of the programme.
I don't know - his credibility, certainly, and possibly that of whoever hired him. The programme is bigger than any one presenter and will be around long after he's gone.

We enjoy freedom of religion in this country - lots don't - and the man is perfectly entitled to believe whatever ludicrous, reality-denying beliefs he chooses to entertain as a private individual. (Though given the age at which he came by them, the word 'choice' is moot). I don't want this to come across as any sort of witch-hunt or any kind of infringement of his freedom of belief. But given the nature of his occupation it's inevitable that there's going to be some sort of serious cognitive dissonance at work.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »
I don't know - his credibility, certainly, and possibly that of whoever hired him. The programme is bigger than any one presenter and will be around long after he's gone.

We enjoy freedom of religion in this country - lots don't - and the man is perfectly entitled to believe whatever ludicrous, reality-denying beliefs he chooses to entertain as a private individual. (Though given the age at which he came by them, the word 'choice' is moot). I don't want this to come across as any sort of witch-hunt or any kind of infringement of his freedom of belief. But given the nature of his occupation it's inevitable that there's going to be some sort of serious cognitive dissonance at work.

Maybe it's just me but if I'm seeing an interviewer nodding along with a guest I like to think he or she isn't thinking that the subject matter is complete bollocks.

I think this is down to the move from sports media to news media. One doesn't really require any credibility on the part of the presenters. The other does - in spades. There are theists who work or have worked in news media and retained their credibility and that of their outlets - Jeremy Vine and Ian Hislop being obvious examples. It's purely because Dan Walker's views are so fringe even for most Christians that this has created such a stir.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:47:58 PM by Rhiannon »

Shaker

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
Good point. (IIRC Ian Hislop describes himself as a part-time theist - sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't. But you're certainly right about Jeremy Vine).

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
Maybe it's just me but if I'm seeing an interviewer nodding along with a guest I like to think he or she isn't thinking that the subject matter is complete bollocks.

I think this is down to the move from sports media to news media. One doesn't really require any credibility on the part of the presenters. The other does - in spades. There are theists who work or have worked in news media and retained their credibility and that of their outlets - Jeremy Vine and Ian Hislop being obvious examples. It's purely because Dan Walker's views are so fringe even for most Christians that this has created such a stir.
Yes it isn't him being religious - so are loads of people. It is that his views are particularly extreme and, if he is advocating hell and damnation, rather offensive.

Shaker

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »
Yes it isn't him being religious - so are loads of people. It is that his views are particularly extreme and, if he is advocating hell and damnation, rather offensive.
I find this sort of thing extremely disturbing and saddening:

The son of a Baptist preacher, Walker – who grew up in Crawley, West Sussex – has been a regular churchgoer all his life.

But he did not become devout until he was 12, when a preacher told him about 'the reality of hell for the unbeliever'.

Walker said: 'I remember sitting there feeling a deep conviction of sin and terror at the prospect of hell. I knew that I was offending God with the way I was acting and the life I was living, and the prospect of going to hell terrified me.'

I am on record as having said in the past, more than once, that children and religion go together like children and depleted uranium shells. This is why. What the actual fuck? Maybe I'm too old and out of touch - I want to think of twelve year-olds riding their bikes, making a nuisance of themselves with their mates, looking at pictures of ladies with no clothes on with their computers (the lads especially) and generally being twelve year-olds, not convicted of sin and terrified of hell.

Gonnagle

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »
Dear Rhiannon,

Never knew Jeremy Vine was religious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/4277439/Christians-are-becoming-social-pariahs-in-Britain-claims-Jeremy-Vine.html

In an interview with Reform, a magazine published by the United Reformed Church, Mr Vine says that he is forced to separate his personal beliefs from his role as a presenter.

Tony Blair revealed in 2007 that he had been unable to be open about his faith when Prime Minister for fear that people would label him a "nutter".

>:( >:( Your faith Mr Blair is only a small part of why we think you are a nutter.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Rhiannon

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 03:31:46 PM »
Good point. (IIRC Ian Hislop describes himself as a part-time theist - sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't. But you're certainly right about Jeremy Vine).

Yes - Hislop said something along the lines of sitting in church one week thinking 'this is all bollocks' and the next 'this is all there is'. Which isn't uncommon especially among Anglicans.

Shaker

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »
Dear Rhiannon,

His brother is the comedian Tim Vine (who makes me laugh like a drain, but that's just me) and is also one of the few Christian stand-up comedians. (Milton Jones is the only other one I know of, who also has me in histrionics).

>:( >:( Your faith Mr Blair is only a small part of why we think you are a nutter.
More to do with the fact that his actions pretty comprehensively deny, reject, abjure and contradict any and every part of it  >:(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:37:09 PM by Shaker »

Rhiannon

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
I find this sort of thing extremely disturbing and saddening:

I am on record as having said in the past, more than once, that children and religion go together like children and depleted uranium shells. This is why. What the actual fuck? Maybe I'm too old and out of touch - I want to think of twelve year-olds riding their bikes, making a nuisance of themselves with their mates, looking at pictures of ladies with no clothes on with their computers (the lads especially) and generally being twelve year-olds, not convicted of sin and terrified of hell.

Yes, same quote I read from him. Not good. :(

Shaker

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
This covers most of my opinion.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2016/02/dan-walkers-creationism-may-be-an-affront-to-science--but-hes-entitled-to-his-beliefs
I read that this morning and thought it was one of the best, fairest and most even-handed and gracious comments on the whole business.

What Vlad, who sees the NSS as Stalinist philosophical materialist anti-theist HQ, will make of it I dread to think.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
Dear Rhiannon,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/4277439/Christians-are-becoming-social-pariahs-in-Britain-claims-Jeremy-Vine.html

Reading the article, I think the whole point is about professionalism.

If I am a football commentator I may well support a particular team, but my professionalism means I must not let that cloud my judgement as a commentator.

As a political reporter I may well have particular political views, but my professionalism means I must not let that cloud my judgement as a commentator.

Likewise for someone with particular religious views.

That said there are, of course, situations where people are brought in specifically to give their views (op ed pieces) and then that's OK, but there needs to be balance in the broadcast media so we would be rather concerned if all the political personal views were from tories, and likewise we should be concerned if all the religious views come from theists.

But in his role on breakfast show, or Vine's he is there as an impartial reporter and must not allow his personal opinions to cloud the professional requirements of the job.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
Milton Jones is the only other one I know of, who also has me in histrionics

So when you see him on the telly, you get offended and react in an excessive way?

He just makes me laugh.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
If I am a football commentator I may well support a particular team, but my professionalism means I must not let that cloud my judgement as a commentator.

Coughalan coughgreen
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Gonnagle

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
Dear Shaker,

Tim Vine is his brother ;D ;D that guy cracks me up, ;D

So I went in to a pet shop. I said, "Can I buy a goldfish?" The guy said, "Do you want an aquarium?" I said, "I don't care what star sign it is."

source: http://jokes4us.com/peoplejokes/comedianjokes/timvinejokes.html

His patter is just so stupidly funny it borders on genius, and he is a Christian ;D ;D

So this bloke says to me, "Can I come in your house and talk about your carpets?" I thought "That's all I need, a Je-hoover's witness".

Gonnagle.

Rhiannon

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
His brother is the comedian Tim Vine (who makes me laugh like a drain, but that's just me) and is also one of the few Christian stand-up comedians. (Milton Jones is the only other one I know of, who also has me in histrionics).

Frank Skinner's a practicing RC.

Shaker

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
Frank Skinner's a practicing RC.
Yes, you're right! That one temporarily slipped my memorial.

Shaker

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 03:55:29 PM »
So when you see him on the telly, you get offended and react in an excessive way?

He just makes me laugh.
Dough.

Gonnagle

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »
Dear Shaker,

Milton Jones

The Pope loves cats, he is a cat a holic
:P :P

Sorry! sorry, serious thread, normal service will now be resumed. :-[

Sorry again, just one more Tim Vine, well it is Friday.

You see my next door neighbour worships exhaust pipes, he's a catholic converter.

Gonnagle.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
My other grandad was very sick so we rubbed his back with margarine. After that, he went downhill fast.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »
Hope

Here you are today's Telegraph says " Dan Walkers creationism is an affront to reason, science and logic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12152098/Dan-Walkers-creationism-is-an-affront-to-reason-science-and-logic.html
Thanks for that, john.  I've been without internet much of today, so wouldn't have been able to catch up with the issue even had I'd had the time.

Perhaps they will soon appoint David Icke as science correspondent !
Seem to remember that ITV have already done that.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools