Author Topic: Dan Walker  (Read 11058 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Dan Walker
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
News presentation is different to sports or the arts when you consider the nature of the interviews that form a big part of the content. I've read some of his views (particularly about unbelievers going to hell) and I just don't think he's right for the job - he will have some very sensitive interviews to conduct and IME a belief in damnation for those not in God's club and sensitivity don't go hand in hand.
He's not the first Christian to hold such a role - don't recall previous presenters (not merely BBC TV's) having any problems despite sharing that particular understanding.  One could suggest that atheists should not be presenters because of 'some very sensitive interviews (they have) to conduct'.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »
"Do you know Marie Osmond is about to appear in the world's worst film?"

"Warner Brothers?"

"I already have!"
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Rhiannon

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »
He's not the first Christian to hold such a role - don't recall previous presenters (not merely BBC TV's) having any problems despite sharing that particular understanding.  One could suggest that atheists should not be presenters because of 'some very sensitive interviews (they have) to conduct'.

Such as?

Shaker

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »
He's not the first Christian to hold such a role - don't recall previous presenters (not merely BBC TV's) having any problems despite sharing that particular understanding.
Where is the comparable prior situation? Or who, rather? Which "understanding" are you referring to? Creationism isn't an understanding; it's a belief. (And is the polar opposite of understanding, while we're about it). Theism itself isn't an understanding but a belief, come to that, as most vaguely sane theists are content to acknowledge. Where is the other TV presenter who thinks in the teeth of all scientific knowledge that the Earth was supernaturally created before the development of agriculture in the human species having to interview real scientists talking about actual science, as Walker will have to before very much more time has passed?
One could suggest that atheists should not be presenters because of 'some very sensitive interviews (they have) to conduct'.
One could suggest it, but it would be a quite remarkably stupid thing for one to suggest.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:16:43 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »
"Do you know Marie Osmond is about to appear in the world's worst film?"

"Warner Brothers?"

"I already have!"

That's brilliant.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »
I agree, he should be judged by his actions rather than (what we think are) his beliefs, but one could imagine problem scenarios ahead. How would he handle a guest appearance by Richard Dawkins  :o
Like everybody else, bow, scrape and fawn.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »
That's brilliant.

I hope that Thrud likes it as well!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 06:18:54 PM »
I hope that Thrud likes it as well!
What's not to like?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 06:21:07 PM »
I may be wrong but I certainly don't remember another situation involving a known young earth creationist in such a role. The point isn't that he is a mainstream christian (there are loads of those in such roles) but that his personal views are to such an extreme end of the spectrum, and based on dogma rather than reason/evidence that raises questions about his ability as a journalist, reporter and interviewer.

And I come back to my earliest point about there being a problem when the reporter becomes the news. This is clearly the case here and the BBC may be regretting their decision. He will need to be very careful not to bring his very extreme views into his professional role. If he doesn't then all will be well. If he does or they undermine his credibility as a reporter then there will be a problem.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
I may be wrong but I certainly don't remember another situation involving a known young earth creationist is such a role.

And I come back to my earliest point about there being a problem when the reporter becomes the news. This is clearly the case here and the BBC may be regretting their decision. He will need to be very careful not to bring his very extreme views into his professional role. If he doesn't then all will be well. If he does or they undermine his credibility as a reporter then there will be a problem.
The best scenario would be that he is sacked by the BBC who he sues for millions.
Richard Dawkins then phones up the BBC to ask when to turn up at Salford for his new show only to be told that it is cancelled because the money went to compensate Dan Walker..................Dawkins is then only allowed back on the Beeb if he is prepared to wear
a white rally drivers suit, a helmet with a black visor and is prepared to hang around in motor themed venues.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
The best scenario would be that he is sacked by the BBC who he sues for millions.
Richard Dawkins then phones up the BBC to ask when to turn up at Salford for his new show only to be told that it is cancelled because the money went to compensate Dan Walker..................Dawkins is then only allowed back on the Beeb if he is prepared to wear
a white rally drivers suit, a helmet with a black visor and is prepared to hang around in motor themed venues.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Richard Dawkins is a regular on BBC tv - certainly not in terms of his own shows in the manner of Brian Cox or some of the tele-historians.

I think the BBC have largely shied away from giving him his own show - mostly he has worked for Channel 4 I think.

Shaker

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2016, 07:26:07 PM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think Richard Dawkins is a regular on BBC tv - certainly not in terms of his own shows in the manner of Brian Cox or some of the tele-historians.

I think the BBC have largely shied away from giving him his own show - mostly he has worked for Channel 4 I think.
Indeed. He did the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures for the BBC as far back as 1991 (that's a quarter of a century, Vlad), and although I can't immediately call any other examples to mind I suppose it's quite possible he's been a talking head on other BBC programmes; but his very few appearances on the lunatic lantern in his own right since then have been for Channel 4.

Incidentally, did anybody else know - I didn't until I just Googled him - that he's just suffered a stroke?

https://goo.gl/W3RUua
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:32:30 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »

Incidentally, did anybody else know - I didn't until I just Googled him - that he's just suffered a stroke?

Yes I knew that, it was reported on both Pharyngula and WEIT. It's apparently only minor and he is expected to make a near full recovery.

I'm surprised Vlad isn't on to it already given how much he is in love with the man.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
Yes I knew that, it was reported on both Pharyngula and WEIT. It's apparently only minor and he is expected to make a near full recovery.

I'm surprised Vlad isn't on to it already given how much he is in love with the man.
I stopped visiting Pharyngula after the Michael Shermer affair, never been back since on principle, and haven't dropped by Jerry's place yet today.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
I stopped visiting Pharyngula after the Michael Shermer affair, never been back since on principle,
I still have my RSS feed which I monitor because the frequent road crashes are quite entertaining. Pharyngula long since stopped being relevant in any meaningful way.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2016, 06:37:58 AM »
I believe the bedazzling Dan was talking about new species of T Rex today, didn't see it, how did he do?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
I believe the bedazzling Dan was talking about new species of T Rex today, didn't see it, how did he do?
Didn't seem to disturb him - but the main discussion isn't until later.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
Anybody know how no-dinosaurs Dan has done?

Rhiannon

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/creationist-dan-walker-looks-uncomfortable-7558665

Not my opinion as I didn't watch it.
Can't say that he looked any more uncomfortable (in the short clip from the mirror website) than Charlie or some of the other presenters when they have to sit and let the other presenter do all the talking.